"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 am for a check?

Yes bonkers isn’t it? I think perhaps they thought nobody would notice it then, and as it would have disappeared by the morning they’d be none the wiser.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey I got here at last. Enjoying all the dog pics and what a great cat pic @Antje77.
After a sick day yesterday I managed two hours of clearing in the garden this morning putting the beds to sleep for the winter. I have finally waved the white flag to the caterpillars in my broccoli bed. They are laying eggs at an alarming rate so they can have it. I have a zoom with old friends this aft.
@SlimLizzy sorry to hear about your nephew and hope the news when it comes is good. Such a worry meanwhile for his wife and all the family. How is Cat? Presumably not go e for a service and MOT lol.
@shelley262 sounds like you have been having a tough time good to see you again.
I am going to try and post a pic of my new grandpuppy Tonka (would have preferred a grandchild)

20DE7FED-42E1-468B-86A0-B9BA95676BFD.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
grandpuppy Tonka (would have preferred a grandchild)
Grandpuppy? Please don't say you use fur baby:arghh::arghh::arghh: I'd lend you a gal but their dad's seem to like 'em. No accounting for taste. I blame their mum:angelic: Glad you feel up to some gardening and caterpillars are very hungry - I read about that somewhere.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all and big thank you to @zauberflote for setting this up for us to have a chat when we have time. I love the idea but am often time poor but I’m going to try and contribute.
Funny day today as decided to put on a new sensor - I haven’t had one since early summer as until lockdown the pool was open for 45 mins swimming sessions and probably a bit long for the sensor so decided to put one on during enforced pool closure. I was keen to get it on my arm in a less likely to be knocked position and thought hadfound a good place but was clearly right above a vein I produced so much blood that I could have filled one of those tubes for private blood testing! It was everywhere! It’s also not stuck as well as I’d like because of the blood under the sensor. It’s stayed on though so will see.
I’ve missed you guys while I’ve been away from forum.i have read entries when I could as great to feel in touch. My life as a carer has just been too complex and time consuming mainly because of my autistic adult son who is not very safe just now and needs lots of input to make sure that he stays safe. It’s been a very worrying time not helped by needing to do lots of care visits to mum.lockdown though means mums 2nd operation is delayed so I’m at home again until the call comes re the date.shes well though and first eye operation a great success would all be easier if she didn’t live 128 miles away from us.
Thinking of you all and looking forward to reading your news welcome back to England @SlimLizzy btw.
Welcome back @shelley262. These are indeed trying times. I can empathise with the caring and I am thankful I don't have to deal with it during the covid crisis.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good idea I’ve got some sticky stuff left that I used to use but in summer when short sleeves on think it looks odd , but as wearing long sleeves just now it would be practical. Swimming not likely to be happening though while I’m wearing this sensor thanks to BJ closing our pools down for a month so will put patch on to keep it secure. Thank you for reminder.
Our poor gym never even got as far as opening again. Boys have been lucky enough to get back to swimming lessons (on Sundays) as their pool is in a school but nothing much is open here. I read today that the SNP are probably having a tombola to decide who'll be locked down next. It certainly isn't any scientific reason.

I see @Annb the islands got a slight relaxation but still not fully what it should be. I meant to ask you too, is your granddaughter and new great granddaughter back and settled from Aberdeen and, have you been able to see the baby?

Reactions: zauberflote

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No spoilers from me. I don’t think this batch of bakers are as accomplished as in previous years - did you see the complete hash they all made of brownies? My 7 yo granddaughter can make brownies! I’m quite happy that they are a bit more amateurish this time though, makes it seem more attainable somehow.
Totally agree. I was astonished at the consideration for Star Baker yesterday. I'd never heard of Sussex Pond Pudding before.

Reactions: Chook and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Our poor gym never even got as far as opening again. Boys have been lucky enough to get back to swimming lessons (on Sundays) as their pool is in a school but nothing much is open here. I read today that the SNP are probably having a tombola to decide who'll be locked down next. It certainly isn't any scientific reason.

I see @Annb the islands got a slight relaxation but still not fully what it should be. I meant to ask you too, is your granddaughter and new great granddaughter back and settled from Aberdeen and, have you been able to see the baby?

Yes, after a lot of hassle (ferry was cancelled due to some unexplained circumstance) so on Day 3 of the journey home (2 overnight stops) DIL managed to get the last booking on the ferry from Uig (Skye) and they had to make a mad dash to get to Uig in time. Finally arrived in Stornoway about 1.30 am on the Thursday morning. DIL got home about 2.30 am. Luckily No 2 son had done all the laundry work for the next day and took it for delivery before he went to work. So she got a bit of a rest.

On Thursday the new mum realised that something was not right with baby Rue so took her to A&E. She had jaundice and was taken in overnight, but able to go home again on Friday.

DIL brought her to see me a day or so ago (lost track of days). She's even smaller than Em was. Too small for the smallest size of baby clothes. My boys were big bruisers and such tiny creatures are fascinating. Em wants one of her own now. She's been told she'll have to wait! Maybe Mum and Dad could oblige? No way!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally agree. I was astonished at the consideration for Star Baker yesterday. I'd never heard of Sussex Pond Pudding before.

I never watch Bake Off. I did watch some of the earlier years, but got fed up with it. Sussex pond pudding should be a whole, sugary lemon inside a sweet pudding so that it pours out when it is cut. I've never made it because I think it might be too sweet for me, although I do like lemon. Is that the way they made it on the programme?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@DJC3 similar situation to your niece. He got notification to isolate while he was at work and had to go straight home.
He did not have a test at any time.
The disruption and distress he felt and still feels has had a massive impact on him. He is understandably angry about the whole situation.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I’ve seen it in recipe books but moved swiftly past it!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 similar situation to your niece. He got notification to isolate while he was at work and had to go straight home.
He did not have a test at any time.
The disruption and distress he felt and still feels has had a massive impact on him. He is understandably angry about the whole situation.

I think people are already feeling mentally very fragile at the moment so these blips are just exacerbating the anxiety.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have eaten, and enjoyed a Sussex Pond Puddiing in the past many years ago, decades before big D.
I also made one once. On the show they were on a hiding to nothing as 2 and a half hours was not long enough to cook it properly so the lemon softened.
But I was amazed none of them knew how to use suet pastry and yes I was equally shocked at their poor brownies the other week.

I love Dennis and Bill and Ben and Tonka....I want them all !

Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Re GBBO, looks like Dessert Week is available online now, so I will abstain from this thread until I've watched to prevent spoilers :hilarious:
So happy just watching carbs doesn't make me go high!

Reactions: DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I think people are already feeling mentally very fragile at the moment so these blips are just exacerbating the anxiety.
He is in a vulnerable state anyway, having had a recent relationship breakdown, which has led to a relocation. Now he is in a town where he knows nobody, tasked with improving staff performance and productivity. Which ofc means most of them are resenting the new procedures he has brought in.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Re GBBO, looks like Dessert Week is available online now, so I will abstain from this thread until I've watched to prevent spoilers :hilarious:
So happy just watching carbs doesn't make me go high!

Until a few years ago, I used to have really severe migraines (related to problems with blood sugar, I'm pretty sure). I did realise that, if I ate sugary things, the migraines were exacerbated. So, that was when I stopped eating sweet foods. I loved Mars bars (childhood memories) but steadfastly denied myself them. Then the night came when I dreamed of eating a Mars bar - and woke up with a dreadful migraine! I always thought, "it's so unfair, I didn't even have to do it - just dream it, and I still got the migraine!" Probably a question of chicken and egg - was the migraine in the offing and I had the dream to explain it, or did I react to the dream?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Until a few years ago, I used to have really severe migraines (related to problems with blood sugar, I'm pretty sure). I did realise that, if I ate sugary things, the migraines were exacerbated. So, that was when I stopped eating sweet foods. I loved Mars bars (childhood memories) but steadfastly denied myself them. Then the night came when I dreamed of eating a Mars bar - and woke up with a dreadful migraine! I always thought, "it's so unfair, I didn't even have to do it - just dream it, and I still got the migraine!" Probably a question of chicken and egg - was the migraine in the offing and I had the dream to explain it, or did I react to the dream?
Yes, completely unfair, no matter if it was chicken or egg!
Last season I noticed my bg was lower than expected every time I watched GBBO. Could have been coincidence, but secretly I suspected it was my pancreas producing some insulin in anticipation. Not a clue if it's even possible this happens, but the thought makes me smile :happy:. And it's not that far-fetched. After all, imagine biting a lemon and you'll produce extra saliva...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A beam of light streamed in through the grimy window of LC winter food yesterday. Goose does give wonderful crisp skin and a big jar of goose fat for roast veggies. I came across a bottle of 2010 St Emiilion I had no idea we had and thoroughly enjoyed that pairing. The whole was made better by pan juices/fat and normies gravy powder. It seems set piece/event meals work for me. I am obviously far more traditional than I knew. Even better has been starting Advent for the girls (1 and 2 respectively). Calendars started, Arthur Christmas currently showing. I have no idea just now what my bg is and obviously I don't want it spiralling out of control .I have huge sympathy for all of you here struggling but yesterday and today are about as good as I think this can be for me in autumn/winter so it is only right to acknowledge the fact.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a lot of eating in the rolls - that's what I like about them. I order rolls and bread at the same time as the delivery is not cheap either. I have to say sometimes I don't like frozen food very much but these taste just as nice once they have been frozen and de-frosted as they do fresh.
I have ordered some but they seem to only weigh 65 gms each and my 2 slices of skinny bread work out at 75 gms with the slicer set to the widest. I sense bitter disappointment on the horizon which won't offset any hint of eggs or palm oil guilt. Still, I live in hope. I guess even being quite petite for a man, IMHO - 6 foot and 73/74 kgs - my idea of portion size is still very different to many here.
@DJC3 I agree about swede mashed with butter and pepper - how did that happen? Then I read white pepper which I can’t stand so normal service resumed. @shelley262 I agree roast swede is far better than roast celeriac - not hard but a clear winner. Celeriac and swede mashed is far better for me than celeriac alone, even with some butter to placate Julie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrs T 123