Low Carb Christmas Recipes

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to try a modified Mary Berry recipe over the next couple of days: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/celebration_chocolate_26103

I'll eave out the sponge base, but use a high coca chocolate and sweeten the cream instead. If it works, I might try it making a sort of coulis from some raspberries too. It could be my Christmas dessert.

Reactions: 2 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to try a modified Mary Berry recipe over the next couple of days: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/celebration_chocolate_26103

I'll eave out the sponge base, but use a high coca chocolate and sweeten the cream instead. If it works, I might try it making a sort of coulis from some raspberries too. It could be my Christmas dessert.

that looks so good. Another one to add to my Christmas food list :) I may make an almond flour sponge

A

Avocado Sevenfold

They look yummy. I might be inclined to tweak the topping... I like very finely chopped red onion, red chilli, tomato, tsp mint sauce, lime juice and a bit of chopped coriander.
Live update: the haloumi and salsa is fab. Made it with tomato, chilli, red onion, lime juice and coriander leaves. Topped with a blob of @Debmcgee 's fab salad dressing/dip (Mayo, soured cream, onion powder and chives)

The kids have dominos pizza tonight. My dinner is tastier than their dinner ner ner ner ner ner :p

Reactions: 9 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I think I will cook the cranberries with a minimum of water until popped, then add the jelly crystals already dissolved in about a half or a third of normal quantity of water - just because I find I have to stir it quite hard to get rid of lumps, and I won't want to mistreat the cranberries in the same way. Then I'll mix the two and leave to set. I'll give it a good stir then and do a taste test, and will add whole or flaked almonds and vanilla if I think there's any point. I could add cinnamon but I agree, as said above, that it might taste too medicinal, like Beecham's Powders, so I might not run that particular risk.
I reckon lemon or orange jelly would be just as nice as lemon&lime.
Made it tonight and it is an improvement on my truvia attempt :dead: I quite like it and will make some for Christmas Day. it is still quite tart, which made me wonder how much sugar they must put in the regular version. I checked the Ocean Spray version online and the first ingredient is sugar. That means there is more sugar than fruit in those little jars :eek:

300g bag of fresh cranberries
1 cup water

When they had nearly all popped, I made a well in the middle and added 1 sachet of Robinsons sugar free veggie jelly. It dissolved right away. Then added half a teaspoon of vanilla extract and forgot all about the almonds :facepalm: Ate it while it was still runny, but it is firming up now. Cheers @lizdeluz :D

Last edited:

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Made it tonight and it is an improvement on my truvia attempt :dead: I quite like it and will make some for Christmas Day. it is still quite tart, which made me wonder how much sugar they must put in the regular version. I checked the Ocean Spray version online and the first ingredient is sugar. That means there is more sugar than fruit in those little jars :eek:

300g bag of fresh cranberries
1 cup water

When they had nearly all popped, I made a well in the middle and added 1 sachet of Robinsons sugar free veggie jelly. It dissolved right away. Then added half a teaspoon of vanilla extract and forgot all about the almonds :facepalm: Ate it while it was still runny, but it is firming up now. Cheers @lizdeluz :D

w9z2p4.jpg
In your opinion, did the recipe get to be the right texture? I didn't have time to experiment with it today after all, I got waylaid in making Christmas cakes (for everyone else, not for me). I will give it a go tomorrow afternoon. Also do you think it would freeze ok, as it would be good to get ahead of the game. I'm planning to make and freeze veggie gravy for Christmas day and I'd like to do cranberry sauce and freeze it in the same cooking session, collapse afterwards with a cup of tea.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

In your opinion, did the recipe get to be the right texture? I didn't have time to experiment with it today after all, I got waylaid in making Christmas cakes (for everyone else, not for me). I will give it a go tomorrow afternoon. Also do you think it would freeze ok, as it would be good to get ahead of the game. I'm planning to make and freeze veggie gravy for Christmas day and I'd like to do cranberry sauce and freeze it in the same cooking session, collapse afterwards with a cup of tea.
It has not set firm like jelly. It is now like a chunky jam which I think is a good thing. It is still quite tart. I googled freezing jelly the other day and the netmums seemed to think it was a bad idea.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It has not set firm like jelly. It is now like a chunky jam which I think is a good thing. It is still quite tart. I googled freezing jelly the other day and the netmums seemed to think it was a bad idea.

