Tandem T-slim, Medtronic 670 and CGM's

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, hoping for some help please. My 640G is due for renewal in December: my options are the 670G or the Tandem T-Slim. Although I would like to use CGM's with it, this would not be funded and monthly costs are a bit too much for me. I have read though that the Libre 3 is in the pipeline and would be compatible with the T-Slim. If this was the case, I'd hopefully (!!) get the Libre through the NHS (I do currently get the Libre1). Any thoughts on +/- for the pumps? Currently I'm leaning towards the Tandem.
Thank you.

Reactions: Tracyann35

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can I ask why you won’t be staying on the 640g as I have just been offered this as a replacement pump for the one I’m currently on?

Reactions: asa35

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tracyann35. To be honest, I've had the 640g for 4 years now an I must say I've been very happy with it; it's a good modern looking pump, that I've found easy to use (once all set up correctly). People say about lots.of button pressing to get to different menus etc, but I didn't really find this an issue. These pumps main features though are more suited to using with CGM's, but I never did and found it still good. I upload my results to computer and email them to my hospital for reviewing occasionally. I was offered the 670G which is the newer version. I'm considering the T-Slim because I think it looks better, is smaller, and potentially could be compatible with the Libre 3 next year, which would work as a CGM. I currently use the Libre 1, and will use these BG results to manually enter into the 640 to give meal bolus settings or corrections. I know this is frowned upon because of the differences between finger pricks and scan results, but I often struggle with my fingers and getting blood from them! Obviously pumps are personal, but I genuinely don't think you'd be disappointed with the 640, it is good. For me, I just think the T-Slim may be better suited now. Everybody will advise different reasons, so go with your gut feeling. Good luck. Let me know if you want any more details though, I'll help if I can. We've all been in this situation , getting overwhelmed with information!

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Asa35

I have recently started on the Medtronic 670g, my first pump. I find it easy to use and it has made a big difference to, for example, my time in target and night times lows. The only issue I have is challenges when doing set changes. This is due to arthritis in my hands. I am currently looking for solutions to this at the moment as I do not want to go back to pens.

Good luck with your decision making

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love my Tandem t:slim.
Combined with a Dexcom G6 the Control IQ is a true hybrid closed loop system & after some hard work setting it up, I find it has reduced my diabetes work load immensely, especially overnight.
As you say it should eventually work with a Libre (3?)
To my mind, if you can afford a Dexcom, or get funding, this is the best pump on the market - for now at least.

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Asa35

I have recently started on the Medtronic 670g, my first pump. I find it easy to use and it has made a big difference to, for example, my time in target and night times lows. The only issue I have is challenges when doing set changes. This is due to arthritis in my hands. I am currently looking for solutions to this at the moment as I do not want to go back to pens.

Good luck with your decision making
Thanks @h884. Do you use the 670 wit or without CGM?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello a pump without a CGM would be like an ordinary pump without the function of suspending insulin when going low etc. With a CGM you would experience all the functions of the pump. I have the Medtronic 670G with CGM, although it’s bulky and ugly looking, I’d say my management is a lot better. Because auto mode learns about my needs each day.

It might be a while for the NHS to get the libre 3, we don’t even have libre 2 yet.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Asa35

Unfortunately I do not have the cgm. I wanted to get used the pump before looking into this. I obviously need to overcome the challenges I am having with set changes.

I will be interested to hear what you decide. Good luck

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @DunePlodder for the feedback. What do you think the pump would be like if not using a CGM?
In most respects it's like any other pump. It is smaller than most & has a a clear colour touch screen. Hopefully the NHS will eventually fund a compatible CGM whether that is Dexcom or Libre. The Tandem has had 2 firmware updates already & it can be updated in the future.

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Asa35

Unfortunately I do not have the cgm. I wanted to get used the pump before looking into this. I obviously need to overcome the challenges I am having with set changes.

I will be interested to hear what you decide. Good luck
Thanks, I will let you know

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In most respects it's like any other pump. It is smaller than most & has a a clear colour touch screen. Hopefully the NHS will eventually fund a compatible CGM whether that is Dexcom or Libre. The Tandem has had 2 firmware updates already & it can be updated in the future.
Thanks for this. I'm still yet to make my decision, but am still possibly thinking T-Slim. I do notice the tube connection is not connected directly to the pump, but is a loose connection on the tube- do you find this an issue?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't, but then I've never used any other type of pump. Some people say it looks "medical", which I understand but it doesn't bother me.
It's not really a "loose connection". You tighten it up firmly & I've never had a problem with one coming undone.

