Week old order from DGF - should I just bin it?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning All

I have just received my order from DGF - should have been delivered last Wednesday - almost a week old - Should I just bin it - I don't want to look inside as I am assuming it will be mouldy - all you other DGF people out there in your experience will it be yuk after being stuck at Peterborough Mail Centre for just under a week? Comments welcome

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d have thought it’d still be fine after a week. Must be worth a look!

Reactions: Mrs T 123

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who is DGF? What kind of food is it? I would definitely have a cautious look and then maybe contact the company and check their delivery policy - they may refund you, if it’s a tracked order they probably pay insurance on it :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Who is DGF? What kind of food is it? I would definitely have a cautious look and then maybe contact the company and check their delivery policy - they may refund you, if it’s a tracked order they probably pay insurance on it :)

I THINK it is low carb cakes etc from Deliciously guilt free (a low carb site). In answer to the question @Mrs T 123 , like all other food, do the sniff test! If it looks alright (no mould), smells ok and tastes ok, then it's ok as far as I am concerned. I'd also go back to the seller as well, I guess it being stuck in the Post isn't their fault but they DO have a partnership with their deliverers.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had my DGF deliveries take 48hrs instead of the promised 24hrs lately. At this time of year with cooler temperatures, I would risk eating them if they looked and smelt ok. I wouldn’t risk week old stock during a hot summer though.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d have thought it’d still be fine after a week. Must be worth a look!
Cheers for that I slowly and carefully looked at them and they seem ok - noticed best before date is 23/12. I don't think chocolate goes mouldy come to think of it but I don't know what it would look like if it went offish? x

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers for that I slowly and carefully looked at them and they seem ok - noticed best before date is 23/12. I don't think chocolate goes mouldy come to think of it but I don't know what it would look like if it went offish? x

I think they’d harden and go crumbly of off. Are DGF sending you some new ones? They must be getting very frustrated with the postal system!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had my DGF deliveries take 48hrs instead of the promised 24hrs lately. At this time of year with cooler temperatures, I would risk eating them if they looked and smelt ok. I wouldn’t risk week old stock during a hot summer though.
Cheers for that - that's what made me think twice - as it is cold at the moment and they have been stuck in a cold building probably and they appear cold to the touch - best before date on them is 23/12 so not at their best but probably ok - just in from work and hungry so I have tried the raspberry bakewell one I think - so we'll see if I live to tell the tale ... x

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think they’d harden and go crumbly of off. Are DGF sending you some new ones? They must be getting very frustrated with the postal system!
Thanks for that - they still appear quite moist so probably ok - Yes I have let DGF know and they have sent fresh ones out to me today - just checked and they are at Peterborough MC so I wonder how long for this time ... yes so frustrating and there is nowhere you can even complain to or leave a review about Peterborough - I had the same problem with my SLC order but the fresh re-order arrived within 48 hours.

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it is tracked - so yes they should be able to claim on the insurance - I never thought about that - thanks x

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I THINK it is low carb cakes etc from Deliciously guilt free (a low carb site). In answer to the question @Mrs T 123 , like all other food, do the sniff test! If it looks alright (no mould), smells ok and tastes ok, then it's ok as far as I am concerned. I'd also go back to the seller as well, I guess it being stuck in the Post isn't their fault but they DO have a partnership with their deliverers.
Passed the sniff test etc. - thanks x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must say, with all the frustration I see between these and the LC bread subs, I wonder if it's really worth it - especially at this time of year.

Of course, I fully accept that my viewpoint, having no sweet tooth and not being fussed about bread (would have to be GF, so I just don't bother), will be heavily influenced.

I do hope it gets better in the NY when the seasonal post settles a bit.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They freeze well, and aren't they supposed to have a cupboard (or fridge) life of 7 days after delivery?
Whatever the specifics, I usually just pop them straight in the freezer as soon as they arrive, and then defrost them as nec.
Since they only take half an hour to defrost individually, we (well, my father) ends up eating them at the same stage of freshness that they arrived on the doormat.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I learned from my mother in the 50s before we had a fridge; do the smell test. If it's sweet stuff it won't go bad anyway. It's mainly meat & fish you need to be more careful with.