Back to basics

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hy everyone. I've not posted or read on here for awhile but just felt the urge to write down recent events and feelings.
Was diagnosed April2020 T2. Got great help from here and really threw myself into low carb and getting my H1AC1 down from 121.
Had really poor help from surgery and different advice from different Diabetic nurses. In all intents and purpose been left to deal with it on own. Was testing at home and learnt through trial and error what i could and could not tolerate. On 4 Sukkarto per day with only the odd day of stomach upset so settled down in that respect. Had 2 x 3 month tests and last one in September was 52 which whilst pleasing disappointed me as my readings suggested lower.. Fell off the wagon a bit and few bad habits crept back in. Think I'd lost "The Fear" i felt upon diagnosis. The surgery incompetence came to a head and i changed GP. Have a face to face appointment this Wednesday with Diabetic nurse but the difference in attitude just from speaking over the phone has given me the boot up the rear i needed. My readings are still between 7 and 8 upon waking but generally between 5 and 7 during the day. I know i have cut corners so its knuckle down time. Will post as get more info. Just wondering if others had similar lapses and have advice please.

Reactions: PiersAaron

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best of luck. I hope your new GP is more helpful to you, but even if not, you can still do this.

Reactions: Craigmartin

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. Think the battle now is mindset. I read the newly diagnosed threads and remember how scared I was last April. Not been a year yet but like i said i now just carry on as T2 is the new normal. Chuck in Covid and it's been a strange year.
Always struggled with weight and lost large chunks then piled back on many times. The weight loss has stopped as I am now just treading water. Not put back on but like Bluetit said I know what to do. It's just being strong enough to make it stick again

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Craigmartin

I think every single one of us on here has periods where things are harder to manage/stick with and as you say it’s the mindset that’s important. Rather than looking back to the fear that motivated you at the start, maybe looking at the positives and benefits you felt from your initial success would be a better longer term driver.

As someone who has also struggled with weight since mid-teens, it is difficult as there are underlying issues, which can creep back at any time and the stresses of the past (and now as we move into 2021) mean they’re more likely to re-emerge.

The fact that you’re back posting here suggests you’re ready to go again.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Craigmartin

I think every single one of us on here has periods where things are harder to manage/stick with and as you say it’s the mindset that’s important. Rather than looking back to the fear that motivated you at the start, maybe looking at the positives and benefits you felt from your initial success would be a better longer term driver.

As someone who has also struggled with weight since mid-teens, it is difficult as there are underlying issues, which can creep back at any time and the stresses of the past (and now as we move into 2021) mean they’re more likely to re-emerge.

The fact that you’re back posting here suggests you’re ready to go again.

Yes. I do seem to have had that moment something clicked and am back on track. Thankfully i dont seem to have done much damage but will know more upon next blood results.

Reactions: Goonergal

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my appointment with new practice Diabetic Nurse. Felt it was fairly positive and she took bloods so will wait to see if ive got down into the 40ish range as my readings suggest? Blood pressure was high and that has never been an issue before but possible long hours and few issues recently as im sure many have at present contributed plus new surgery and bit apprehensive etc. Went down on second check but said will recheck upon next visit

Reactions: bulkbiker

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an aside. I had fasted all day and did a test at home and was 7.0 at 1400 before appointment. Was expecting that to be much lower tbh. Got home after work and ate spaghetti bolognese (home made and lots of meat and veg and small amount of spaghetti. 2 coffees and an apple) tested 2 hour after and 7.4 which was a nice surprise. Tested again just now and 7.0 again.Generally seeing 5s and 6s during day.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You know what you have to do if you really want to change things - good luck!

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a phone call from surgery. My H1 static at 52 but cholesterol at 5.7 from 5 4 and recommended statins. I refused. Basically told him i d been pretty lax this last 3 or 4 month re diet and excersise and confident i can improve them. It was 5.7 last April when all this started but was 5.4 upon last check in late September. I'm disappointed with both numbers but it shows you cant cut corners.
I dont test as much myself now as know what i can and cant tolerate but haven't seen 8s in months.(other than 7 and 8s first thing) 6 4 yesterday even after main meal? Haven't got the details of the results yet so dont know the make up of the trigs etc but will post that when i have it. I know some understand those on here. At end of call again pushed Statins and said over 5 cholesterol for diabetes was big concern?

