Low Carb Christmas Recipes

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plum Pudding

1. 2 red plums, de-stoned, (count them out and not back in)
  2. A very small glass of water.
  3. A splash from a miniature cherry brandy (optional, and not for child guests.)
  4. Toasted faked (flaked, even!) almonds, 1 tablespoon, (I admit to being an almond fiend - you could leave out or substitute pecans)
  5. 2 tablespoons double cream, whipped or not, or some clotted cream.

• Simmer the plums in the water in a small lidded saucepan until tender throughout. Watch they don't boil dry!
  • Cool them, and remove about half of the water. Place in an individual dish.
  • Add the brandy and the toasted almonds.
  • Serve with the cream
If you were making this for everyone, just multiply the ingredients according to number of people, and you could add a teaspoon of brown sugar per person when adding the small splash of brandy, but don't add it to your lower-carb one. I know I'm nuts about almonds, :rolleyes:, but I'd be tempted to add ground almonds as a topping as well.

Thank you this looks good

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It has not set firm like jelly. It is now like a chunky jam which I think is a good thing. It is still quite tart. I googled freezing jelly the other day and the netmums seemed to think it was a bad idea.

Cranberry Sauce

I did eventually get a mo to make cranberry sauce. You said it was still quite tart, so I made a change to my recipe for it. I'm happy with it, and it is now separated into 2 boxes in the freezer: I will report back later on how freezing affects it!

300g fresh cranberries
225g fresh raspberries
1 sachet Hartley's raspberry sugar-free jelly
50ml boiling water
25ml cold water

• Put the cranberries and raspberries into a saucepan with the cold water. Heat and simmer gently until the fruit is quite soft and most of the cranberries popped. (It took about 8 mins.)
  • Meanwhile, mix the jelly powder with the boiling water, stir until dissolved.
  • When the fruit is ready, stir in the jelly.
  • Allow to cool and then refrigerate.

These ingredients make 600g of cranberry sauce, 20 x 30g servings.

The result, like you say, @Avocado Sevenfold, is jammy not jellied, but the jelly gives the sauce the body/consistency that would normally be achieved by loads of added sugar, which low-carbers can't be doing with. Yay!:)

1 x 30g serving:

2g carbs
Neg fat
0.5g protein
9.7 kcal

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I made these Chocolate truffles from a recipe I found on the internet. I've tasted one after my lunch and it was very nice. As a coeliac I haven't eaten Christmas pudding or Mince pies in over 2 years, So a couple or three after Christmas dinner tomorrow :D

webcam-toy-photo36.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw this on Facebook today - from a carnivore page. Some good ideas for nibbles on a buffet.

A7335B0C-F772-4F59-9DE2-C9D9D585C542.jpeg

Reactions: MrsA2

Ceppo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

tinmonkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m a great fan of her recipes. Just had cauliflower, leek and cheese soup for lunch.
This new book is available on Kindle. If you have Kindle unlimited you can read it free. Some interesting new recipes in there..

I have both of their previous diabetes cook books and find the recipes really good. In fact I'm serving the carnitas recipe on Boxing Day to non-low carb guests.
Thanks for the Kindle Unlimited tip. I've just been offered 3 months for 99p, so well timed!

Ceppo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She has a new one out, I think in March 2021 theme is 30 minute meals. Can't wait.