I am due to start insulin tonight

Rubette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
and am confused. I saw the nurse this morning and she told me what to do, how to use the pen, but when I read the info from the manufacturers o the pen, it was different. She didn't mention anything about setting it to 2 and tapping to rid the pen of any air and making sure I got the full dose. Any advice please. It's an INSUMAN BASAL SoloStar if that helps.

Reactions: gillytee31

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's what's called an 'air shot' to remove the any air stored in the needle. I normally just a setting to1 which I find enough. After the air-shot you set the amount of insulin you need. I've read that it's best to keep the pen vertical when doing the air-shot to help any air get out.

Reactions: quizzical

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
The first shot is also to check your insulin pen is working.

Rubette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. It's what's called an 'air shot' to remove the any air stored in the needle. I normally just a setting to1 which I find enough. After the air-shot you set the amount of insulin you need. I've read that it's best to keep the pen vertical when doing the air-shot to help any air get out.
Thank you... can I ask how often you test your bloods.

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
Thank you... can I ask how often you test your bloods.

I test and inject 4 times a day, before breakfast, lunch and dinner, and then again before bed when I inject a long lasting insulin.

As for your initial question I’ve more or less stopped the 2 unit squirt... but you should always do it when you start a new pen (maybe even 2 or 3 times) to make sure the needle is primed properly. The other reason to do it would be to check that the needle is working, in 5 years of injecting I’ve had several needles that don’t work, so yes maybe the 2 unit shot is worth while, maybe I’m just getting lazy.

Rubette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I test and inject 4 times a day, before breakfast, lunch and dinner, and then again before bed when I inject a long lasting insulin.

As for your initial question I’ve more or less stopped the 2 unit squirt... but you should always do it when you start a new pen (maybe even 2 or 3 times) to make sure the needle is primed properly. The other reason to do it would be to check that the needle is working, in 5 years of injecting I’ve had several needles that don’t work, so yes maybe the 2 unit shot is worth while, maybe I’m just getting lazy.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Can’t see anyone else bothering, where’s the support in that?

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Can’t see anyone else bothering, where’s the support in that?

How are you getting on? I guess it’s about 10 days now?