Dare to dream?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen this come by in multiple Fb groups, and I'm camp seeing is believing.
So far, all technologies claiming reading bg through anything except access to the inside of the body have failed. But, if this works I'm the first to applaud this and want it!

Reactions: urbanracer

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The cynic in me thinks "if this tech works, it could nail the coffin on the disposable stuff like strips & sensors. Which keeps a recurring customer base?"

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Apple mentioned in the article were collaborating with Dexcom?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Apple mentioned in the article were collaborating with Dexcom?

I thought apple were working with dexcom to allow their watch to connect to the dexcom transmitter directly, rather than via a phone....

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I thought apple were working with dexcom to allow their watch to connect to the dexcom transmitter directly, rather than via a phone....

They've (Apple) also been working on their own ideas for a while, as you can see from this 2018 patent report.
https://appleinsider-com.cdn.amppro...-work-on-non-invasive-glucose-monitoring-tech

Not sure what the relationship is between Apple and Samsung these days but not overly surprising that Samsung are trying to do something similar.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Yeah, that's precisely the "fanfare" i've been hearing from Dexcom regarding connectivity with the G6?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Yeah, that's precisely the "fanfare" i've been hearing from Dexcom regarding connectivity with the G6?

Maybe with the G7? And, funnily enough, though my G6 works with a samsung phone, apparently I can't link it to a samsung watch because samsung have the wrong OS on their watches.... (Have been failing to find a watch available in NZ under GBP 500 (NZD$1000) that I can use with my dexcom... Actually, I just want bgs and time on the watch face, so don't really want to spend more than NZ$500 ish. Am starting to consider making my next phone an apple.)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe with the G7? And, funnily enough, though my G6 works with a samsung phone, apparently I can't link it to a samsung watch because samsung have the wrong OS on their watches.... (Have been failing to find a watch available in NZ under GBP 500 (NZD$1000) that I can use with my dexcom... Actually, I just want bgs and time on the watch face, so don't really want to spend more than NZ$500 ish. Am starting to consider making my next phone an apple.)

I have a Galaxy note 4 i acquired in good nick, used. & pretty impressed with the performance.
I see no point in paying big bucks for something i can easily drop.
The stand alone watch i have transmitting to the phone. is just that. a time piece & receives my BG in one non-chunky package.
Problem is with my watch when the L2 takes over. I'm happy with the L1 & pretty confident i can get the xDrip app to pick it up. I may have to continue with the MM2 as a bridge for the watch because there is a strong possibility the watch's firmware won't pick up the bluetooth algorithm from the L2.

These all in one jobs in the offing? This next gen?? If proven to work, i would splash out on one could save me a fortune in sensors on the long run...

Reactions: EllieM

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've seen this come by in multiple Fb groups, and I'm camp seeing is believing.
So far, all technologies claiming reading bg through anything except access to the inside of the body have failed. But, if this works I'm the first to applaud this and want it!

This might be of interest: https://www.diamontech.de/home

It's seem a non-invasive desktop device is already up and working (for use in surgeries). Based on the news releases, they have applied for FDA approval in September 2020. They are now working on miniaturizing the technology (for everyday use by people with diabetes). Looks promising imo.

Reactions: DJC3 and Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It's seem a non-invasive desktop device is already up and working (for use in surgeries). Based on the news releases, they have applied for FDA approval in September 2020. They are now working on miniaturizing the technology (for everyday use by people with diabetes). Looks promising imo.

Hi,

I saw a YouTube interview a while back with a representitive from this company at what looked like a "trade fair?"
I'll try & dig out the link it was a while back.
From memory, if approved they where looking at some kind of rental/lease hire package for private users..

Reactions: EllieM and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I saw a YouTube interview a while back with a representitive from this company at what looked like a "trade fair?"
I'll try & dig out the link it was a while back.
From memory, if approved they where looking at some kind of rental/lease hire package for private users..

Thanks, @Jaylee. The price point would be really interesting. Even if high initially, hope it will come down eventually.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, @Jaylee. The price point would be really interesting. Even if high initially, hope it will come down eventually.

From memory, the company had developed the "shoebox" version. (More for use in hospitals.)
They where working on something in a smaller more portable package & then a phone. Or possibly a phone & something the size of a flash drive..?

Edit; i realy have to find the link. They had the 3 concepts & a ballpark date for when developed?

Reactions: ziggy_w

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone followed up on this?

https://www.pkvitality.com/ktrack-glucose/
upload_2021-1-27_16-9-36.png

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Promising indeed, and I'll be happy to use any new technology making diabetes management easier!
From their website:
"The D-Pocket is currently in development and it will be available to purchase once clinical trials are completed."
So again, seeing is believing. I don't actively follow research on things which aren't available yet, as in the past there have been so many promising researches and devices not making it to the market in the end. I'm pretty sure once a useful new technology becomes available it will be all over the forum and in various facebook groups so I'll be informed when it becomes relevant to me :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with you, @Antje77 -- the device that will be a game changer, the D-Pocket, is still under development and no specific date given.

The larger device (the shoe box mentioned by @Jaylee) however has already gone through clinical trials and the data have been published. If I understand the data correctly, the reliability is similar to that of the libre. https://www.diamontech.de/pressemel...ults-on-non-invasive-blood-glucose-monitoring . So, this might be a proof of concept that non-invasive blood sugar monitoring works. (So, now we just just need to wait until the technology has been miniaturized, has gone through the various hoops to get approved, and becomes affordable -- which still even optimistically may still be as far as two years off).

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with you, @Antje77 -- the device that will be a game changer, the D-Pocket, is still under development and no specific date given.

The larger device (the shoe box mentioned by @Jaylee) however has already gone through clinical trials and the data have been published. If I understand the data correctly, the reliability is similar to that of the libre. https://www.diamontech.de/pressemel...ults-on-non-invasive-blood-glucose-monitoring . So, this might be a proof of concept that non-invasive blood sugar monitoring works. (So, now we just just need to wait until the technology has been miniaturized, has gone through the various hoops to get approved, and becomes affordable -- which still even optimistically may still be as far as two years off).

Brilliant, you found it. :)

I remember now. Lol, shoe box, phone, watch. (Not a flash drive.)
https://www.diamontech.de/home#technology

Edit; found the video i was talking about that got me googling the company. (it is a couple of years old.)

Last edited:

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use xDrip+ rather than the Dexcom App. It can send readings to a number of watches. I use a Xiaomi Miband 4 which cost about £26. Works beautifully.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
These all in one jobs in the offing? This next gen?? If proven to work, i would splash out on one could save me a fortune in sensors on the long run...

I saw the DIAM Tech video, it is suggesting in their video that their buisiness model would likely be to lease even the personal device, for £100 (Euros/dollars) per month rather than selling it to you. I'm sure they are looking at the price points carefully and you wouldn't save much. Just a massive reduction in the faff factor.

The watches might be a better bet for money saving - can't imagine those being anything other than direct purchase.

I've signed up for the newsletter now and offered to take part in the beta test of the PKVitality watch although I'm not sure how all those sensors on the back wouldn't irritate your wrist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have also signed up for imformation but I think it would not be any good for me unless it worked with my pump and I cannot see that happening but who knows,