Jackco

Hi, everyone, I'm on MDI with NR and Tresiba. I recently noticed that when I have a fairly high fat meal ( around 25-30 ish grams of fat) my BG will be unstable. I usually only count carbs when I bolus, but 2 hrs pot meal ( with high fat) my BG comes down to in the range that I expected. But I found that around 3-4 hr even later, my BG will slowly rise up, I think that is due to the high fat that slows down the absorption of the carbs. Are unsaturated fats like in peanut butter, avocado, nuts, olive oil...etc more easier to digest in order to prevent the delayed spike? I've heard that u can add 25% of insulin and split 50/50 pre meal and 90-120 mins post meal to cover that delayed spike. Can some one help me with this kind of issue, I have been struggling with it, also Im pretty new to T1D, so ya. I know every individuals are different, and metabolise food differently, I just want some reference so I can try on my body, trials and errors right?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't do particularly high fat meals but personally I'd try splitting the insulin first, I only practice this for Christmas and new year dinner but I do 2/3 up front and then the remaining between my main and dessert, adding extra runs the risk of a hypo as you don't know how you'd react, also if you are pretty new things are very unpredictable making it even more difficult at times xx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, everyone, I'm on MDI with NR and Tresiba. I recently noticed that when I have a fairly high fat meal ( around 25-30 ish grams of fat) my BG will be unstable. I usually only count carbs when I bolus, but 2 hrs pot meal ( with high fat) my BG comes down to in the range that I expected. But I found that around 3-4 hr even later, my BG will slowly rise up, I think that is due to the high fat that slows down the absorption of the carbs. Are unsaturated fats like in peanut butter, avocado, nuts, olive oil...etc more easier to digest in order to prevent the delayed spike? I've heard that u can add 25% of insulin and split 50/50 pre meal and 90-120 mins post meal to cover that delayed spike. Can some one help me with this kind of issue, I have been struggling with it, also Im pretty new to T1D, so ya. I know every individuals are different, and metabolise food differently, I just want some reference so I can try on my body, trials and errors right?

Hi Jacko,

How high is the delayed spike?

I agree with @kaylz91 on this.. Experiment with timing on splitting the corect dose for the carbs consumed.

You're not far wrong. We are individuals. Even different days on the same routine don't always stack up..

Jackco

I don't do particularly high fat meals but personally I'd try splitting the insulin first, I only practice this for Christmas and new year dinner but I do 2/3 up front and then the remaining between my main and dessert, adding extra runs the risk of a hypo as you don't know how you'd react, also if you are pretty new things are very unpredictable making it even more difficult at times xx
Thnaks~

Jackco

Hi Jacko,

How high is the delayed spike?

I agree with @kaylz91 on this.. Experiment with timing on splitting the corect dose for the carbs consumed.

You're not far wrong. We are individuals. Even different days on the same routine don't always stack up..
The delayed high will go up to around 180~220 ish, depends on the fat and carb.