1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

One to avoid

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Chriztopher, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Chriztopher

Chriztopher LADA · Well-Known Member

I’ve been trying to find quick easy breakfast ideas of late, and really have been missing porridge (oats do not agree with my blood sugars).

Imagine my delight when I found Full Green set instant microwaveable ‘porridge’ that is only 15g of carbs with no added sugar, made from cauliflower rice etc https://uk.fullgreen.com/products/apple-cinnamon

This was honestly the most DISGUSTING thing I think I have ever eaten. I nearly vomited after the second spoon.

It is weirdly very acidic, and have a very very overpowering flavour of cauliflower (which I didn’t expect as I don’t find that their instant rice is as over powering)

If anyone actually likes this stuff let me know, as I have 5 more pouches destined for the bin.

IMG_1602.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The date paste would have put me off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Try a tablespoon or 2 of milled linseed heated for a couple of minutes in almond milk, or coconut milk. Add cinnamon or nutmeg, and if you need it, a little sweetener

• Like Like x 1
  4. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Try this recipe from Diet Doctor- I make batches up of the dry ingredients and I some shredded coconut, I make it up in the morning using the microwave and double cream rather than the coconut or almond milk. It’s easy and delish

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/judys-low-carb-porridge

• Like Like x 1
  5. aard

aard · Well-Known Member

that just makes me want to cry, is this what i've got looking forward to eating

• Like Like x 1
  6. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If it sounds to good to be true...
    I am always a bit suspicious of ersatz versions of low carb foods eg. 'pizza', non alcoholic beer and decaf coffee.

7. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

As my steak with mushrooms and tomato and courgette and sweet peppers comes in at fewer carbs, I don't think I'll be trying that anytime soon

8. Chriztopher

For me it was about something that was quick and easy that I could eat for breakfast when I’m working as I stay in a hotel (currently they don’t do breakfast due to Covid) and the office which only have a microwave

9. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

Its probably good as a wallpaper glue.

10. Resurgam

Maybe try microwave three beaten eggs, best done either at low power or in short blasts, add grated cheese, green salad from a pack of ready to eat.

• Like Like x 1
    #10 Resurgam, Jan 20, 2021 at 1:37 AM
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  11. FIGARO5

FIGARO5 Type 2 · Active Member

No, don't panic. I eat gluten free porridge, more expensive but it suits my IBS as well as my Type 2 Diabetes. Everyone is different. Just find what suits you

12. floml123

floml123 Type 1 · Member

Hey Chriztopher

Looks awful haha. I thought porridge didn't agree with my bloods either as caused me huge spikes after eating, but taking fast acting 15/20 mins before I eat it seems to help keep my levels steady. Now have porridge or overnight oats (oats/milk/greek yoghurt/blueberries mixed up and left overnight in the fridge) and no big issues with post breakfast blood sugars.

13. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

The porridge still does. You cancel it out with insulin now. Depends if you’re happy using the insulin in order to have porridge. As a type 2 I have the choice not to absolutely require insulin as a type 1 does and avoiding porridge helps ensure I keep the choice. You don’t say which you are and it makes a very big difference to the problems and the solutions available

14. floml123

floml123 Type 1 · Member

Ah sorry - was speaking from a T1 perspective!

15. Chriztopher

I’m LADA / Type 1.5. So have insulin, but I want to try avoiding carbs rather than negate them with insulin (purely a personal choice). I’ve had oats a couple of times and they massively spiked me, I also find myself super ‘sensitive’ in the mornings, so things like berry’s can have little effect at lunch or dinner, but spike me a lot in the morning (really not sure if others get that or not).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Resurgam

I found that I am best eatiing about 1/4 of my carbs in the morning and then the rest in the evening as that is when I can cope with them better. I need some carbs to stop ever increasing levels as my liver throws out glucose, just not much.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook