COVID vaccine delayed by giving to kids first??

CFitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wasnt too sure where to post this and sorry for the upcoming rant!
A GP on Good Morning Britain just mentioned that they are considering giving the Pfizer vaccine to secondary school kids which will delay its roll out in other groups?? Has anyone else heard this?? Am I seriously hearing that people such as my elderly parents and us with diabetes who have had next to no life all year may have to wait longer so they can keep the schools open and give a highly expensive and effective vaccine to kids who themselves dont need to be protected?!? At LEAST give them the Oxford one which we will have more of once approved...

Edited by Mod

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It does seem a little pointless especially as so far as we know the vaccine does not stop transmission nor infection but simply reduces symptoms.
As kids don't suffer with it anyway it does seem rather pointless to vaccinate them against something that doesn't do them much (if any) harm.

Last edited:
Reactions: CFitzgerald

CFitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It does a little pointless especially as so far as we know the vaccine does not stop transmission nor infection but simply reduces symptoms.
As kids don't suffer with it anyway it does seem rather pointless to vaccinate them against something that doesn't do them much (if any) harm.

That is such a good point

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wasnt too sure where to post this and sorry for the upcoming rant!
A GP on Good Morning Britain just mentioned that they are considering giving the Pfizer vaccine to secondary school kids which will delay its roll out in other groups?? Has anyone else heard this?? Am I seriously hearing that people such as my elderly parents and us with diabetes who have had next to no life all year may have to wait longer so they can keep the schools open and give a highly expensive and effective vaccine to kids who themselves dont need to be protected?!? At LEAST give them the Oxford one which we will have more of once approved...

Edited by Mod

As I understand it, the vaccines cannot be given to children of school age, because they were not included in the trials, and further testing/studies will be necessary before they can be approved for children.

I suspect that the GP in question should have verified that fact before sticking his uniformed neck out on national TV.

Max68

Certainly seems strange considering the government stated that schools were covid safe and yet there is apparent proof that children/young people over a certain age spread the thing. With this new more contagious strain of the virus the government may well be cooking this idea up as a way to keep schools open, although IMO if a school isn't safe with the previous strain how will it be with a strain apparently up to 70% more transmissible?! Of course it hasn't been confirmed as yet if the vaccines will work with this new strain, all we have is conjecture.

CFitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Certainly seems strange considering the government stated that schools were covid safe and yet there is apparent proof that children/young people over a certain age spread the thing. With this new more contagious strain of the virus the government may well be cooking this idea up as a way to keep schools open, although IMO if a school isn't safe with the previous strain how will it be with a strain apparently up to 70% more transmissible?! Of course it hasn't been confirmed as yet if the vaccines will work with this new strain, all we have is conjecture.

I know its super controversial shutting schools and far from ideal but I just cant help feel they should shut them for a month or two and try to get others vaccinated as quickly as possible!

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t see how they can justify this since it’s not been tested on under 16’s, isn’t advised by the manufacturer or MHRA.

I’m really pro-vaccine but even I’d be hard pressed to believe it’s a good idea to vaccinate my 11yr old son on this basis.

On the latest press briefing Johnson said the plan remains to vaccinate those most vulnerable, people in T4 will not get a wider roll out just because of infection rates. I know we can’t rely on his word but I think the current roll out is the fairest approach.

CFitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don’t see how they can justify this since it’s not been tested on under 16’s, isn’t advised by the manufacturer or MHRA.

I’m really pro-vaccine but even I’d be hard pressed to believe it’s a good idea to vaccinate my 11yr old son on this basis.

On the latest press briefing Johnson said the plan remains to vaccinate those most vulnerable, people in T4 will not get a wider roll out just because of infection rates. I know we can’t rely on his word but I think the current roll out is the fairest approach.

Thank you for the update!

lindisfel

Expert
As I understand it, the vaccines cannot be given to children of school age, because they were not included in the trials, and further testing/studies will be necessary before they can be approved for children.

I suspect that the GP in question should have verified that fact before sticking his uniformed neck out on national TV.
Your right it mentioned that fact on the documentation I got today when I was vaccinated.
D.