How long have you had T1

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just seeing how long people have had T1 diabetes for, I read up it can take 10 years off your life, irrespective of what age you got it - whether you were 5 or 35. So if the average age of a man to die is 76, you recon 66 is about your life expectancy

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Life expectancy is based on historic data.
So, someone diagnosed 40 years ago had no access to home testing, let alone CGMs, no access to fast acting insulin, no access to insulin pumps, etc. As a result, it was incredibly difficult to maintain blood sugars in range ... or even know if they were in range.
Therefore, I pay no attention to average life expectancy statistics for people with T1.
Instead, I am inspired by those celebrating 50, 60, 70 year diaversaries. If they can do it with most of their lives without current diabetes treatment, I am confident, if I use the technology I have now and in the future, diabetes is not what will kill me.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take it you are a glass half empty type @Topher. Personally I’m a glass half full kind of girl. As I have paid far more attention to my diet and physical health in the last 7 years, I am expecting to live 10 years longer. No matter what the scientists say.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had it two and a half years and I too don't believe in life-expectancy numbers at all. A type one may not even die from a diabetes related cause at all.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just seeing how long people have had T1 diabetes for, I read up it can take 10 years off your life, irrespective of what age you got it - whether you were 5 or 35. So if the average age of a man to die is 76, you recon 66 is about your life expectancy
I'm still here, at least I think I am, I have had type 1 for 52 years now, I was 15 when I became a diabetic

Last edited:
Reactions: jazzyone and mooshk

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Diagnosed T1 40 years ago and like previously stated no blood sugar testing etc etc , even when there was I didn’t so how I’ve reached 40 years is a miracle , but now I’m so much better ! Tech these days makes it so simple ! Well a lot easier than it was .
I believe in the future 50/ 60 years with T 1 will be common ,

Reactions: LucySW

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m 26, originally diagnosed when I was 14. Throughout my teens & my early twenties my control was poor. I would say only really now I’m starting to seriously take control of my type 1. When/if I reach 66 I will of been diabetic 52 year. I’ve lost a lot of weight, I go to the gym 6 days a week. I eat 1500 calories of healthy food per day (not including a Saturday night). If I don’t reach 66 or die at around that age I’ll happily die knowing I tried my hardest to live a happy healthy life, if it’s diabetes related that does kill me well there’s not much I can do about it.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Let’s be honest who can really challenge life expectancy numbers ? Who knows ? Living your best life will afford you the best outcomes - ignore the stats.

Reactions: karen8967

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

i was diagnosed at the age of 8. (My 8th birthday to be precise.)
At the age of 10, we had a "student nurse" lodging with us.
No internet then. (Didn't even have a meter.)

I kinda broke into her room to read her course books whilst she was out clubbing one night. I read that too.

My story is true.

......But i have no idea where the one in the book came from... ;)

Reactions: oldgreymare

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Oh I forgot to add to my post apparently drinking red wine , drinking beer , not drinking beer, not drinking wine , burgers , red meat , blue meat , fried eggs , err too much sex , not enough sex , too many sweets , smoking dope ! Not smoking dope err jogging , not jogging , all reduce your life expectancy so I’m wondering how I lived past my teens but still here, for how long well that is the eternal question ! Bit like why do you need more than one bag for life , diabetes may reduce your life expectancy so probably a good reason to fill it with as much as you can
Sorry if I’ve rabbitted on but I’ve had one bottle of San Miguel oops that’s 5 mins off lol

Reactions: Technician87

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No one bottle won't, it will relax you and stop you having a heart attack so could increase your life by 30 years

Goma5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Three years, diagnosed at 33. heart conditions run in my family, so having diabetes and taking control of my diet and having closer monitoring of health in general has probably added 10 years to my life! Hopefully!

Also agree that the stats for life expectancy must be based on historical data. Looking forwards, with tech improving the future has to be bright!

duckegg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Life expectancy is based on historic data.
So, someone diagnosed 40 years ago had no access to home testing, let alone CGMs, no access to fast acting insulin, no access to insulin pumps, etc. As a result, it was incredibly difficult to maintain blood sugars in range ... or even know if they were in range.
Therefore, I pay no attention to average life expectancy statistics for people with T1.
Instead, I am inspired by those celebrating 50, 60, 70 year diaversaries. If they can do it with most of their lives without current diabetes treatment, I am confident, if I use the technology I have now and in the future, diabetes is not what will kill me.

cp1943

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

cp1943

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 for 60 years this year. I was diagnosed at a time when there were no pens, no pumps, no really pure insulins, no blood sugar meters, just glass syringes that had to be sterilised. I'm still here and hoping to avoid covid.

Reactions: jazzyone
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
social media but trying
Type 1 for 57 years.

Gave up on glass syringe 3 years ago after hospital tried to kill me!

I am told that life expectancy figures are different depending if you were diagnosed before or after 1965.

Plenty of over 50 and 60 now. Even 80 years. The diabetes UK charity had to set up a new medal for him. They do medals for being on insulin 50,60,70 and now 80 years

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
42 years. This spring will add another.

Diabetes has become easier with understanding and technology. We have come a very long way.

Last edited: