1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

LCHF and Type 2 - Dr Unwin’s latest research

Discussion in 'Diabetes Research' started by Goonergal, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    #1 Goonergal, Nov 3, 2020 at 9:34 AM
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  2. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Thank you for posting this. it is a formal writeup of what is now 6 years that the Norwood GP Practice has been offering this treatment to diabetic and prediabetic patients, and I presume this is the latest update to that study.

I note that eat-to-meter is not included in the standard advice they give, and I suspect that those of us here following a similar course of action but also using GMBG may get better results. I certainly have. But this shows how it works in the general populace which is good work and well done.

One surprise I noted was the HDL results were surprisingly lower than what my GP cribsheet suggests is 'normal' on all the cohorts.

3. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My biggest takeaway is how those diagnosed >72 months (6 years) improved their HbA1c from 73 down to 49. They wouldn't have even qualified for Taylor's Direct Study, entry critereia <6 years since diagnosis. I'm starting to believe that a balance of both approaches yields the best results. Also the dietry advice printed is a bit broad, I would have like to have seen daily carb totals prescribed with some patient record of adherence. Still very inspiring though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

I am not surprised. I was DX'ed 30+ years ago, and I used LC dieting to reduce my weight from 17 stones to 10 stones, and my HbA1c from 101 to 40 and come off most of my diabetic meds. Without my meter, it would be a different story, so it is encouraging to see what Dr Unwin has achieved without the meter for that group of patients. I wonder if he is doing any follow up on those who 'completed' the course.

• Like Like x 2
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Having had the pleasure of meeting the man himself (and Jen as well) a couple of times I'd guess his follow up will be continuous.
    I've never met such a self effacing guy who has done so much good.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

8. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

What he ^^^^ said on all counts.

He always attributes the start of his journey to a patient who was, a that time, an n1.

I always think there is nothing so empowering as an open mind, nor disabling than a closed one. Shame not everyone can be as openminded as David was all those years ago.

Nice, nice, nice man.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook