Diabetics added to the shielding list as of today

Max68

Now that is a very good question.. why indeed.. enjoyment is now banned in the UK.. especially Wales and Scotland.

Oh I don't know, I'm sure the Scots enjoyed watching them win at Twickenham, although not the same on the telly for sure!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just to emphasise the point.

The vaccines boost your immune system so that if you catch Covid you are more able to resist the virus and are much less likely to become severely ill.

The vaccine does not prevent you catching the virus, or from spreading it to others.
It just reduces the risk of severe illness (and possible Long Covid).

If 90% or more of the population are vaccinated (and boosted when required) then we should be able to return to life as normal.
Until then vaccinated people are a significant danger to the people not yet vaccinated.
Two vaccines does not mean party time!!!!

Reactions: UK T1 and EllieM

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Soooooo many people don't get that. Since I got back to walking after my "injury" I literally have had only one other delightful elderly couple move to the side rather than me doing it. Instead I move aside constantly for joggers, who puff their way past rarely thanking you, unless of course I don't hear them coming up behind and it's the same with all others. Never in my life have I crossed the road so much!! It really is with many people a case of "I'm Alright Jack!". In some areas the pandemic has brought out the best in many people but also the very worst in others.
Sorry you haven't had the same experience I have had. Only yesterday I was chatting to friends and we all commented on how peculiar it is that the new and accepted 'polite norm' is to turn your back and move away from people!

We've not been out to busy places, usually open walks, but have been pleasantly surprised by others I've met, sorry it hasn't been the same for you.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you haven't had the same experience I have had. Only yesterday I was chatting to friends and we all commented on how peculiar it is that the new and accepted 'polite norm' is to turn your back and move away from people!

We've not been out to busy places, usually open walks, but have been pleasantly surprised by others I've met, sorry it hasn't been the same for you.
Open walks isn't too bad
Try going to a supermarket where masks apparantly make you totally immune and you don't need distance anymore...

Sigh... It is odd though, outside I have seen people almost literally jump 2 feet backwards to avoid others

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Open walks isn't too bad
Try going to a supermarket where masks apparantly make you totally immune and you don't need distance anymore...

Sigh... It is odd though, outside I have seen people almost literally jump 2 feet backwards to avoid others
Sorry I haven't been in a supermarket for almost a year - initially did the frantic refreshing of supermarket slots at midnight etc to get a huge delivery once every 10-14 days with some fresh stuff supplemented by neighbours in between, then one of the 'lucky' type 1s to be classed as CEV early on (last May/June time, consultant and GP agreed risk of exposure at work high enough eventhough I'm under 40, HbA1c under 52mmol/l for the past 10 years and no other conditions) so been on priority delivery slots since. These do run out on 31st March so guess I'll be back to the frantic refresh when slots get released again!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I haven't been in a supermarket for almost a year - initially did the frantic refreshing of supermarket slots at midnight etc to get a huge delivery once every 10-14 days with some fresh stuff supplemented by neighbours in between, then one of the 'lucky' type 1s to be classed as CEV early on (last May/June time, consultant and GP agreed risk of exposure at work high enough eventhough I'm under 40, HbA1c under 52mmol/l for the past 10 years and no other conditions) so been on priority delivery slots since. These do run out on 31st March so guess I'll be back to the frantic refresh when slots get released again!
Depending on where you live you may find that supermarkets are very different places to how they used to be.
We've been once a week throughout the "panicdemic" ... usually Tuesday morning very few people and normally as many staff as customers with most keeping a distance. Its almost quite frightening at how regimented everyone has become as well as rather sad.

Reactions: Flora123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a list of people in group 6 (clinically vulnerable people - i.e people who have underlying health problems, but haven't been told to shield). People who are shielding are in group 4, and are classed as extremely clinically vulnerable.

I agree. This group has always been in group 6, that hasn't changed. What has changed of course is that NOW other people are being asked to shield which is a totally different issue and that is what has us all puzzled, WHO is being asked to and why? x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember it takes about 3 weeks for the highest levels of immunity to develop after the second vaccine dose.

Yes, as you say a lot of research is going into how effective the vaccines are on the new variants. This will be different for each vaccine too, so it won't necessarily be a case of 'are you vaccinated or not?' but it might be that one vaccine isn't effective against a new variant but all others are (to stress - I'm suggesting a scenario, we don't yet know exactly how effective the existing vaccines are against current variants, and we don't know what other variants might emerge). They're also not sure to what extent the vaccines affect how easily the virus can be transmitted.

