Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Published in the BMJ today

https://nutrition.bmj.com/content/bmjnph/early/2020/10/21/bmjnph-2020-000072.full.pdf

Editing to add a photo with a neat - readable on mobile - summary.

585DAA11-B205-4531-BEFB-63D897B6374C.jpeg

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for posting this. it is a formal writeup of what is now 6 years that the Norwood GP Practice has been offering this treatment to diabetic and prediabetic patients, and I presume this is the latest update to that study.

I note that eat-to-meter is not included in the standard advice they give, and I suspect that those of us here following a similar course of action but also using GMBG may get better results. I certainly have. But this shows how it works in the general populace which is good work and well done.

One surprise I noted was the HDL results were surprisingly lower than what my GP cribsheet suggests is 'normal' on all the cohorts.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My biggest takeaway is how those diagnosed >72 months (6 years) improved their HbA1c from 73 down to 49. They wouldn't have even qualified for Taylor's Direct Study, entry critereia <6 years since diagnosis. I'm starting to believe that a balance of both approaches yields the best results. Also the dietry advice printed is a bit broad, I would have like to have seen daily carb totals prescribed with some patient record of adherence. Still very inspiring though.

Reactions: Goonergal

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My biggest takeaway is how those diagnosed >72 months (6 years) improved their HbA1c from 73 down to 49. They wouldn't have even qualified for Taylor's Direct Study, entry critereia <6 years since diagnosis. I'm starting to believe that a balance of both approaches yields the best results. Also the dietry advice printed is a bit broad, I would have like to have seen daily carb totals prescribed with some patient record of adherence. Still very inspiring though.
I am not surprised. I was DX'ed 30+ years ago, and I used LC dieting to reduce my weight from 17 stones to 10 stones, and my HbA1c from 101 to 40 and come off most of my diabetic meds. Without my meter, it would be a different story, so it is encouraging to see what Dr Unwin has achieved without the meter for that group of patients. I wonder if he is doing any follow up on those who 'completed' the course.

Reactions: DJC3 and Redshank

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if he is doing any follow up on those who 'completed' the course.
Having had the pleasure of meeting the man himself (and Jen as well) a couple of times I'd guess his follow up will be continuous.
I've never met such a self effacing guy who has done so much good.

Reactions: Redshank

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having had the pleasure of meeting the man himself (and Jen as well) a couple of times I'd guess his follow up will be continuous.
I've never met such a self effacing guy who has done so much good.

What he ^^^^ said on all counts.

He always attributes the start of his journey to a patient who was, a that time, an n1.

I always think there is nothing so empowering as an open mind, nor disabling than a closed one. Shame not everyone can be as openminded as David was all those years ago.

Nice, nice, nice man.