1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Covid vaccine records (dis)organisation

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by EllieM, Jan 19, 2021.

1. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well, my 90 yo T2 dad had the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine a couple of weeks ago, and is booked to have the second in March. He was impressed with the organisation of the vaccine distribution (social distancing, fans going, disinfection of seats etc).

However, I was very unimpressed to hear that his doctor's surgery offered him the vaccine a couple of days ago. They had no idea that he'd already been called up for a dose. It concerns me that some of the current target age group may not be organised enough to remember when and where they've had their first dose of vaccine (or even which vaccine they've had). Shouldn't the system be recording who's had the vaccine and not be calling people up twice?

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I share your concerns after reading your post Ellie. Who contacted him the first time, when he had the vaccine?

3. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I know one 83 year old who didn't know how to use her mobile phone properly, so she didn't pick up the voicemail messages and missed 2 appointments. She only lives 100 metres from the surgery, you would think they could have slipped a note through her door after she missed the 2nd one, but her granddaughter only found out what had happened when she chased it up.

4. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I wonder whether there is a sort of separate means of telling people unlinked with the actual recording system, say via a text message (which is how I get my flu reminder & appointment). I get the jab and quite often get sent another 'reminder' text. I am sure (I hope!!) that if I were to try and book another one, the computer would shout up NO!!! Also when you think of the sheer logistics it must be one helluva task! x

5. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Yes, scary - you would hope it would be more organised ...

6. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I did wonder how it would work now pharmacies have also started administering jabs, in addition to GPs, mass vaccination centres etc etc and how patients would be directed towards one or the other and how records would be kept. Hopefully it'll just be the one unneccessary phonecall :nailbiting:

7. Lilylala

Lilylala · Well-Known Member

Just got off the phone from my local Dr surgery offering my 80 year old mum the jab and the exactly the same ????? Had the nhs letter Saturday to book up via phone or online which was fortunate to book her in this Monday gone as Norwich have got a mass hub opened also pre booked for April 2nd dose , the Dr receptionist bemused that mother was the 6 th person today who had already said that they have got theirs done ???

8. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If I understand you correctly, your mum had a jab on Monday but the information hadn't got to her GP by Wednesday. I don't know how the information is passed but 2 days is not very long, unless it is automated which seems unlikely.

9. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

They are supposed to input the vaccination on a database with the person's NHS number. Knowing how well IT works in the NHS I'm not at all surprised by this!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So I asked in my last zoom call (morning my time, evening yours) and both appointment notifications were made by phone. He reckons his GP were handing out the Oxford vaccine, as they don't have the facilities to store the Pfizer.

11. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Let's hope they don't make the same mistake with other people!!

I've just received a letter informing me I didn't attend a Hospital appointment so was being discharged back to care of gp. The problem is I never received the appointment letter. Have now got a telephone appointment for a mouth issue as they said they haven't got any actual appointments. This was an initial appt, and I don't think a telephone appt will achieve much, but it was that or nothing, so we will see.

• Hug Hug x 1
  12. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

That's a common trick. I have had that happen to me and so has my son and my aunt.

• Hug Hug x 1
  13. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

There have been some hiccups, as it's all so new and the government are trying to get as many people vaccinated as possible, but with this government well .........like a lot of things, no one seems to know what the other department is doing, or not doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook