Anyone tried juice-fasting to bring sugar readings down?

Beating-My-Betes

As the thread title suggests.

Going to be starting a juice-fast on Monday 11th January (2021), and wondered if anyone else had tried it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes a while ago and no I wouldn't recommend it in the slightest.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would imagine that drinking juice - whether veg or fruit or some combination - would be one of the quickest ways to increase blood sugars.

Reactions: Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes

I would imagine that drinking juice - whether veg or fruit or some combination - would be one of the quickest ways to increase blood sugars.

Thanks!

Actually, the last time I tried it I dropped my fasting sugar by 100 points in 3 days, drinking straight fruit-juice from a carton. Didn't have the discipline to continue, but it was an encouraging start.

That fast was not intentional, and was for other reasons...hence the not great quality of juice. But this time I will be better prepared.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thanks!

Actually, the last time I tried it I dropped my fasting sugar by 100 points in 3 days, drinking straight fruit-juice from a carton. Didn't have the discipline to continue, but it was an encouraging start.

That fast was not intentional, and was for other reasons...hence the not great quality of juice. But this time I will be better prepared.

If drinking the kind of thing some insulin users drink to counteract a hypo actually reduces your BG, can I ask what your normal diet is?

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Beating-My-Betes

If drinking the kind of thing some insulin users drink to counteract a hypo actually reduces your BG, can I ask what your normal diet is?

Thanks!

Because i'm interested in long-term improvements in insulin sensitivity, and not as worried about short-term spikes. With my current level of (in)sensitivity, the spike will be greater, and longer-lasting. The theory is that I should be able to improve my sensitivity to the extent that I can better tolerate carbs, with a lesser-pronounced spike and a quicker return to normal.

The main mechanism by which this should start to happen is via a large chunk of weight-loss. From there, it might take some tweaking.

My normal diet is vegan, with a preference for high-carb. Unfortunately, I err on the side of junk-food veganism, and this is where I run into issues i.e too much fat is not a good recipe for a high-carber.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks!

Facinating, pending on volume. I can pull myself out of hypoglycemia by the same amount..
Fructose.. Basically a form of sugar.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
For long term results I would suggest that the answer is to eat what gets you normal blood sugars, energy, vitality, health and strength consistently; anything else, will not be long term.

When you say you eat junk food Vegan, you already know the answer to that point consciously, so you need to convert the sentiment to actions that work for someone who is carbohydrate intolerant.

I accept beetroot, butternut squash, carrots and berries into my LCK regime. I understand that my HbA1c may not be low 30's, so take the mid 30's. It is not likely the a WFPB approach for example with root vegetables will get you the numbers you seek, so within the parameters you have selected, I would suggest being frank about the foods on your protocol that will work.

Yesterday I listened to Dr Gabrielle Lyons. She is on the meat side of things, but is true expert on protein. She stated that muscle can provide up 60% of glucose disposal - this has got to be applicable to Vegans also, so maybe Power Building would help you.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fructose is so bad for the liver as it can cause fatty liver which in turn causes insulin resistance.