EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, my 90 yo T2 dad had the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine a couple of weeks ago, and is booked to have the second in March. He was impressed with the organisation of the vaccine distribution (social distancing, fans going, disinfection of seats etc).

However, I was very unimpressed to hear that his doctor's surgery offered him the vaccine a couple of days ago. They had no idea that he'd already been called up for a dose. It concerns me that some of the current target age group may not be organised enough to remember when and where they've had their first dose of vaccine (or even which vaccine they've had). Shouldn't the system be recording who's had the vaccine and not be calling people up twice?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I share your concerns after reading your post Ellie. Who contacted him the first time, when he had the vaccine?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know one 83 year old who didn't know how to use her mobile phone properly, so she didn't pick up the voicemail messages and missed 2 appointments. She only lives 100 metres from the surgery, you would think they could have slipped a note through her door after she missed the 2nd one, but her granddaughter only found out what had happened when she chased it up.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, my 90 yo T2 dad had the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine a couple of weeks ago, and is booked to have the second in March. He was impressed with the organisation of the vaccine distribution (social distancing, fans going, disinfection of seats etc).

However, I was very unimpressed to hear that his doctor's surgery offered him the vaccine a couple of days ago. They had no idea that he'd already been called up for a dose. It concerns me that some of the current target age group may not be organised enough to remember when and where they've had their first dose of vaccine (or even which vaccine they've had). Shouldn't the system be recording who's had the vaccine and not be calling people up twice?

I wonder whether there is a sort of separate means of telling people unlinked with the actual recording system, say via a text message (which is how I get my flu reminder & appointment). I get the jab and quite often get sent another 'reminder' text. I am sure (I hope!!) that if I were to try and book another one, the computer would shout up NO!!! Also when you think of the sheer logistics it must be one helluva task! x

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, scary - you would hope it would be more organised ...

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did wonder how it would work now pharmacies have also started administering jabs, in addition to GPs, mass vaccination centres etc etc and how patients would be directed towards one or the other and how records would be kept. Hopefully it'll just be the one unneccessary phonecall :nailbiting:

Lilylala

Just got off the phone from my local Dr surgery offering my 80 year old mum the jab and the exactly the same ????? Had the nhs letter Saturday to book up via phone or online which was fortunate to book her in this Monday gone as Norwich have got a mass hub opened also pre booked for April 2nd dose , the Dr receptionist bemused that mother was the 6 th person today who had already said that they have got theirs done ???

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got off the phone from my local Dr surgery offering my 80 year old mum the jab and the exactly the same ????? Had the nhs letter Saturday to book up via phone or online which was fortunate to book her in this Monday gone as Norwich have got a mass hub opened also pre booked for April 2nd dose , the Dr receptionist bemused that mother was the 6 th person today who had already said that they have got theirs done ???
If I understand you correctly, your mum had a jab on Monday but the information hadn't got to her GP by Wednesday. I don't know how the information is passed but 2 days is not very long, unless it is automated which seems unlikely.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are supposed to input the vaccination on a database with the person's NHS number. Knowing how well IT works in the NHS I'm not at all surprised by this!!!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I share your concerns after reading your post Ellie. Who contacted him the first time, when he had the vaccine?

So I asked in my last zoom call (morning my time, evening yours) and both appointment notifications were made by phone. He reckons his GP were handing out the Oxford vaccine, as they don't have the facilities to store the Pfizer.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I asked in my last zoom call (morning my time, evening yours) and both appointment notifications were made by phone. He reckons his GP were handing out the Oxford vaccine, as they don't have the facilities to store the Pfizer.
Let's hope they don't make the same mistake with other people!!

I've just received a letter informing me I didn't attend a Hospital appointment so was being discharged back to care of gp. The problem is I never received the appointment letter. Have now got a telephone appointment for a mouth issue as they said they haven't got any actual appointments. This was an initial appt, and I don't think a telephone appt will achieve much, but it was that or nothing, so we will see.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let's hope they don't make the same mistake with other people!!

I've just received a letter informing me I didn't attend a Hospital appointment so was being discharged back to care of gp. The problem is I never received the appointment letter. Have now got a telephone appointment for a mouth issue as they said they haven't got any actual appointments. This was an initial appt, and I don't think a telephone appt will achieve much, but it was that or nothing, so we will see.
That's a common trick. I have had that happen to me and so has my son and my aunt.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

There have been some hiccups, as it's all so new and the government are trying to get as many people vaccinated as possible, but with this government well .........like a lot of things, no one seems to know what the other department is doing, or not doing.

Reactions: Robbity