F298132A-BE78-4793-8007-3E4CDE6C44BC.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve got some sticky stuff left that I used to use but in summer when short sleeves on think it looks odd , but as wearing long sleeves just now it would be practical.
To my thinking (but that's just for me, nothing to do with how you should feel about it!) a funny white disk doesn't look much more odd than a funny white disk with a transparent square of plastic over it. And I never see the back of my arms anyway so i can't be bothered.
But likely I'm just funny like that, took me 2 years to find out the sensors leave a black ring on your arm after removing :hilarious:
so I’ll go and get ready for Bake off now and see you all later
Please no telling what happens, I watch over the internet which means I'm a bit behind!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 You have my every sympathy. I was a double carer for a few years and its not easy. I also have an autistic relative and that's not easy either. (Both of which are huge understaements)

As a relative newbie thought perhaps i should introduce myself a little. I'm 60 something living in South East England with my recently retired husband and our adult son and 2 elderly cats. Still getting to grips with the tablet I use this forum on so photos will be few and far between as I don't sync this device with our others. I was diagnosed in the first lockdown week back in March so spend most evenings learning about diabetes from this forum, interspersed with playing online scrabble. Anyone else play? In the day I am keen cook and gardener.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@shelley262 I know exactly what you have on your adult-son plate. We've had times of non-safety with ours, and for him it will be a lifelong fight. He had EXCELLENT therapy for about 15 years but his work schedule and the therapist being less available (poor guy deserves his retirement!!!!) it's not happening now. I don't supposed your mum would voluntarily move near you....? Nahhh didn't think so. That's tough to do long distance.
@Annb please stay under the radar, literally!! We have occasionally made it a month or two past a car's due date without getting caught! Em! So glad to hear updates. I like the kid and I've never met her! She sounds like the kind of sister I would have liked for my boys-- loads of imagination, but way more organized with the follow-through.
@Mrs T 123 it went up to nearly 80 that day. We are having an extended warm sunny spell which will end tonight with the remains of a storm and then a cold front. Fall is Virginia's best season, I think!
@MrsA2 I play scrabble but only live, sorry! Half the fun's the tiles clicking and people watching!
Just got an Amazon shipment of baby toys for the grandson who just today mastered the exact same type of "crawling" his father did. Oh boy!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Great idea for a thread @zauberflote
Thanks for starting it up.
Some news re my nephew today, he has seen the consultant and is likely to have the tumour removed in the next month. It is not expected to be a difficult operation, keyhole surgery. But then there will be a wait for more tests. I really feel for his wife, who is in the early stages of pregnancy. It must be terribly worrying for both of them.
My son, who was notified he had been in contact with a positive case of Covid-19 and told to self isolate for nine days has been terribly bored and depressed. Today received another notification telling him his test was negative. This is good news in more than one way because he did not have a test. So he is in the clear, but also, whoever it was who should have been isolating, has not been wandering about oblivious and spreading the virus.
Proves the system does not work though.
We took the cat in for repair and MOT today and the new headlight has been delivered. Garageman, very obliging will pick it up in the morning. Am planning to see my parents again on Thursday or Friday, and then we are going to stay with son1. This us allowed because he is a single person in need of support.
The elderly aunt decided visitors were too dangerous. Sad, But a relief that we don't need to go to Wales and then to Norwich.
@MrsA2 We are in the Midlands, a bit south of Birmingham. Online scrabble, good idea. Have not played for years, but could be fun.
@Goonergal was inspired by your sunrise pics to try and capture today's, glimpsed through a window, but by the time I had got outside with shoes on, and walked to a suitable position, where I could see over the hedge, it was gone, obliterated by fog.
@shelley262 MrSlim was are ill enough to have two days in bed by that combination of jabs. Hope you feel better soon.
Tonight have been caught by that strange type of insomnia, whereby I do go to sleep, very briefly, and then cannot drop off again. Who are Ferdinand and Crystal? Where were we taking them? They were in the back of the car. I was dreaming, of course, but my dream characters dont usually have names.
It's now just gone 2am, going to see if I can sleep now.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To my thinking (but that's just for me, nothing to do with how you should feel about it!) a funny white disk doesn't look much more odd than a funny white disk with a transparent square of plastic over it. And I never see the back of my arms anyway so i can't be bothered.
But likely I'm just funny like that, took me 2 years to find out the sensors leave a black ring on your arm after removing :hilarious:

Please no telling what happens, I watch over the internet which means I'm a bit behind!

No spoilers from me. I don’t think this batch of bakers are as accomplished as in previous years - did you see the complete hash they all made of brownies? My 7 yo granddaughter can make brownies! I’m quite happy that they are a bit more amateurish this time though, makes it seem more attainable somehow.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy that sounds very encouraging and positive news about your nephew, such a worry with a new baby on the way though.
I was really surprised about the mix up with your sons testing results though. When I’ve had a test, the checks and double checks seemed exhaustive. I was really impressed with the speed and efficiency of the whole thing. I wonder how on Earth it happened? It’s quite troubling.
My niece was woken at2 am a couple of weeks ago by a notification from the NHS track and trace app. It said she had been in contact with a positive case and had to quarantine for 14 days. She was really scared and couldn’t sleep then. She told her mum in the morning but the message had disappeared - they wondered if she’d dreamed it but she was adamant. Her mum then phoned 111 to find out what to do -turns out they have a dedicated line because apparently this is a glitch! It’s a test to check the system is working can you believe??? If it’s a real result it stays there.

@shelley262 Cooper is still gorgeous, I’ve missed seeing him. @Goonergal I love the muddy paws and carrot nose photos..
Here is a photo of Dennis in all his full eyebrowed glory. We had an appointment at the groomers this week but they phoned to say they are open but not allowed to use scissors (not sure why) so he can only have a wash and brush or they can clip all his fur short. It’s too cold for that, and we like the Schnauzer Trouser look.
IMG_4046.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@SlimLizzy that sounds very encouraging and positive news about your nephew, such a worry with a new baby on the way though.
I was really surprised about the mix up with your sons testing results though. When I’ve had a test, the checks and double checks seemed exhaustive. I was really impressed with the speed and efficiency of the whole thing. I wonder how on Earth it happened? It’s quite troubling.
My niece was woken at2 am a couple of weeks ago by a notification from the NHS track and trace app. It said she had been in contact with a positive case and had to quarantine for 14 days. She was really scared and couldn’t sleep then. She told her mum in the morning but the message had disappeared - they wondered if she’d dreamed it but she was adamant. Her mum then phoned 111 to find out what to do -turns out they have a dedicated line because apparently this is a glitch! It’s a test to check the system is working can you believe??? If it’s a real result it stays there.

@shelley262 Cooper is still gorgeous, I’ve missed seeing him. @Goonergal I love the muddy paws and carrot nose photos..
Here is a photo of Dennis in all his full eyebrowed glory. We had an appointment at the groomers this week but they phoned to say they are open but not allowed to use scissors (not sure why) so he can only have a wash and brush or they can clip all his fur short. It’s too cold for that, and we like the Schnauzer Trouser look.View attachment 45313

2 am for a check?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since this is dog central here are Bill and Ben. The dogs are 11 months old brothers. The toys are my 17 month old, currently youngest, granddaughter's. Ben is laying on baby. Both have recently been "seen to" and Bill had a cancerous growth, usually found on old female dogs, removed. After 9 months a semblance of order is coming. Basically, we have lived in this room whilst walls have been knocked down, kitchen made suitable, garage converted and all toilets and bathrooms replaced. We still have a major move around of furniture and I would guess about 80% of our goods are still piled up - floor to ceiling - in what was the garage before conversion but will be my gym. At a push we can make 3 of the 4 bedrooms usable now. The other one has my weight machine until the boys can come and shift things so I can occupy the new gym. The kitchen is now functional having knocked through to the old dining room to make a kitchen lounge. That way we have windows both ends for light and ventilation in COVID world. We are in Breckland - basically a giant USAF aircraft park. The two military families either side are lovely. The Brits are not from The Fens - enough said. One son and his children are 5 mins walk away, another is 10 mins drive. 3rd son is in Southampton - I can't fathom why anyone wants to be there. Hope that isn't' TLDR

upload_2020-11-11_10-28-50.png

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Great idea for a thread @zauberflote
Thanks for starting it up.
Some news re my nephew today, he has seen the consultant and is likely to have the tumour removed in the next month. It is not expected to be a difficult operation, keyhole surgery. But then there will be a wait for more tests. I really feel for his wife, who is in the early stages of pregnancy. It must be terribly worrying for both of them.
My son, who was notified he had been in contact with a positive case of Covid-19 and told to self isolate for nine days has been terribly bored and depressed. Today received another notification telling him his test was negative. This is good news in more than one way because he did not have a test. So he is in the clear, but also, whoever it was who should have been isolating, has not been wandering about oblivious and spreading the virus.
Proves the system does not work though.
We took the cat in for repair and MOT today and the new headlight has been delivered. Garageman, very obliging will pick it up in the morning. Am planning to see my parents again on Thursday or Friday, and then we are going to stay with son1. This us allowed because he is a single person in need of support.
The elderly aunt decided visitors were too dangerous. Sad, But a relief that we don't need to go to Wales and then to Norwich.
@MrsA2 We are in the Midlands, a bit south of Birmingham. Online scrabble, good idea. Have not played for years, but could be fun.
@Goonergal was inspired by your sunrise pics to try and capture today's, glimpsed through a window, but by the time I had got outside with shoes on, and walked to a suitable position, where I could see over the hedge, it was gone, obliterated by fog.
@shelley262 MrSlim was are ill enough to have two days in bed by that combination of jabs. Hope you feel better soon.
Tonight have been caught by that strange type of insomnia, whereby I do go to sleep, very briefly, and then cannot drop off again. Who are Ferdinand and Crystal? Where were we taking them? They were in the back of the car. I was dreaming, of course, but my dream characters dont usually have names.
It's now just gone 2am, going to see if I can sleep now.