I had my updated shielding email which clearly says any shielding advice is advice only, not law. It is therefore your choice whether you shield if you're deemed CEV, but you must still follow the lockdown restrictions.

That's true, you are not being forced to shield BUT getting that letter has an impact on your work, it can help to enable your employers to make their decisions about people returning to work and it can influence whether you get 'sick pay' if you don't go into work because of shielding, etc. Without that letter it can be confusing and problematic for many people.

Reactions: UK T1

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's true, you are not being forced to shield BUT getting that letter has an impact on your work, it can help to enable your employers to make their decisions about people returning to work and it can influence whether you get 'sick pay' if you don't go into work because of shielding, etc. Without that letter it can be confusing and problematic for many people.
Oh completely - I feel so very fortunate to have the letter as a safety net and the extra protection via working from home. I've said plenty of times it just isn't fair that it is a GP lottery. Different workplaces have handled it so differently and I also seem very fortunate on that front, but the CEV status forces their hand on certain things.
I can safely say I haven't missed going shopping in a supermarket one bit!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lovely people.

Can we please stay within the topic of shielding lists & associated confirmation letter..

Thanks in advance. :)

Reactions: hodders

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
As a T2 on diet, exercise and Metformin I haven't had a shielding letter and I'm not sure that I want one.

My GP surgery still considers me a well managed diabetic and I'm not sure how much my risk level is raised.

I realise that many T2s may also be overweight/obese and that this is a significant risk factor which may well make them extremely vulnerable. However in my head I'm not much more vulnerable that a fit person of my own age. Which may be wrong, of course.

I am also aware that it is all about percentages, knowing of a previously fit 45 year old who recently died after prolonged Long Covid. So no average/health category is absolute.

A shielding letter won't bump me up any queues as I have already had my first jab.
I'm just not sure what other implications it might have.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm, my 90 yo T2 dad was looking forward to his second dose of vaccine. I can't honestly see the point of making 10% (or more) of the UK population shield after vaccination....

Surely no need for T2s on no meds because they've put their T2 in remission via diet to shield. Plus if I was a 20 something vaccinated T1 I'd be pretty unhappy to have to shield.
Meds or not, remission or not there are still faulty mechanisms at play, or else no need to continue low carb etc.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, I'm very concerned that the advice this local surgery is giving is inaccurate in regards to asthma! People with severe asthma are actually in group 4 according to the government, and severe asthma is defined on Asthma UK as requiring two three day, or longer, courses of steroids in a 12 month period!

It's potentially very dangerous that they have not only been downgraded two groups, but they aren't even identifying all severe asthmatics!

Sorry I know it's not diabetes related, but I thought as a severe asthmatic, as well as a type 1 diabetic, that I would have to point out my concerns!
The original post is the information that has been clarified this week about which asthmatics are classified as group 6.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m type 1, well controlled but also have coeliac and thyroid disease and epilepsy. I’m also 52 and work in a secondary school in an area where the rate is going up. I’ve rung the surgery twice and no one knows if I’m due a letter, just that if I do it’ll be coming from the council ( along with a reminder when the recycling day is ). I had my first vaccine yesterday and felt like I’d drunk a whole bottle of Jack Daniel’s today. Still better than Covid I’d say. X

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm, my 90 yo T2 dad was looking forward to his second dose of vaccine. I can't honestly see the point of making 10% (or more) of the UK population shield after vaccination....

Surely no need for T2s on no meds because they've put their T2 in remission via diet to shield. Plus if I was a 20 something vaccinated T1 I'd be pretty unhappy to have to shield.
Because they can still pass on covid-19 to others, and the vaccinations are not 100% and there may be mutations. Shield is to protect everyone. Even shielded people come into contact with others, with objects, with post etc.

Martin153

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had T1 for 37 years & since Oct I've worked full time at Ocado.
I was told that if diabetes is well controlled then I am no more likely to get any other nasty.
I've not got a shielding letter & do not expect to get one.
I'd bin it if I did, I've got rent to pay & visits to Greggs on days off :)
Had first Pfizer vaccine on Feb 18th.

Reactions: oldgreymare

simo_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had a shielding letter yesterday; have discussed with GP and neither of us understand why. I'm 45, male, type 2 and no other risk factors. According to the academic version of the model my risk of death would be <1 in 7000.
Can only assume there's some bad data from somewhere being used.
My GP did mention that after the first set of shielding letters about 40% of those the surgery reviewed were wrong.