Freestyle Libre not working?

Veyron_GTR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am new to using a CGM and this is the first problem that I've encountered with it.
I scan my sensor using my phone, which normally works great. But when I went to check it just now, it wouldn't scan.
The first two times that I tried to scan, it said that there had been an error in scanning and to try again, but then the sensor wouldn't scan at all, no matter what angle I held my phone or arm at.
I'm not sure how this could have happened as I scanned just an hour and a half ago and everything was working normally then, and I haven't done anything fishy with my phone since then.
I've tried restarting the app on my phone, turning my phone off and on again. Nothing seems to be working.
Any help to this would be greatly appreciated!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did it give you a message like 'Try again in 10 mins'? Sometimes this does happen and in most cases it does sort itself out within that 10 mins'

If you did get that message and it did not work after 10 mins then it could well be a faulty sensor (it happens - just like anything electronic), if it tells you its needs replacing it is definitely dead. In either case you'll need to phone Abbott to let them know and they should replace it for you - but they will want you to send back the failed sensor (so don't throw it away).

They may want you to check your phone for error codes in the app (I cant remember if the app can even store them, the reader definitely does).

As I say it can happen so don't panic :)

Veyron_GTR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did it give you a message like 'Try again in 10 mins'? Sometimes this does happen and in most cases it does sort itself out within that 10 mins'

If you did get that message and it did not work after 10 mins then it could well be a faulty sensor (it happens - just like anything electronic), if it tells you its needs replacing it is definitely dead. In either case you'll need to phone Abbott to let them know and they should replace it for you - but they will want you to send back the failed sensor (so don't throw it away).

They may want you to check your phone for error codes in the app (I cant remember if the app can even store them, the reader definitely does).

As I say it can happen so don't panic :)

No, I didn't receive any sort messages. It seems like I'm scanning over nothing and the sensor just isn't reading!
After some thinking, I reckon the sensor is dead, and thank you so much for the recommendation to call Abbot; I definitely will!
Also thank you so much for calming me down with your response! :)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, I didn't receive any sort messages. It seems like I'm scanning over nothing and the sensor just isn't reading!
After some thinking, I reckon the sensor is dead, and thank you so much for the recommendation to call Abbot; I definitely will!
Also thank you so much for calming me down with your response! :)

I'd keep the sensor on til you talk to them, just in case its something weird with your phone app that they can sort out for you (I wouldn't bet on it but you never know)
I presume you haven't accidentally turned off your phones NFC?

Veyron_GTR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd keep the sensor on til you talk to them, just in case its something weird with your phone app that they can sort out for you (I wouldn't bet on it but you never know)
I presume you haven't accidentally turned off your phones NFC?
Thank you for even more advice!
And, no, I don't see how I could've switched off the NFC.
Thank you so much, once again! I'm going to try and get some help from Abbott!
:)

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I use both the reader and phone for my Libre readings , last week I had nearly the same situation . One minute all ok next minute failed .i phoned abbot after a few checks they did via instruction over the phone they renewed my sensor and it came within 2 days. I’ve had a few sensors fail to read and Abbot have always replaced them, I’m not self funding I get mine on prescription.

Crisgood

Thank you for even more advice!
And, no, I don't see how I could've switched off the NFC.
Thank you so much, once again! I'm going to try and get some help from Abbott!
:)
What’s the NFC? I’ve had the Libre for a couple of years, but recently it isn’t working properly with my phone. It won’t always scan, not sure what the problem is...I did contact Abbots but they seemed only concerned with replacing it. This has not worked properly with the past 3 or so units, so I think it must be my phone. I’ve spoken to Apple, they said to update my Software, done but still not working properly! Was wondering if I should take the App off and reinstall...but I don’t know how to do this! Anyone found an answer yet??

