8 weeks in and feeling lost.

Leeg10

Morning everyone,

I got diagnosed with Type 2 just over 2 months ago now.

My Hba1c was 120 and my fasting bloods were 17.2 - so I was put on metaformin straight away.

I started Strict Keto straight away and jumped into exercise and this was fine for the first 6 weeks. My carb intake was down to 20g per day and I lost 28lbs.

3 weeks ago, I got Covid and unlucky for me, didn’t lose my appetite, and have went back to bad habits whilst feeling like **** and just eating for ease.

Now that I’m mostly feeling better, I need to start again but I don’t think I can face Keto again. The dietician recommended up to 50g carbs 3x per day with each meal. Does it matter what carbs I eat within this limit? I’m actually finding the idea of eating normal more daunting than the strictness of Keto now.

I’ve woken up with a killer headache, and my bloods are 7.5 after another night of take out and forgetting to take my metaformin again.

Need to sort myself out but struggling to just pick a starting point. ☹️

Have my first eye screening check on Monday too, a bit nervous for that! It’s just a lot. Feeling a bit overwhelmed today.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Lee

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lee, it sounds like you have had a really rough couple of months. Be kind to yourself & try not to put too much pressure on big changes.

Start small & build up from there. You could start with taking your meds everyday, set alarms to remind you. Then maybe aim for a low carb breakfast. Keep achieving small gains until your back where you want to be.

You’ve done it before, you can do it again. I hope everything goes ok on Monday.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I ask, what is it about Keto that you struggle with? We might be able to help you with resolving those issues to make low carb more viable for you.

Leeg10

Can I ask, what is it about Keto that you struggle with? We might be able to help you with resolving those issues to make low carb more viable for you.

hi,

I was finding it okay but it’s very restrictive and I just feel so sick of all the foods. I can’t even look at eggs, cheese or bacon for the foreseeable future . Perhaps if I try Keto but going up to 50g of carbs, like the user above suggested, I’ll be able to feel like I have more options.

Thanks x

Leeg10

What sort of stuff do you like?

I don’t like fish, I eat chicken, steak and mince. I like vegetables and fruit and happy to have fat free yog and seriously low carb bread as breakfast replacements. Salads for lunch are fine too so it’s mostly dinners and snacks I’m stuck with. Xx

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t like fish, I eat chicken, steak and mince. I like vegetables and fruit and happy to have fat free yog and seriously low carb bread as breakfast replacements. Salads for lunch are fine too so it’s mostly dinners and snacks I’m stuck with. Xx

How about some nuts as a snack. Almonds, hazelnuts, macadamias, walnuts, pecans and brazil nuts are all low carb. Another idea would be coffee with cream and maybe some diabetic-friendly sweetener like erythritol if needed. High cocoa content chocolate?

Reactions: SaskiaKC

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you fancy shepherd's pie or cottage pie, make as usual with a topping of either mashed cauliflower or celeriac.

Go for full fat greek yoghurt rather than fat free.

There are thousands of recipes for cakes, biscuits, and snacks. Whatever you fancy just google it and put keto first.

If you like the odd pizza lookup fat head dough.

I get sliced cheese like gouda. Slice the slice into 3. Top with herb of your choice. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool. Hey presto, cheese crisps.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welome,

I'm sorry that you have had such a rough time of it.

I suspect that for many 50 grams of carbs every meal is too many but your body may be able to do it- use your meter to find out.

I also struggle with keto from time to time- I make no pretence about it. I have been given some great suggestions on here.

My suggestion is to find some alternatives that are easy and that you can go back to. Are you a 'sweet' tooth or do you prefer more savoury foods?

My go to include diet jelly (sweet tooth here), keto custard, pork belly- including the crackling, roast meat generally. I also have cauliflower rice and cauliflower mash. With the mash I include a little spring onion or chives and some cheese. I have either black tea- which is how I've always drunk it or coffee with cream. We have also done chicken niblettes when we have a pot luck dinner.

Let us know what things you prefer and see what we can come up with. People here are amazing and most importantly we have been there.

Good luck and welcome.

Sugarlisa

Shepherds pie with a carrot and turnip top ,curry,

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning everyone,

I got diagnosed with Type 2 just over 2 months ago now.

My Hba1c was 120 and my fasting bloods were 17.2 - so I was put on metaformin straight away.

I started Strict Keto straight away and jumped into exercise and this was fine for the first 6 weeks. My carb intake was down to 20g per day and I lost 28lbs.

3 weeks ago, I got Covid and unlucky for me, didn’t lose my appetite, and have went back to bad habits whilst feeling like **** and just eating for ease.

Now that I’m mostly feeling better, I need to start again but I don’t think I can face Keto again. The dietician recommended up to 50g carbs 3x per day with each meal. Does it matter what carbs I eat within this limit? I’m actually finding the idea of eating normal more daunting than the strictness of Keto now.

I’ve woken up with a killer headache, and my bloods are 7.5 after another night of take out and forgetting to take my metaformin again.

Need to sort myself out but struggling to just pick a starting point. ☹️

Have my first eye screening check on Monday too, a bit nervous for that! It’s just a lot. Feeling a bit overwhelmed today.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Lee

It can feel overwhelming. But we are here to help ride out the waves.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found the frozen stir fry at Lidl quite good - I've needed easy options recently, there are three different styles. I just pour some into a wok and give it a few stirs. I get the packs of steaks or chops and divide them up into meal size lots - the larger packs are better value, the sausages and chicken thighs are good too - and they have low carb veges fresh too - but I expect most supermarkets would have similar products.