Concerned about testing heart rate

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Was trying out the ECG feature on my watch and it said it can’t carry it out on a heart rate < 50bpm. Looking at the resting heart rate it is showing I am averaging 47 this month and since May it has dropped from around 65 - 70 steadily down

a google search is showing < 60 is low. So now a bit worried

now, I’m not an athlete at all, just doing 30mins a day exercise bike and walking when I can. I have noticed my bike watts has increased from 60s to 200s so am definitely significantly stronger bike wise but still... hardly a major athlete I think

Should I be worried or is this normal?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I'm no expert @Andydragon but I'd suggest that if you are not experiencing symptoms such as dizzyness, fatigue or fainting then you don't have to worry (too much). But a phone call to the doc costs next to nothing and they might ask you to take a ecg to check that there's nothing untoward going on.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm no expert @Andydragon but I'd suggest that if you are not experiencing symptoms such as dizzyness, fatigue or fainting then you don't have to worry (too much). But a phone call to the doc costs next to nothing and they might ask you to take a ecg to check that there's nothing untoward going on.
Thanks, I’ll contact them today. Mine seems to be running some of their activities so hopefully can check it out

All this improvement just leads to concerns in other areas. But never mind, all part of life’s rich tapestry I guess!

Reactions: urbanracer

Jo123

That's fine, mine is low like that and it is a good thing, I've discussed with Doctor. I exercise regularly too.

Don't worry!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's fine, mine is low like that and it is a good thing, I've discussed with Doctor. I exercise regularly too.

Don't worry!
Well that’s good to know I’m not the only one! More the reason for the post I guess to see if others do, I thought that a lower heart rate was good but then to read too low is potentially bad just worried me a bit

I’m going to contact the doctor anyway just to be safe.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that’s good to know I’m not the only one! More the reason for the post I guess to see if others do, I thought that a lower heart rate was good but then to read too low is potentially bad just worried me a bit

I’m going to contact the doctor anyway just to be safe.
Go in your car just in case! :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here. You don't have to be a super athlete at all to have a low heart rate, I exercise regularly too (nothing extreme) and mine sits between 48 & 52 and has done for years. I have mentioned it over the years to GPs & Consultants and in the absence of any other heart related issues etc, it's actually a good sign. As always though, it is always worth mentioning to your own GP as none of us would know your other full health circs. x

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Also do a manual count and test the accuracy of your watch?

Reactions: hankjam

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here. You don't have to be a super athlete at all to have a low heart rate, I exercise regularly too (nothing extreme) and mine sits between 48 & 52 and has done for years. I have mentioned it over the years to GPs & Consultants and in the absence of any other heart related issues etc, it's actually a good sign. As always though, it is always worth mentioning to your own GP as none of us would know your other full health circs. x
Thanks for this
I have a phone consult with my doctor on Wednesday
So shall see what is said then

Reactions: KK123

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

Was trying out the ECG feature on my watch and it said it can’t carry it out on a heart rate < 50bpm. Looking at the resting heart rate it is showing I am averaging 47 this month and since May it has dropped from around 65 - 70 steadily down

a google search is showing < 60 is low. So now a bit worried

now, I’m not an athlete at all, just doing 30mins a day exercise bike and walking when I can. I have noticed my bike watts has increased from 60s to 200s so am definitely significantly stronger bike wise but still... hardly a major athlete I think

Should I be worried or is this normal?
I am a trainer so have some basic knowledge. Resting heart rates range widely but about 70-80 is average. Low does NOT imply unhealthy though - it is partly what you were born with, whether you've just been active or had a strong coffee and can be a great reflection of becoming fitter. More physical exertion and/or weight loss would do this.
If you're finding it easier to run up stairs etc. this might be the reason for your reduced heart rate but obviously if you have any other symptoms ring 111 etc. etc.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I am a trainer so have some basic knowledge. Resting heart rates range widely but about 70-80 is average. Low does NOT imply unhealthy though - it is partly what you were born with, whether you've just been active or had a strong coffee and can be a great reflection of becoming fitter. More physical exertion and/or weight loss would do this.
If you're finding it easier to run up stairs etc. this might be the reason for your reduced heart rate but obviously if you have any other symptoms ring 111 etc. etc.
I'm a bit confused. I thought that strong coffee would substantially increase heartrate? You seem to be suggesting that it would lead to a lower heart rate.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry bit late to this, my testing heart rate is the 40s or 50s, bear in mind your watch will count heart rate during the night which drops.

Also, I checked mine with the manual method, and using blood pressure monitor and the watch is always low compared. This is with s good quality Garmin watch too.

One way to make it more accurate is to make sure.its tight to your wrist, and even shave the area under the contact. I realised that i like the accuracy when I'm active, so I tighten the strap when I run. But when I'm at rest I tend to like to looser so it's not as accurate so I really wouldn't put much stock in it.

Having a lo w testing heart rate is a good thing in 99.99% of cases, where it's not you should expect all kids of nasty symptoms to go with it

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry bit late to this, my testing heart rate is the 40s or 50s, bear in mind your watch will count heart rate during the night which drops.