RSJ1301

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve noticed in the last week or so that the Libre app on iOS is behaving a bit oddly... usually when I scanned the sensor successfully the phone would buzz and there would be the reading. Now if doesn’t buzz, the “scan sensor” message stays on the screen, but the reading is nevertheless displayed on the screen. So it’s reading the sensor, just not giving any of the usual indications that it is. And the figure displayed is still consistent with the standalone reader.

maryrachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Beetroot
So glad to have found this conversation. I have had the same with multiple sensors for several weeks. I think it might have coincided with the software update a couple of months ago. Now the touch sensitivity on the app is more difficult - have to keep tapping it, and scanning is random. Sometimes it does buzz like it used to, sometimes it doesn't buzz but reads ok and other times neither buzz nor scan??? Have any of you noticed these issues since software update? Or is that just a coincidence?

maryrachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Beetroot
Update on this. I downloaded the app on my husbands phone and it worked fine so I have now deleted the app and reinstalled. I didn't want to do this as it removes all the data and now the NHS probably wont continue to support it but I had no choice. It now seems to be working fine. Sensitivity on the app is back to normal and scans work first time with the beep.
Crisgood - to delete the app you press and hold until a list of options appear including "remove App". Select this and select "Delete App" then you can just reinstall it.

rayhigginson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What’s the NFC? I’ve had the Libre for a couple of years, but recently it isn’t working properly with my phone. It won’t always scan, not sure what the problem is...I did contact Abbots but they seemed only concerned with replacing it. This has not worked properly with the past 3 or so units, so I think it must be my phone. I’ve spoken to Apple, they said to update my Software, done but still not working properly! Was wondering if I should take the App off and reinstall...but I don’t know how to do this! Anyone found an answer yet??

NFC stands for near field contact it’s the same tech as what’s used in contactless bank cards door fobs (ie at work) etc it’s a little like Bluetooth but you have to be a lot nearer!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update on this. I downloaded the app on my husbands phone and it worked fine so I have now deleted the app and reinstalled. I didn't want to do this as it removes all the data and now the NHS probably wont continue to support it but I had no choice. It now seems to be working fine. Sensitivity on the app is back to normal and scans work first time with the beep.
Crisgood - to delete the app you press and hold until a list of options appear including "remove App". Select this and select "Delete App" then you can just reinstall it.

Hi mary, I am NO tech expert but won't your data still be on the libreview site??? I had to register mine so that the NHS could view it at certain times and all of the data is on there as I have to download it every so often meaning I can log in at any time and view online? x

maryrachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Beetroot
Maybe? When you delete the app it says all data will be deleted?

Floviola

I am new to using a CGM and this is the first problem that I've encountered with it.
I scan my sensor using my phone, which normally works great. But when I went to check it just now, it wouldn't scan.
The first two times that I tried to scan, it said that there had been an error in scanning and to try again, but then the sensor wouldn't scan at all, no matter what angle I held my phone or arm at.
I'm not sure how this could have happened as I scanned just an hour and a half ago and everything was working normally then, and I haven't done anything fishy with my phone since then.
I've tried restarting the app on my phone, turning my phone off and on again. Nothing seems to be working.
Any help to this would be greatly appreciated!
IF YOU FIND IT WILL NOT READ GO INTO YOUR SETTINGS HIT ONTO CONNECTIONS HIT ONTO THE NFC TO SHUT IT OFF COUNT TO 10 TURN IT BACK ON IT SHOULD READ THEN

Floviola

I had this issue this morning thought I would try settings went into connection hit onto nfc to shut it off count to 10 turned it back on tried to scan again it worked

Floviola

I use both the reader and phone for my Libre readings , last week I had nearly the same situation . One minute all ok next minute failed .i phoned abbot after a few checks they did via instruction over the phone they renewed my sensor and it came within 2 days. I’ve had a few sensors fail to read and Abbot have always replaced them, I’m not self funding I get mine on prescription.

Floviola

Abbott is the best company to deal with at Christmas I had 2 sensors fail. Called Abbott they talked me through the issues then decided both were malfunction sent me out 2 to replace them they arrived in less then a week

alirobbo3236

If your sensor is not working after numerous messages then it is faulty and you need to replace it.
I made the mistake of deleting the app last night and have lost all of the data that was saved it on it. I would recommend NOT doing that.