- Which country are you from? Uk
- Which city/area do you live in? Hertfordshire
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. A mixed bag
- Do you have any pets? No
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft for work and Apple for everything else
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Cycling and running
- Do you get angry easily? No. Very calm
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Nope. Although I’m looking
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. The pixies, Interpol, fleetwood Mac, David Bowie, Julian cope
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? I die rock/alternative
- What is your favourite flag? New Zealand
- Ever gone camping? Many times
- Ever been in love? Yup
- Ever used fake tan? Nope
- Which countries have you visited? Too many to count
- Favourite city? Reykjavik
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
- List your five favourite films.
- Are you wealthy?
- Do you work? If so, as what? IT. Solution architect
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Physics, philosophy
- What do you like most about yourself? Calm and level headed, and open
- What do you like least about yourself?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m David and was diagnosed with type 2 yesterday. Have been reading through these forums and my blood glucose seems to be much higher than everyone else on here. Fasting is 12 nmol and around lunchtime before eating I’m getting a reading of about 25 - 27. I’m on metformin (one at the minute and ramping up) and 1 glickazide before breakfast and one before dinner. Hoping the numbers start dropping soon.
Hi @Davecuk , and welcome to the forum!
Numbers on diagnosis tend to be higher than numbers for people who have got the hang of adjusting medication and/or diet!
However, may I ask, are those 25-27 mmol/l numbers still fasting or are they after having a breakfast of some kind?

Davecuk

Hi, thanks for replying, my fasting numbers are 10-12. 25-27 is about 2 1/2 hours after breakfast. I’ve only been doing this for two days though and so I am hoping those numbers drop soon.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, thanks for replying, my fasting numbers are 10-12. 25-27 is about 2 1/2 hours after breakfast. I’ve only been doing this for two days though and so I am hoping those numbers drop soon.
This looks like your breakfast doesn't agree with your diabetes. All carbs are converted to sugar in your body. Many members on here choose to eat fewer carbs to prevent those blood glucose spikes from happening.
Here's a link to an informative thread on how this works, it may be very useful to you!
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Dia_bee_tes

This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
- Which country are you from?
- Which city/area do you live in?
- Are you religious?
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
- Do you get angry easily?
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
- What is your favourite flag?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Which countries have you visited?
- Favourite city?
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
- List your five favourite films.
- Are you wealthy?
- Do you work? If so, as what?
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
- What do you like most about yourself?
- What do you like least about yourself?

Have fun!

Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Jade
- How old are you? 34
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? Ireland
- Which city/area do you live in? North of Ireland
- Are you religious? Spiritual maybe
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Loyal, compassionate, friendly
- Do you have any pets? Yes
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Ha’ used to be an athlete a long time ago!
- Do you get angry easily? No
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Yes multiple locations
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Bon Jovi, Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood, Evanescence, Skillet
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Country
- What is your favourite flag? My own
- Ever gone camping? Yep
- Ever been in love? Haven’t we all
- Ever used fake tan? No I like being a milk bottle
- Which countries have you visited? America, Italy, Spain, England, Scotland, Ireland
- Favourite city? Las Vegas
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Greys, CSI, Person of Interest, True Blood, Vikings
- List your five favourite films. Beauty and the beast, Lion King, Warrior, 300, Underworld
- Are you wealthy? If I am I haven’t realised
- Do you work? If so, as what? Can’t currently
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Business, Law, Autism, ADD, Health
- What do you like most about yourself? My loyalty
- What do you like least about yourself? My loyalty

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
- How old are you? 34
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Ha’ used to be an athlete a long time ago!
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Bon Jovi, Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood, Evanescence, Skillet
- Ever gone camping? Yep
- Which countries have you visited? America, Italy, Spain, England, Scotland, Ireland
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Greys, CSI, Person of Interest, True Blood, Vikings
- List your five favourite films. Beauty and the beast, Lion King, Warrior, 300, Underworld

Welcome!

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
- How old are you? 34
- Ever gone camping? Yep

Hi Jade,

I'm very new myself but really love this site, the folks here. You cracked me up on the Wealthy question ;) Country is one of my fave genres as well. Do you like Sam Hunt, and Kane Brown? Love both of them and more of course. I also think George Strait is tops.