So sorry to hear of the worry your nephew and his wife must have been going through. At least there will be answers shortly (and hopefully answers you all want to hear). The waiting is worse, in some ways, than the treatment - as I realised a couple of weeks ago. Luckily my tests proved negative - usually my results are "malignant but removable". Usually, I just don't think about it until the last moment, but I found myself getting a bit uptight this last time - maybe getting too old to stay calm.

Scenic's new windscreen is in and it's home now - a bit of juggling with times because the one garage that does insurance windscreen replacements is about 4 miles out on the other side of Stornoway (11 miles by road from here) and Neil has been told to avoid public transport since shielding is more difficult. So he had to get his brother to take him back from the garage (he currently can't walk the 4 miles into town and there was no bus. His ability to walk has deteriorated during these months of virus and lockdown.) No 2 son had time to bring him all the way home and then get back to work before his signing on time. Then they both went back after the working day to pick up the car and bring it home. It's still not legal until it has its MOT but I will have to use it today - just to get to the pharmacy about a quarter of a mile away.

Hope your insomnia sorts itself out - it's miserable trying to sleep. When it happens to me, I find myself awake at 2 am, 3 am, 4 am but asleep by about 4.30, only to wake up again at 6.30 ish and getting up in despair. Then I fall asleep in the big, comfortable kitchen chair until about 9 am. Not good if it's a day when I have to do something fairly early on.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Since this is dog central here are Bill and Ben in what Estate agents laughingly called the lounge. The dogs are 11 months old brothers. The "neatly arranged" toys are my 17 month old currently youngest granddaughter's. Ben is laying on baby. Both have recently been "seen to" and Bill had a cancerous growth usually found on old female dogs removed. After 9 months a semblance of order is coming. Basically, we have lived in this room whilst walls have been knocked down and all toilets and bathrooms replaced. We still have a major move around of furniture - this room will be the dining room. I would guess about 80% of our goods are still piled up - floor to ceiling - in what was the garage but will be my gym. At a push we can make 3 of the 4 bedrooms usable now. The other one has my weight machine until the boys can come and shift things so I can occupy the garage. The kitchen is now functional having knocked through to the old dining room to make a kitchen lounge. That way we have windows both ends for light and ventilation in COVID world.

View attachment 45319

Lovely dogs.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@shelley262 I know exactly what you have on your adult-son plate. We've had times of non-safety with ours, and for him it will be a lifelong fight. He had EXCELLENT therapy for about 15 years but his work schedule and the therapist being less available (poor guy deserves his retirement!!!!) it's not happening now. I don't supposed your mum would voluntarily move near you....? Nahhh didn't think so. That's tough to do long distance.
@Annb please stay under the radar, literally!! We have occasionally made it a month or two past a car's due date without getting caught! Em! So glad to hear updates. I like the kid and I've never met her! She sounds like the kind of sister I would have liked for my boys-- loads of imagination, but way more organized with the follow-through.
@Mrs T 123 it went up to nearly 80 that day. We are having an extended warm sunny spell which will end tonight with the remains of a storm and then a cold front. Fall is Virginia's best season, I think!
@MrsA2 I play scrabble but only live, sorry! Half the fun's the tiles clicking and people watching!
Just got an Amazon shipment of baby toys for the grandson who just today mastered the exact same type of "crawling" his father did. Oh boy!

I have gone months past the MOT date before this because I never wrote down the due date and only realised when tax was due - last time with my old Kangoo it was 6 months overdue. But I have written it down for the Scenic (a list of due dates on the fridge so I can't forget) and now I feel guilty driving illegally.

If I say so myself, Em is a delight. Getting to the tomboyish stage, as I did at about 8, but still charming with it. She takes after her extrovert mother and everyone adores her - even her retiring, reticent uncle Neil. And her dad lets her wind him around her little finger. Even her elder brothers clearly adore her. The only one who seems to be unaffected is her elder sister - mother of 3 now and not easily entranced. Not that she doesn't love Em, of course, just she doesn't let herself get taken in by any nonsense and tries to instill some dignity. Some hope!