ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
How are the side effects now? Do you get to find out, at some point in the trial, if you had the vaccine or placebo ?
In one year's time. :) I didn't have any more symptoms after 40 hours. I will try the antibody test again after 21 days. Fingers crossed.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
They're not recording symptoms, just testing to see if the vaccine gives you immunity.

I would have thought recording symptoms was equally important. If the vaccine is shown to be effective, what use is it if people are terribly ill just having the vaccine?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I would have thought recording symptoms was equally important. If the vaccine is shown to be effective, what use is it if people are terribly ill just having the vaccine?
They said they did that in Phase 1 and Phase 2 trials. Now they just want to know if it works.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
They said they did that in Phase 1 and Phase 2 trials. Now they just want to know if it works.
Does that mean that those who have been given the actual vaccine will then be given a dose of Covid?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Does that mean that those who have been given the actual vaccine will then be given a dose of Covid?
They are testing it in Britain has it has high community transmission, which means a lot of participants may be exposed to Covid during the trial.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Day 19 and still no antibodies. I received the second injection today. It stung like a bee. I have a headache and aches and pains, but must be imagining it if I'm still antibody negative?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the updates @ert. Do you ever get to find out if you had the placebo or not? x

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Thanks for the updates @ert. Do you ever get to find out if you had the placebo or not? x
At the end of the trial, which ends after they get 100 positive Covid-19 cases. Either way, I'm not planning on being one of them.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Has anyone clocked this article: A possible alternative to a vaccine, for people without functioning immune systems, is entering its final stage of trials.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55022288
Could it be possible that I am on the trial but my immune system can't produce antibodies as a type 1 diabetic?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone clocked this article: A possible alternative to a vaccine, for people without functioning immune systems, is entering its final stage of trials.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55022288
Could it be possible that I am on the trial but my immune system can't produce antibodies as a type 1 diabetic?

Bearing in mind your AI condition is caused by your own body's immune system going wonk and attacking itself, and usually creating antibodies, I'd have thought it at least as likely you'd create plenty antibodies.

Of course, that's my knee-jerk reaction, but nevertheless my thought.

Reactions: oldgreymare

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Another negative antibody test. I've just discovered this article stating that there are no current tests for antibodies produced by the Covid vaccine, which are different antibodies from the Covid illness. I'm sure I've had the vaccine, but 5 weeks on no antibodies. What a waste of money on antibody tests if this is the case. Any thoughts?

Right now, VISP shouldn’t be a problem because the antibody tests that are widely used do not detect the type of antibody produced by the current vaccines being developed. Instead, they pick up on a different antibody produced by a natural infection with SARS-CoV-2. However, this could change in the future as new antibody tests are developed.

https://www.coronaviruspreventionnetwork.org/coronavirus-vaccine-and-antibody-science/

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Another negative antibody test. I've just discovered this article stating that there are no current tests for antibodies produced by the Covid vaccine, which are different antibodies from the Covid illness. I'm sure I've had the vaccine, but 5 weeks on no antibodies. What a waste of money on antibody tests if this is the case. Any thoughts?

Right now, VISP shouldn’t be a problem because the antibody tests that are widely used do not detect the type of antibody produced by the current vaccines being developed. Instead, they pick up on a different antibody produced by a natural infection with SARS-CoV-2. However, this could change in the future as new antibody tests are developed.

https://www.coronaviruspreventionnetwork.org/coronavirus-vaccine-and-antibody-science/

Maybe you didn't have the vaccine. Maybe your side effects were some reaction to what was in the placebo, or all in your mind. ;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it the type of trial where half get the vaccine and half get a placebo to see how many in each group catch the virus? If so then presumably the antibody test is to see if you have had the actual virus rather than antibodies from the vaccine.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I've been offered the Oxford vaccine on Monday the 25th January. I guess that means it is the end of the road for the Novavax trial. I will find out on Monday if I had the placebo or the vaccine through Novavax.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetit1802

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I've been unblinded so it's official - I have received both doses of the Novavax Covid vaccine. They want me to not have the Oxford vaccine tomorrow and stay on the trial.

I have been advised that the effectiveness data will be released very soon and they expect the result to pass based on the current data in. Also, they don't know how the Oxford will mix-and-match with Novavax until they finish a study on this, currently work-in-progress.

I need to talk to my GP tomorrow, but it looks like I will have to pass on my Oxford vaccine offer.

Reactions: lucylocket61

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
The GP gave my Oxford Vaccine appointment to someone else today. I hope staying on the Novavax trial isn't just living on a wing and a prayer. Their immune response data was strong, but does it protect from Covid? Novavax will give me an emergency vaccine if their effectiveness rates aren't up to standard. The first lot of data should be published this month.