High fasting blood sugars

lelisabethjo

Hi, I have been on the Keto diet for 5 days so far to get my blood sugars down but since i have been on it my morning fasting blood sugar level has been for the last 3 days 12.1, 12.8 and 13.4, i am eating 2 keto meals at midday and 6pm so i cant understand why my blood sugars are going up. is this normal for a keto diet ?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @lelisabethjo and welcome to the forum.
If you could give a little more information, this will enable members to help you. So could you please tell us what type of diabetes you have and any medication you’re on. Also perhaps you could tell us a typical day’s food and drink.

Edit for typo.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums.

The dawn phenomena occurs when people wake up and their liver pumps out sugar to help them get through the day. So even though you may be eating keto, your liver doesn't know about this and sabotages you. For this reason many T2 diabetics find that their fasting glucose is the last level to come down when they try to improve their condition by reducing carbs, and many T1 diabetics have to inject extra insulin at breakfast, even if they aren't eating any carbs then.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
12.1, 12.8 and 13.4,

Given the inherent inaccuracies of bg meters, I wouldn't say that your levels are necessarily going up. A meter can easily be 10% out from the "true" value.