B12 and metformin

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Anyone on metformin and take b12 supplement?

Would like to know if you take it everyday or once a week.

Thanks.

the-mental-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to be injected with b12 every 3 months as I do not absorb it properly so tablets would not help for me.

I think with this it's going to be one of those things where everyone is different so you might have a lot of different answers

If you take the supplements and still have problems you might want to check if you need the jabs...I hope not because I hate them

Reactions: oldgreymare

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to be injected with b12 every 3 months as I do not absorb it properly so tablets would not help for me.

I think with this it's going to be one of those things where everyone is different so you might have a lot of different answers

If you take the supplements and still have problems you might want to check if you need the jabs...I hope not because I hate them

I only take them because i am on high dose of metformin,i probably don't need to take them but based on that information is why i included them ti my supplements.

Hotpepper20000

The only reasons to take supplements in my opinion is if blood tests have shown you are low.
Yes low B12 can be a side effect of metformin but the only way to know is to get tested.
On other threads you have posted what you eat. I would suggest you look at that before supplementing.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
According to the current instructions in packets of Metformin all users should be given routine B12 testing. I wouldn't take a supplement unless I knew that I was deficient. When I did take Metformin my B12 levels plummeted and I did supplement.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to the current instructions in packets of Metformin all users should be given routine B12 testing. I wouldn't take a supplement unless I knew that I was deficient. When I did take Metformin my B12 levels plummeted and I did supplement.

I have only been tested probably once i cant remember my results but i take 1 b12 pill with my other medications but if not needed then i will stop.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only been tested probably once i cant remember my results but i take 1 b12 pill with my other medications but if not needed then i will stop.
My annual test does a blood work up checking liver and b12 amongst other stuff, assume due to the metformin issue and when I was on 2000 was told my folate was low so supplemented. Not sure if my reduced meds will impact, assume it might

so thought anyone prescribed metformin had it checked as a matter of course?

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My annual test does a blood work up checking liver and b12 amongst other stuff, assume due to the metformin issue and when I was on 2000 was told my folate was low so supplemented. Not sure if my reduced meds will impact, assume it might

so thought anyone prescribed metformin had it checked as a matter of course?

I will have a look at my results my dr only checked my b12 because i asked to have it checked

Reactions: jjraak

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I will have a look at my results my dr only checked my b12 because i asked to have it checked
Well it’s possible it’s a postcode lottery thing of course
My annual review is due soon I suspect as it’s near birthday usually, will have to see if they are doing full blood works

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well it’s possible it’s a postcode lottery thing of course
My annual review is due soon I suspect as it’s near birthday usually, will have to see if they are doing full blood works

I get my vitamin D checked every 3 months though because i am deficient in vitamin D. But when my b12 results come back i will know if i should continue my b12 supplement.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another who read up and got concerned.
Had to ask for it to be tested, so nope not automatic where I am.

Came back in the lower third, so started taking supplements.
Sublingual is reportedly the best method (tablet under tongue)
The injections required sound nasty, and potentially life long.

Not applicable to all I suppose, but worth checking out to be sure.
I take met & b12 daily, and since covid not had a test yet so can't confirm any improvement.

I did some research as you do, and came up with the one or two links below in my signature.

For those curious it presents in a few other symptoms/illnesses.
The video about sally patchok, not Oscar winning, but informative.

M

Member529656

I was told 6 months ago that I was slightly anaemic. Tests were done. My metformin was reduced from 3 x 850 mg to 2 x 1000 mg daily. Then I was given vit b12 injection. It was only this week (vit b12 time again !) That pernicious anaemia was mentioned. Probably caused by high level metformin for 12 years? Take control and question every thing.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I always have to ask to have my B12 levels tested. While I was on Metformin I routinely used a B12 spray as a supplement as absorption through the membranes in the mouth is often greater than in the gut. As I steadily reduced the Metformin dosage down to zero my B12 level steadily increased back to medium high. It became very low when I was first prescribed 2000mg Metformin per day.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was advised to take a supplement for B1 and the one I found is a dietary yeast supplement which also contains B12. Although I am on Metformin, and have been for a good number of years, I haven't been diagnosed as B12 deficient. But I don't suppose it will do me any harm.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always have to ask to have my B12 levels tested. While I was on Metformin I routinely used a B12 spray as a supplement as absorption through the membranes in the mouth is often greater than in the gut. As I steadily reduced the Metformin dosage down to zero my B12 level steadily increased back to medium high. It became very low when I was first prescribed 2000mg Metformin per day.

That's what i am taking 2000mg a day. My results will be with me soon i will post on here. I do eat plenty of eggs so im hoping it comes back normal.

MauzaM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi,

Thanks.
I get a B12 injection every ten weeks and by the time I’m getting to around six weeks in I experience all the side effects of B12 deficiency. I recently started taking a tablet each day because I suffered nasal haemorrhaging for around seven days just before Christmas, and this made me feel really unwell. Taking B12 and VitD are helping in my recovery.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Sublingual methylcobalamin is supposed to be the best.

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Hi,

Thanks.
Yes I do. I was prescribed it a couple of years ago after 23 years on Metformin. I started with a high dose but as my B12 increased we dropped the dose ending up taking one every three days. It's mostly fine now but occasionally I do need to take it for a few months to top up. No side effects luckily but always seems strange to take a table to counteract the effects of another tablet.