Raise ketones through drugs or....

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Drugs over diet.... hmmm, tough call. Perhaps consult a pharmaceutical rep for nonbiased advice. :D

AlfonsoJones

Ketones are more a side effect of SGLT2s than a benefit. Your kidneys can only naturally filter out a certain amount of extra glucose - the drug allows more excretion. Theyre also cardio and renal protective. SGLT2s cost around £50/month, they’re not considering making them first-line treatment in place of metformin for no reason.

AlfonsoJones

Look at the EMC/BNF/NICE advice - you’re not supposed to take the sglt2 if on a car free diet or you’re fasting DUE to the risk of ketones

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ketones are more a side effect of SGLT2s than a benefit. Your kidneys can only naturally filter out a certain amount of extra glucose - the drug allows more excretion. Theyre also cardio and renal protective. SGLT2s cost around £50/month, they’re not considering making them first-line treatment in place of metformin for no reason.
And a ketogenic diet is effectively free... plus brings multiple extra health benefits with zero side effects.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look at the EMC/BNF/NICE advice - you’re not supposed to take the sglt2 if on a car free diet or you’re fasting DUE to the risk of ketones
I think you are missing my point somewhat.. why take a medication to induce what some minor dietary changes can bring about naturally?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are missing my point somewhat.. why take a medication to induce what some minor dietary changes can bring about naturally?
Not everyone can have a keto diet, so it's good to have options for those who can't.

AlfonsoJones

Because the research studies show the benefit. Carb free often isn’t suitable for people, can make other bloods go off tilt. SGLT2 studies also are finding them to be cv and renal protective

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically, there's magic in p**ing carbs vs not eating them...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carb free often isn’t suitable for people, can make other bloods go off tilt.
Eating wholesome single ingredient low carb foods should be fine for all (its what the human race grew up on after all).
What "other" bloods do you mean and how can we be so sure they are "off" rather than normalised?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Please excuse my ignorance, keytones are good because they eat fat? Ive currently got a pharmacist at a hospital telling me I should go onto these sglt2 meds instead of novorapid because of my hypos, I always have keytones present regardless what I eat, so I assume this is a good thing?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please excuse my ignorance, keytones are good because they eat fat? Ive currently got a pharmacist at a hospital telling me I should go onto these sglt2 meds instead of novorapid because of my hypos, I always have keytones present regardless what I eat, so I assume this is a good thing?
The liver converts fatty acids into ketones which are then released into the bloodstream for use as energy.
It is normal to have a low level of ketones as ketones will be produced whenever body fat is burned.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is normal to have a low level of ketones

Not unless you are low carb enough to activate fat burning.. otherwise you'll be using glucose first.
Maybe first thing in the morning after an overnight fast but I doubt many will produce ketones "normally".

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ketones are an indicator that you have burned through stored/ingested glucose and are starting to use fat as fuel.
If you are having hypos then you are taking in too much insulin.
I know you have tried low carbing with success before so maybe giving your pancreas a rest with the insulin use has given your beta cells a boost.. maybe time to try ultra low carb again (with doc's knowledge of course).

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not unless you are low carb enough to activate fat burning.. otherwise you'll be using glucose first.
Maybe first thing in the morning after an overnight fast but I doubt many will produce ketones "normally".
Below 0.6 mmol/L is the normal level of ketones, not zero.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Below 0.6 mmol/L is the normal level of ketones, not zero.
Do you have a source for that?
Interested to know when they measure.. certainly not after a carb heavy breakfast I'll wager.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Ketones are an indicator that you have burned through stored/ingested glucose and are starting to use fat as fuel.
If you are having hypos then you are taking in too much insulin.
I know you have tried low carbing with success before so maybe giving your pancreas a rest with the insulin use has given your beta cells a boost.. maybe time to try ultra low carb again (with doc's knowledge of course).
Maybe so, cant hurt I guess, thanks

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
upload_2021-1-13_17-26-42.jpeg
Do you have a source for that?
Interested to know when they measure.. certainly not after a carb heavy breakfast I'll wager.
What should the ketone test results be?
  • Under 0.6 mmol/L – a normal blood ketone value
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/testing-for-ketones.html

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only