Any ideas why

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I use time restricted eating with most days being 18:6. I don't tend to eat before 2pm. I am 90% carnivore and drink either water or coffee with cream. I decided to fast this weekend from 17.30 on Saturday through to 19.00 on Monday. I am doing this for weight loss rather than glucose control as my projected Hba1c is 28 on MySugr. I rarely see anything above 5.5. My FBG for the last week has been about 4.2.
My question is why after fasting for over 48 hours have I managed to gain 2 lbs in weight?
I will admit that I did drink 2 cups of coffee with cream each day. Would that really be enough to add 2 lbs??
Any suggestions as to why it happened or how to start to shift the last 3/4 stone I need to, to get to my target. I have been stuck for over 12 months now.
It is a mystery to me and quite depressing!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps just a fluctuation? Hormonal (not sure of your age)? Or perhaps your body is trying to cling on to what it’s already got.

I remember having a problem after 5 consecutive days of OMAD and considerable daily walking while on holiday a few years ago. Switched things up a bit on the advice of @bulkbiker and ate a bit more for a couple of days, then weight loss resumed.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Fluid retention? I find weight fluctuations are quite normal even when my long term weight stays the same. Logically, you haven't gained real weight after fasting for 48 hours, but fluid retention could mask your actual weight.

Reactions: wobbles

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use time restricted eating with most days being 18:6. I don't tend to eat before 2pm. I am 90% carnivore and drink either water or coffee with cream. I decided to fast this weekend from 17.30 on Saturday through to 19.00 on Monday. I am doing this for weight loss rather than glucose control as my projected Hba1c is 28 on MySugr. I rarely see anything above 5.5. My FBG for the last week has been about 4.2.
My question is why after fasting for over 48 hours have I managed to gain 2 lbs in weight?
I will admit that I did drink 2 cups of coffee with cream each day. Would that really be enough to add 2 lbs??
Any suggestions as to why it happened or how to start to shift the last 3/4 stone I need to, to get to my target. I have been stuck for over 12 months now.

To be honest, I'd urge you to see what happens to your weight over the coming few days.

I'd say virtually everyone has a normal weight variation day to day. I allow myself +/-1kg as being a daily variation, if I haven't been eating unusually. If I've been banqueting - even LC banqueting, my weight can vary quite a bit more for a day or two.

If, during your fast, your relationship with the bathroom changed at all, you could just have had more "waste" in storage.

I ilay a small wager it'll sort itself out.

Reactions: Schmoukes

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I'd have a guess that you are both retaining water and maybe having some "transit" issues?
My weight varies quite a bit and can go up or on 2-3 pounds daily.
I still have about 25 pounds that I'd like to lose but its amazingly hard once your body has settled at a weight it is comfortable with (as I think mine has).
As @DCUKMod says give it a couple of days and you might find you normalise a bit and drop some pounds.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps just a fluctuation? Hormonal (not sure of your age)? Or perhaps your body is trying to cling on to what it’s already got.

I remember having a problem after 5 consecutive days of OMAD and considerable daily walking while on holiday a few years ago. Switched things up a bit on the advice of @bulkbiker and ate a bit more for a couple of days, then weight loss resumed.
I am 57 post menapausal so no great hormonal swings anymore

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am OMADing today with pork belly to look forward to this evening. So we will see how things go by the end of the week.
I wonder if low level background anxiety is a weight stalker. This current situation and the government handling of it does very little to induce a sense of calm in anyone.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if low level background anxiety is a weight stalker.

Could well be - cortisol doesn’t do anyone any favours, especially if there is any insulin resistance involved. I love pork belly!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you drink any water in addition to the coffees you mention? I thought it was important to drink lots of water (at least 2 litres a day) while fasting
NB I'm no expert and haven't fasted for more than 24 hours ever so might well be wrong

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I drink 3 to 4 pints of water a day.
@Goonergal pork belly is my favourite too. Unfortunately I didn't get to eat it yesterday. The door bell rang just as I was about to sit and eat it so off I went to answer it and I must not have closed the kitchen door fully as whe I came back in one or other of the dogs or both of them had helped themselves. The caller was a man from the council offering a grant for loft insulation. (I have so much insulation in my loft I can't get any more in)
I had to make do with 2 cook from frozed burgers!

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal pork belly is my favourite too. Unfortunately I didn't get to eat it yesterday. The door bell rang just as I was about to sit and eat it so off I went to answer it and I must not have closed the kitchen door fully as whe I came back in one or other of the dogs or both of them had helped themselves. The caller was a man from the council offering a grant for loft insulation. (I have so much insulation in my loft I can't get any more in)

I gave that a ‘funny’, but it’s also hug worthy. Naughty dogs!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@Bildad I’m tagging @DJC3 who also has a naughty dog!

Reactions: DJC3

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I gave that a ‘funny’, but it’s also hug worthy. Naughty dogs!

I hear tell that in some parts of the world where dog is eaten it is said to taste very much like pork !