Higher than normal readings during fasting: Liver Dump

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I have been following LCHF with carb intake restricted to roughly 30gms a day along with Intermittent Fasting and have had great success in getting my blood sugar readings within 4 to 7 but lately I am finding that on fasting days my blood sugar reading is higher than it was in initial days. In initial days it was around 4.7 to 5.8 during the course of the day but for past 2 to 4 fasting days it has been in range of 6 to 6.8 and then yesterday it was whole day in range of 7 to 7.5.

As i understood reading from Dr. Fung and few other posts on this forum this may be down to liver dump - liver burning the accumulated fat.

I will hugely appreciate if you have experience of this phenomena and could share it with me as a reassurance that this rise I am seeing is temporary and not an upward trend

I am also interested to learn if anyone knows how long before Liver empties itself of all the accumulated fat... must be all that coke from Uni days :(

Last edited:

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carbing since 19-Oct. Intermittent Fasting (ADF 4:3) Since 12-Nov

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks... yeah I am hoping that is what it is. I wonder how long before Liver has gotten rid of all that stored sugar...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks... yeah I am hoping that is what it is. I wonder how long before Liver has gotten rid of all that stored sugar...

Well if you fancied an extended fast.. it might empty a bit faster but its not the best time of year to try that!

Edit to add what does your 4:3 fasting look like?

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Sorry, I can't recall the details of where I saw this information, but your liver should stop dumping excess glucose due to gluconeogenisis once it has metabolised any excess fat stores - I think this can take 2-3+ months so give yourself some time...but obviously your liver can rebound to storing fat (=potential future glucose dump) if you exceed your personal carbohydrate tolerance load - trial & error to figure out. Hang in there!

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I can't recall the details of where I saw this information, but your liver should stop dumping excess glucose due to gluconeogenisis once it has metabolised any excess fat stores - I think this can take 2-3+ months so give yourself some time...but obviously your liver can rebound to storing fat (=potential future glucose dump) if you exceed your personal carbohydrate tolerance load - trial & error to figure out. Hang in there!

Thanks so much for responding.. I really needed to hear that this is not a trend towards sugar levels going bad once again...

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well if you fancied an extended fast.. it might empty a bit faster but its not the best time of year to try that!

Edit to add what does your 4:3 fasting look like?

Actually i have just done that... 48 hours and running will take it to 72 if i can pull it through... so far its looking good... just back from gym so sugar reading is at 6.5 but this can go down fairly quickly and i will need to keep an eye on it....

4:3 is I eat on Day 1 as normal 3 LCHF meals and then fast for 36 hours so nothing on Day 2 and then i eat as normal on Day 3... this results in 4 eating days and 3 fasting days per week hence 4:3.