Newly diagnosed - expected change in BG levels

lechiffre1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed on Thursday.

When I got home I took my blood sugar levels with a digital reader.

It was 26. Aaaarrgghh.

I've been taking my readings pre-breakfast and at 4pm. My levels have been steadily falling.

Friday 22.6 and 16.9 (ave. 19.8)
Saturday 20.3 and 14.4 (ave. 17.3)
Sunday 17.6 and 12.8 (ave. 15.2)

That 15.2 is a 41% decrease from my initial 26 reading.

I am dieting well and have been exercising. I've also started taking metformin (1 tablet daily but doctor wants to get that to 4 per day. My diagnosis for Hb1Ac was 126.

Can I expect to see continual falls like those above, or will things start to level out pretty soon? I know everyone is different but would appreciate some thoughts.

Thanks!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We always say that getting your levels down is a marathon not a sprint. They are heading in the right direction so well done!
I have to say though that testing right before and two hours after the first bite of a meal will give you a better idea of how your body reacts to different foods. You are looking to see no more than a 2 mmol/l rise between the readings.

Reactions: lechiffre1969

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welome,

You say you have been dieting well- what diet are you following?

lechiffre1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welome,

You say you have been dieting well- what diet are you following?

It's mostly improvised with the current food in the fridge. See attached.

Next week will change with a new food shop arriving tomorrow. :)

Next week's menu has been taken from the 8-week blood sugar diet recipe book

Attachments

• Food and Blood.jpg
    Food and Blood.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 188

lechiffre1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would love to know if eating eggs daily (2 for scrambled egg) is ok. I would expect to perhaps have scrambled egg 3 - 4 times per week and porridge for the remaining 3 days.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would love to know if eating eggs daily (2 for scrambled egg) is ok. I would expect to perhaps have scrambled egg 3 - 4 times per week and porridge for the remaining 3 days.

Eggs are fine, I have at least one a day every day. Above I suggested testing before and after meals, porridge is one thing you definitely need to test, many of us type 2s can’t tolerate porridge. I make this fake ‘porridge’, it’s lovely:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

lechiffre1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eggs are fine, I have at least one a day every day. Above I suggested testing before and after meals, porridge is one thing you definitely need to test, many of us type 2s can’t tolerate porridge. I make this fake ‘porridge’, it’s lovely:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

Thank you, that's great advice. Will definitely try the recipe - but psyllium husk powder is new on me! I'm taking some positives out of my diagnosis in that I will start to discover lots of new foods.

I will definitely test re the porridge as I really enjoy it, but will drop it if it's negatively impacting me.

thanks again.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have psyllium husk flour, almond and coconut flour, soy flour, wheat gluten, Xanthan gum and rather a lot of flavouring and colouring, and artificial sweetener which accumulated as I was buying it and forgetting to use it for a while until I crossed it off my list. I go through eggs at some rate, and I have various kitchen toys for processing and cooking food. I did intend to experiment to get a good bread recipe, but I don't eat it these days - I like bread with kippers, and I have those in the freezer, so I ought to get on with it.
I have a waffle maker so I can make wraps from eggs and cheese, they are great with extra thick bacon to make a low carb sandwich - which I have called a chaffy.