One to avoid

Chriztopher

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been trying to find quick easy breakfast ideas of late, and really have been missing porridge (oats do not agree with my blood sugars).

Imagine my delight when I found Full Green set instant microwaveable ‘porridge’ that is only 15g of carbs with no added sugar, made from cauliflower rice etc https://uk.fullgreen.com/products/apple-cinnamon

This was honestly the most DISGUSTING thing I think I have ever eaten. I nearly vomited after the second spoon.

It is weirdly very acidic, and have a very very overpowering flavour of cauliflower (which I didn’t expect as I don’t find that their instant rice is as over powering)

If anyone actually likes this stuff let me know, as I have 5 more pouches destined for the bin.

IMG_1602.jpg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try a tablespoon or 2 of milled linseed heated for a couple of minutes in almond milk, or coconut milk. Add cinnamon or nutmeg, and if you need it, a little sweetener

Reactions: Chriztopher

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve been trying to find quick easy breakfast ideas of late, and really have been missing porridge (oats do not agree with my blood sugars).

Imagine my delight when I found Full Green set instant microwaveable ‘porridge’ that is only 15g of carbs with no added sugar, made from cauliflower rice etc https://uk.fullgreen.com/products/apple-cinnamon

This was honestly the most DISGUSTING thing I think I have ever eaten. I nearly vomited after the second spoon.

It is weirdly very acidic, and have a very very overpowering flavour of cauliflower (which I didn’t expect as I don’t find that their instant rice is as over powering)

If anyone actually likes this stuff let me know, as I have 5 more pouches destined for the bin.

View attachment 46825
If it sounds to good to be true...
I am always a bit suspicious of ersatz versions of low carb foods eg. 'pizza', non alcoholic beer and decaf coffee.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As my steak with mushrooms and tomato and courgette and sweet peppers comes in at fewer carbs, I don't think I'll be trying that anytime soon

Chriztopher

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As my steak with mushrooms and tomato and courgette and sweet peppers comes in at fewer carbs, I don't think I'll be trying that anytime soon

For me it was about something that was quick and easy that I could eat for breakfast when I’m working as I stay in a hotel (currently they don’t do breakfast due to Covid) and the office which only have a microwave

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

View attachment 46825

Its probably good as a wallpaper glue.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe try microwave three beaten eggs, best done either at low power or in short blasts, add grated cheese, green salad from a pack of ready to eat.

Last edited:

FIGARO5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that just makes me want to cry, is this what i've got looking forward to eating
No, don't panic. I eat gluten free porridge, more expensive but it suits my IBS as well as my Type 2 Diabetes. Everyone is different. Just find what suits you

floml123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Chriztopher

Looks awful haha. I thought porridge didn't agree with my bloods either as caused me huge spikes after eating, but taking fast acting 15/20 mins before I eat it seems to help keep my levels steady. Now have porridge or overnight oats (oats/milk/greek yoghurt/blueberries mixed up and left overnight in the fridge) and no big issues with post breakfast blood sugars.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Chriztopher

Looks awful haha. I thought porridge didn't agree with my bloods either as caused me huge spikes after eating, but taking fast acting 15/20 mins before I eat it seems to help keep my levels steady. Now have porridge or overnight oats (oats/milk/greek yoghurt/blueberries mixed up and left overnight in the fridge) and no big issues with post breakfast blood sugars.
The porridge still does. You cancel it out with insulin now. Depends if you’re happy using the insulin in order to have porridge. As a type 2 I have the choice not to absolutely require insulin as a type 1 does and avoiding porridge helps ensure I keep the choice. You don’t say which you are and it makes a very big difference to the problems and the solutions available

floml123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The porridge still does. You cancel it out with insulin now. Depends if you’re happy using the insulin in order to have porridge. As a type 2 I have the choice not to absolutely require insulin as a type 1 does and avoiding porridge helps ensure I keep the choice. You don’t say which you are and it makes a very big difference to the problems and the solutions available
Ah sorry - was speaking from a T1 perspective!

Chriztopher

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I’m LADA / Type 1.5. So have insulin, but I want to try avoiding carbs rather than negate them with insulin (purely a personal choice). I’ve had oats a couple of times and they massively spiked me, I also find myself super ‘sensitive’ in the mornings, so things like berry’s can have little effect at lunch or dinner, but spike me a lot in the morning (really not sure if others get that or not).

Reactions: Fati1

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that I am best eatiing about 1/4 of my carbs in the morning and then the rest in the evening as that is when I can cope with them better. I need some carbs to stop ever increasing levels as my liver throws out glucose, just not much.