Also, I checked mine with the manual method, and using blood pressure monitor and the watch is always low compared. This is with s good quality Garmin watch too.

One way to make it more accurate is to make sure.its tight to your wrist, and even shave the area under the contact. I realised that i like the accuracy when I'm active, so I tighten the strap when I run. But when I'm at rest I tend to like to looser so it's not as accurate so I really wouldn't put much stock in it.

Having a lo w testing heart rate is a good thing in 99.99% of cases, where it's not you should expect all kids of nasty symptoms to go with it
I don’t wear mine at night so that won’t be impacting
Accuracy is of course a good question, it might be an impact and I did read up on that issue. As with all things internet, there is a mix of opinions on accuracy

May well be hypochondria a little and I’m sure doctors have had a load of calls from people relying on their devices but many of us self test and that is pretty inaccurate so...

I’ll chat to the doctor, it’s probably nothing to worry about but it was good to hear that getting a lower heart rate isn’t quite as “prime athlete” as the internet seems to suggest

Reactions: KK123

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
First thing I would say is that watches can be highly in accurate so if you feel ok my first suggestion would be to use a proper blood pressure monitor to give you an actual hear rate.. or do it the traditional find s pulse way.. to confirm you watches reading

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First thing I would say is that watches can be highly in accurate so if you feel ok my first suggestion would be to use a proper blood pressure monitor to give you an actual hear rate.. or do it the traditional find s pulse way.. to confirm you watches reading
I actually do have a blood pressure monitor so tried that and it was exactly the same rate as per my watch on that single reading (50) with BP 105/73 (no idea!)

Have done a couple more during the day and BP reading pretty much the same, heart rate average 47. The watch resting rate today is 48, playing with watch to record heart rate at same time as BP affects readings, but roughly same readings so I am reasonably comfortable it’s not too far off accuracy wise

don’t like BP, painful :arghh:

I have phone appointment Wednesday so will do a few tests with the BP to get some readings also, just in case

Last edited:

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Bp looks low aswell. Do a few tests a day.. record and speak to gp

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bp looks low aswell. Do a few tests a day.. record and speak to gp
Yeah, good idea, just did it now (but have just driven home so stress :D) 121/73, pulse 46 (bloods of 3.7, oops)

The internet searches I did seem to indicate no worries with it but will definitely get a few readings.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay, spoken to the doctor who wasn’t overly concerned but did say it is quite low but could be due to all of the exercise / weight loss changes

to be on the safe side I am having an ECG on Friday

there are so many changes due to the weight loss, I expected some but so many other things I didn’t expect, but all part of life’s rich tapestry!

iainf1

Hi, I am trying to reduce my HbAc1 from 107 (mid-December. So just about a month ago) and was told to get as much exercise as possible (as well as be more strict with my diet). I have been walking every day this year and am now averaging about 9,500 steps through walking once or twice a day. I try to keep my heart rate above 130 and in the 140s if possible (male, 63, 103kg) and wanted to find out if this was a good regime. At first my weight dropped a bit but has gone up in the last day or so, however my body fat has reduced from 26.3% to 23.9%. I have another test in two months and want to get the figure down as much as possible. Am I doing the right thing - unfortunately with the gym closed at the moment I can’t do any strength training.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I am trying to reduce my HbAc1 from 107 (mid-December. So just about a month ago) and was told to get as much exercise as possible (as well as be more strict with my diet). I have been walking every day this year and am now averaging about 9,500 steps through walking once or twice a day. I try to keep my heart rate above 130 and in the 140s if possible (male, 63, 103kg) and wanted to find out if this was a good regime. At first my weight dropped a bit but has gone up in the last day or so, however my body fat has reduced from 26.3% to 23.9%. I have another test in two months and want to get the figure down as much as possible. Am I doing the right thing - unfortunately with the gym closed at the moment I can’t do any strength training.
My advice to my type 2s or those trying to improve insulin sensitivity i.e. lose your resistance to insulin as shown in your blood sugar results and in fat/weight reduction is to a) do what you're doing i.e. low intensity steady state cardio 2) if you feel able to add in something that gets you a little more breathless for 30 seconds at a time (does not have to be a sprint but could be a hill or running up some stairs - if you've been walking for a while and regularly getting your heart rate elevated you should be ready for this 3) improving muscles twice a week will help boost your metabolism. I work in a gym but like everybody else I am doing this at home with body weight, kettle bells or resistance bands. With a bit of help I'd rate this better than sitting on gym machines as you will typically be using more muscle doing a press up, for example, than you will sat on a chest press machine or lying on a bench so please try swapping a long walk for a shorter more intense session and some big bodyweight moves e.g. squat, deadlift, push up, lunge, shoulder press. There are a few good apps (I am using Peleton) with lots of online classes for all levels and with little or no kit needed. Try
Hope this helps and remember you've done well to get your fitness up so this is finessing things alongside whatever you are doing with your diet (about 80% of results are from diet).

Reactions: Goonergal