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a similar conversation about cholesterol recently - even though for me there are indications that I would live longer with the higher level of cholesterol.
I refused medication as it had such a dreadful effect on me when I took them at diagnosis.
I have not seen any information about positive outcomes from taking statins.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a similar conversation about cholesterol recently - even though for me there are indications that I would live longer with the higher level of cholesterol.
I refused medication as it had such a dreadful effect on me when I took them at diagnosis.
I have not seen any information about positive outcomes from taking statins.

I did actually say that Statins would push my numbers up but his reply was "Who told you that" "I'd like to see the medical dictionary that's stated in". This was the Doctor rather than the nurse i saw on Wednesday. So new practice same routine.
Working on principle that healthy eating, excersise and the resultant weight loss will go a long way to sorting things?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Surgeries are paid for each patient that they prescribe statins to! I would be very happy if my cholesterol was 5.7.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When it comes to Cholesterol the "headline" figure is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. You need the LDL, HDL triglyceride split, and even then there is some debate @bulkbiker is our resident expert his done loads of research (I'm sure that there's a thread on here)

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok. I've had the appointment to discuss the results and this is the breakdown of the cholesterol.
Overall 5.7.
HDL 1
LDL 3.9
Non HDL 4.7
Trigs 1.7.
Pushed statins on me which i again refused. Blood pressure was 140/92 so are saying in need rampiril now. Going back in 2 week for 3rd pressure test. The nurse was better than others id seen and accepted the NHS food plate thing was not fit for Diabetics. So am i right in not accepting the statins etc and are the blood pressure tabs needed plz?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok. I've had the appointment to discuss the results and this is the breakdown of the cholesterol.
Overall 5.7.
HDL 1
LDL 3.9
Non HDL 4.7
Trigs 1.7.
Pushed statins on me which i again refused. Blood pressure was 140/92 so are saying in need rampiril now. Going back in 2 week for 3rd pressure test. The nurse was better than others id seen and accepted the NHS food plate thing was not fit for Diabetics. So am i right in not accepting the statins etc and are the blood pressure tabs needed plz?

Few more details required..
Are you still losing weight or trying to?
How long had you fated before the blood was taken.. if you hadn't what did you eat before the blood draw?

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Few more details required..
Are you still losing weight or trying to?
How long had you fated before the blood was taken.. if you hadn't what did you eat before the blood draw?

Hi..The results from September
Overall 5.4
Hdl 0.9
Ldl3 4
Hdl ratio 6.0
Trig 2.
Since then I cut a few corners diet and excersise. Put bout 8lbs back on but over last month gone back to low carb and it's coming off again. Hit a patch were i fell off the wagon mainly due to stress from work and general situation we all are in. Head back in the right place now so hopefully will lose weight as approach spring etc.. They didn't tell me to fast but i did. Was at 1430pm and hadn't eaten since night before.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So Trigs down. HDL up slightly.ldl up. Overall up . The difference being I was very strict on diet and excersise from diagnosis to those Sept results. Iv not been anywhere near as keen over Autumn/winter which brought me to start this thread. I have always slipped into bad habits easily and constantly need to motivate myself into the good habits instead

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So Trigs down. HDL up slightly
Which are the two you need to worry about and both are going in the right direction..
Total is pretty meaningless.. in your shoes I'd wait until my next HbA1c/Lipid test and see what has happened. Hopefully by then you'll be at your target weight.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Which are the two you need to worry about and both are going in the right direction..
Total is pretty meaningless.. in your shoes I'd wait until my next HbA1c/Lipid test and see what has happened. Hopefully by then you'll be at your target weight.

Thanks. Feeling pretty high strung at mo and these worries over the blood pressure etc arent helping. I know everyone is finding things tough after a year of Covid so being diagnosed T2 was made worse.
Just seem to have let things get on top of me a bit. Tiredness and stress made worse by eating poorly and less excersise.added to longer work hours . The good news is thyroid liver and kidneys all tip top plus feet and eyes good.