Always wanted to see Ireland, finally got to, on the internet ;( Oh well, I never know what's ahead for me, maybe one day;)
purple butterfly.gif

Luvly

Hi all. I'm Liz. I'm from England, but I live in Scotland.
I was diagnosed with type 2 Today, after being pre-diabetic. Today I was also prescribed Metfomin.
I have several other ailments etc which make me high risk.
So I'd really, really like some help to get through this.
At the moment I'm feeling quite frighted and overwhelmed with all what's going on with my body.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was diagnosed with type 2 Today, after being pre-diabetic. Today I was also prescribed Metfomin.
At the moment I'm feeling quite frighted and overwhelmed with all what's going on with my body.
Hi Liz, I so hear you, I just arrived I think, 2 days ago. I'm so glad we both found the site, it's priceless what I am learning here. I was afraid too, and still am but what a relief to hear hope and see a light at the end of the tunnel. I will leave directions to others that have gone before me ;) I just know you are in a great place, Denise

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Denise,
Hopefully we'll all get through this.
It's really difficult what with all the added sugars in even basic foods.
Yes, and some is hidden from us or the labels are so tiny. I'm trying to go with just fresh or frozen vegies (I roast them in the oven and they are way good that way) and meats/fish (mostly fish if possible to get it). We'll make it, and I sure am glad we both found this forum. So many have succeeded with their foods and even been able to stop the meds which wreak havoc on my digestive system.

Good to meet you Liz, I'll be around and hope to see you too ;) Denise

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi and welcome!

Would suggest you start a thread of your own to get answers to your questions and a bit more help. This is a great place for support, so don’t be shy!

Dia_bee_tes

Hi Jade,

I'm very new myself but really love this site, the folks here. You cracked me up on the Wealthy question ;) Country is one of my fave genres as well. Do you like Sam Hunt, and Kane Brown? Love both of them and more of course. I also think George Strait is tops.

Always wanted to see Ireland, finally got to, on the internet ;( Oh well, I never know what's ahead for me, maybe one day;)
View attachment 47408

Thank you, I am that new I haven’t a clue how to navigate yet, or add anything remotely cute as the Butterfly. Ireland isn’t what it’s cracked up to be but it is beautiful. We have free health care (in the sense we pay for it out of our wages as a tax each month) (This is NI) but yet we still struggle to get the care we need with extremely long wait lists.

I have been type 2 for two years, but my practise nurse made me question everything and was horrible so it took two long years of fighting to be allowed a second opinion.

I am away to look up these country artists as I haven’t heard of them before, or I don’t know their names. I am terrible with remembering who sings what :joyful:

Where are you from?

I have multiple issues with my endocrine area : Endometriosis, PCOS, Hashimotos Thyroiditis on top of severe anxiety, asthma and allergies.. think I was the broken mould accidentally used o_O.

Hoping to meet lots of new people here, I don’t do silicone valley so avoid FB, IG, Twitter & Google. I live with an IT Security worker so :wideyed::joyful:

Luvly

Yes, and some is hidden from us or the labels are so tiny. I'm trying to go with just fresh or frozen vegies (I roast them in the oven and they are way good that way) and meats/fish (mostly fish if possible to get it). We'll make it, and I sure am glad we both found this forum. So many have succeeded with their foods and even been able to stop the meds which wreak havoc on my digestive system.

Good to meet you Liz, I'll be around and hope to see you too ;) Denise
Good afternoon Denise, nice too meet you too. I've sooo much to lean.
I'll collect my meds today from the chemist. It'll be the first time taking Metformin or any kind of diabetes meds.
I have to drastically change my eating habits as well as try to lose half my body weight. So this will be a very long journey for me.

Luvly

- How old are you? 34
- Ever gone camping? Yep
Hi Jade. Did you write this list of questions? If not, where can I find it please x

Luvly

Hi and welcome!

Would suggest you start a thread of your own to get answers to your questions and a bit more help. This is a great place for support, so don’t be shy!
I'm not sure where or how to start a new thread. Soz, still learning. x

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure where or how to start a new thread. Soz, still learning. x

No worries. A good place might be the Type 2 sun-forum, or the Ask a question sub-forum. The type 2 forum is here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/type-2-diabetes.25/ and the Ask a Question forum is here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/ask-a-question.15/

Once in the forum you want to post in, click on the green ‘Post new thread’ button (see pic) and off you go!

There are some handy videos that explain how things work here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/forum-beginners-video-guides.51729/

DE29A670-30CB-4F2F-A830-3D2722045DDF.jpg

Luvly

No worries. A good place might be the Type 2 sun-forum, or the Ask a question sub-forum. The type 2 forum is here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/type-2-diabetes.25/ and the Ask a Question forum is here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/ask-a-question.15/

Once in the forum you want to post in, click on the green ‘Post new thread’ button (see pic) and off you go!

There are some handy videos that explain how things work here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/forum-beginners-video-guides.51729/

View attachment 47437

View attachment 47437
Ah, Thank you very, very much

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good afternoon Denise, nice too meet you too. I've sooo much to lean.
I'll collect my meds today from the chemist. It'll be the first time taking Metformin or any kind of diabetes meds.
I have to drastically change my eating habits as well as try to lose half my body weight. So this will be a very long journey for me.
Yes, do start a thread Liz! You'll get lots of individual help that way. I look forward to getting to know you and hope I can be of help too. I'm still learning myself but be glad to share, Denise