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't, but then I've never used any other type of pump. Some people say it looks "medical", which I understand but it doesn't bother me.
It's not really a "loose connection". You tighten it up firmly & I've never had a problem with one coming undone.
Thanks. I wondered if it easily got caught up in anything, or would you keep the pump in waist pouch and tuck this in to that? Sorry if these sound daft questions, I'm just trying to visualise it. I currently keep my 640G in a Hid-In waist pouch which covers the connection on the pump, with just the tube feeding out of the pouch.

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello a pump without a CGM would be like an ordinary pump without the function of suspending insulin when going low etc. With a CGM you would experience all the functions of the pump. I have the Medtronic 670G with CGM, although it’s bulky and ugly looking, I’d say my management is a lot better. Because auto mode learns about my needs each day.

It might be a while for the NHS to get the libre 3, we don’t even have libre 2 yet.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the NHS delay is the one big drawback. I understand it has to follow a lot of approval actions etc, but doesn't help those who it would really benefit. Fingers crossed anyway, I may take the plunge with T-Slim and hold out for the Libre3.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I wondered if it easily got caught up in anything, or would you keep the pump in waist pouch and tuck this in to that? Sorry if these sound daft questions, I'm just trying to visualise it. I currently keep my 640G in a Hid-In waist pouch which covers the connection on the pump, with just the tube feeding out of the pouch.
Not a daft question. Like any tubed pump it can get caught on things. At this time of year I keep it in my shirt pocket, wearing a top over it. Otherwise I clip it to my belt - though the clip isn't great. At night I use a Hid-In belt/pouch.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not a daft question. Like any tubed pump it can get caught on things. At this time of year I keep it in my shirt pocket, wearing a top over it. Otherwise I clip it to my belt - though the clip isn't great. At night I use a Hid-In belt/pouch.

I've been pumping for over 8 years and twice I've caught the tube and pulled out the cannula, at night on door handles. That's 2 in around 1200 so not many at all, also never pulled one in my sleep (my pump is loose in bed). I spent maybe 8+ years deciding if I wanted something connected to me by tube before I took the plunge, I wasted those 8 years and should have taken the offer on day 1 ;-)

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask why you won’t be staying on the 640g as I have just been offered this as a replacement pump for the one I’m currently on?
Hi Tracyann35 did you make a decision on your pump? I know you were thinking of the 640G, did you have any other choices? What pump are you currently on?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi all, hoping for some help please. My 640G is due for renewal in December: my options are the 670G or the Tandem T-Slim. Although I would like to use CGM's with it, this would not be funded and monthly costs are a bit too much for me. I have read though that the Libre 3 is in the pipeline and would be compatible with the T-Slim. If this was the case, I'd hopefully (!!) get the Libre through the NHS (I do currently get the Libre1). Any thoughts on +/- for the pumps? Currently I'm leaning towards the Tandem.
Thank you.
You cant trust that current pumps with dexcom software will be upgraded to libre 3. You cant trust when libre 3 will be available libre2 is only just starting here in the UK several years after launch in other countries

Having said that tandem would be stupid not to integrate it would be a good selling feature.. however libre 1 has been far from accurate for me with lots of failure

Also consider the dexcom g7 is just around the corner should be cheaper and smaller than g6 maybe be cheap enough for nhs use..

I think what you have to do is choose a pump that fits your needs now.. not what *might* work in 2 years

The tandem is a good pump will work like a regular pump without cgm you just enter your bg manually

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You cant trust that current pumps with dexcom software will be upgraded to libre 3. You cant trust when libre 3 will be available libre2 is only just starting here in the UK several years after launch in other countries

Having said that tandem would be stupid not to integrate it would be a good selling feature.. however libre 1 has been far from accurate for me with lots of failure

Also consider the dexcom g7 is just around the corner should be cheaper and smaller than g6 maybe be cheap enough for nhs use..

I think what you have to do is choose a pump that fits your needs now.. not what *might* work in 2 years

The tandem is a good pump will work like a regular pump without cgm you just enter your bg manually
Valid points searley. I did think I was being a bit too hopeful with the Libre 3 . I will compare the CGM costs between Tandems option and Medtronics. Although I was more in favour of the t:slim, after reading a few more reviews, I now have a few reservations! Decisions to make! Thanks.

Reactions: JudyLee