Just been told to shield

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Found some interesting lists. These show the approximate weighting attributed to each factor which might go some way to explaining surprising results

9AB469E3-8C05-42B8-AA5E-17F8A8308BA5.png
2F2F0F39-992C-455E-9D6A-F63BEDC2AA11.png
25523897-4B32-4FA7-A5C1-E6424F1329F3.png

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And this one basically says any gestational diabetes history is treated the same as current type 2 :( which i for one find surprising

D1DF5544-33B7-4E94-9903-D1E64F83C7AE.png

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My risk group was 37/100 but I've been told to shield.

I found that the threshold recommended for shielding is

>0.5% for absolute risk
>10 for relative risk

My absolute risk was 0.0014% as I'm only 21 but my relative risk compared to people the same age and sex was 14 so even though I have a very low absolute risk I've still been told to shield so think they're been over cautious and take it with a pinch of salt.

Ultimately I think the risk group has little relevance its more to do with your risk results. I also found that location is a key factor and so is ethnicity. Both factors for me raised my relative risk by 4 each and near enough doubled my relative risk compared to if my only risk factor was t1 diabetes.

Hope this helps!
Screenshot_20210219-170316_Chrome.jpg

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No idea. It doesn’t make sense. Someone said perhaps because a diagnosed diabetic is usually aware of their condition and attempting to control their condition, whereas after gestational there could be women going about daily life with undiagnosed diabetes and unruly glucose, none the wiser.

I doubt VERY much whether that level of depth entered into the equation! x

Doireallyneedanams

And this one basically says any gestational diabetes history is treated the same as current type 2 :( which i for one find surprising

View attachment 47585

I read that differently. I think it’s because they are aware of the risks after GD, yet many don’t have follow ups and are undiagnosed diabetics. This, coupled with another risk factor would probably push you over the edge here and get you sent a letter. Much like many diabetics have too, it seems.

MarkHaZ123

I have some background retinopathy, on the basis of your age and only diabetes on the scoring, if you have to shield then so should pretty much every diabetic in the country, yet many/most haven't. your stomach issues aren't part of that scoring. Unless you live in a really bad place, I score worse than you in the order of 20 points

Seriously not sure if I should be concerned I haven't had a letter or happy. Looks like they did a random generator!
Strange isn't it. I'd never if expected to get one
Just done the score on that link above and got 62/100 so middle of the road really.

Might ring the docs on Monday and just ask them for some background on why. I need to ring them anyway for old medical records of an old surgery Iv had

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read that differently. I think it’s because they are aware of the risks after GD, yet many don’t have follow ups and are undiagnosed diabetics. This, coupled with another risk factor would probably push you over the edge here and get you sent a letter. Much like many diabetics have too, it seems.
Why are lots of prediabetics with other risk factors not being told to shield though? Haven’t seen any posts about it!
Exactly. Whilst I hear your point that past gestational women may be undiagnosed and may be at risk, those already diagnosed are definitely at greater risk rather than just potentially. Additional risk factors apply to everyone so doesn’t change the reasoning imo.

Doireallyneedanams

Exactly. Whilst I hear your point that past gestational women may be undiagnosed and may be at risk, those already diagnosed are definitely at greater risk rather than just potentially. Additional risk factors apply to everyone so doesn’t change the reasoning imo.

So why GD then and not prediabetics? My anxiety would significantly ease if I didn’t feel there was a huge piece of the puzzle missing that somehow makes me incredibly vulnerable to Covid.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So why GD then and not prediabetics? My anxiety would significantly ease if I didn’t feel there was a huge piece of the puzzle missing that somehow makes me incredibly vulnerable to Covid.
The missing piece of the puzzle is probably just some silly glitch in an algorithm, due to it having to be put together quickly.

Please don't see it as sinister. I suppose it's better for them to be overcautious by mistake. The opposite could be deadly.

It's up to you what you decide to do. I really don't think it's a case of you being in special danger personally.

Reactions: KK123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a call this afternoon asking me to book which I politely declined so maybe we are moving up the queue.. I thought I would have been Group 8 expecting contact in May.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a call this afternoon asking me to book which I politely declined so maybe we are moving up the queue.. I thought I would have been Group 8 expecting contact in May.
You have diabetes, you are group 6. Why did you think you'd be group 8?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In remission? Officially classed as such for over a year.
It's an interesting medical point I guess, we remain diabetic whether we are in remission or not. Some may not agree but if we start eating carbs it'll go back, therefore i believe we are. I may be nearly in remission too but will want to be monitored as a diabetic regardless, what has the impact on us been during any points our bloods haven't been controlled? Can we reverse all damage?

I think the answer is that according to the NHS, once diabetic, always diabetic, so group 6

Talking for type 2 here, I don't know about other types (does gestational diabetes reverse itself? But according to others, those are triggering the score system too)

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgreymare

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the answer is that according to the NHS, once diabetic, always diabetic, so group 6
I'm not sure I care that much how the NHS classify me though.
They have proven relatively ineffective in my personal remission.
Can we reverse all damage?
Looks pretty likely . my only damage was mild retinopathy which has resolved itself.
I have "passed" all diagnostic tests for T2 so... am I in remission or cured.. do I care?

Reactions: HSSS

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure I care that much how the NHS classify me though.
They have proven relatively ineffective in my personal remission.

Looks pretty likely . my only damage was mild retinopathy which has resolved itself.
I have "passed" all diagnostic tests for T2 so... am I in remission or cured.. do I care?
Well quite, you have control of your own health as do we all. I will never say I am cured, as I personally do not believe I am or can be. But that's what I need to keep me in check.

The shielding question is still unclear, the NHS is determining diabetes flag on our records is important, but very inconsistent