Thanks for the info. I'll make it at the last minute then, rather than putting it in the freezer. Mind you, maybe netmums were worried about jellification, and I wouldn't be, cos I wouldn't be wanting jellied cranberry sauce. :eek::D But I suppose it might go watery.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw this starter recipe on This Morning which I am going to make

Easy smoked salmon mousse with avocado and dill

Serves: 6-8 persons
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: none

Can be made the day before

Ingredients

1 x 250g any smoked salmon off cuts are perfect
4 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp Brandy
pepper
200g cream cheese
dash milk
250g - 300g long sliced smoked salmon
2 large avocado
4 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 tbsp olive oil
salt
pepper
juice 1 large lemon

Method

1. Place the 250g salmon, parsley, Brandy and pepper into a food processor

2. Blitz until fairly smooth, then scrape the sides of the bowl down well

3. Add the cream cheese and milk and blitz again

4. Taste and adjust if needed, you probably will need no salt. I use small bowls and line each one with cling film.

5. Using the long slices of smoked salmon, cut to fit into the clingfilm lined bowls

6. You can use one large bowl in you prefer, and cut wedges

7. Spoon the mousse into whichever serving bowl you are using and pack down nice and tightly

8. Cover the base with salmon and cover with the film

9. Chill well probably best overnight

10. When ready to serve, turn the bowls out or cut wedges

11. Chop the avocado into small cubes, add the dill, oil and salt and pepper. When ready to serve add the lemon juice.

Reactions: 5 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Plum Pudding

1. 2 red plums, de-stoned, (count them out and not back in)
  2. A very small glass of water.
  3. A splash from a miniature cherry brandy (optional, and not for child guests.)
  4. Toasted faked (flaked, even!) almonds, 1 tablespoon, (I admit to being an almond fiend - you could leave out or substitute pecans)
  5. 2 tablespoons double cream, whipped or not, or some clotted cream.

• Simmer the plums in the water in a small lidded saucepan until tender throughout. Watch they don't boil dry!
  • Cool them, and remove about half of the water. Place in an individual dish.
  • Add the brandy and the toasted almonds.
  • Serve with the cream
If you were making this for everyone, just multiply the ingredients according to number of people, and you could add a teaspoon of brown sugar per person when adding the small splash of brandy, but don't add it to your lower-carb one. I know I'm nuts about almonds, :rolleyes:, but I'd be tempted to add ground almonds as a topping as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw this starter recipe on This Morning which I am going to make

Easy smoked salmon mousse with avocado and dill

Serves: 6-8 persons
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: none

Can be made the day before

Ingredients

1 x 250g any smoked salmon off cuts are perfect
4 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp Brandy
pepper
200g cream cheese
dash milk
250g - 300g long sliced smoked salmon
2 large avocado
4 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 tbsp olive oil
salt
pepper
juice 1 large lemon

Method

1. Place the 250g salmon, parsley, Brandy and pepper into a food processor

2. Blitz until fairly smooth, then scrape the sides of the bowl down well

3. Add the cream cheese and milk and blitz again

4. Taste and adjust if needed, you probably will need no salt. I use small bowls and line each one with cling film.

5. Using the long slices of smoked salmon, cut to fit into the clingfilm lined bowls

6. You can use one large bowl in you prefer, and cut wedges

7. Spoon the mousse into whichever serving bowl you are using and pack down nice and tightly

8. Cover the base with salmon and cover with the film

9. Chill well probably best overnight

10. When ready to serve, turn the bowls out or cut wedges

11. Chop the avocado into small cubes, add the dill, oil and salt and pepper. When ready to serve add the lemon juice.

This sounds great, I'll be making this. Thank you!