Hello and help

Suzieplant84

Recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes although 2 doctors arguing if I am type 1 as its does run in my family ( get all the good stuff from them ) I am finding it seriously hard to control my blood sugars they go scarily high and takes days for it to get to lower numbers...checked them this morning and they are 16.3 down from 32.7.. I eat all the right foods and avoiding all carbs.. I am 37 years old and work as a mental health nurse and struggling with the whole process.. was told over the phone and medication issued.. have a telephone call with diabetic nurse on Wednesday.. wish me luck

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Suzieplant84 and welcome!

Getting the correct diagnosis will certainly be important. As well as the HbA1c have they run any additional tests such as GAD and c-peptide? Those are the usual starting points for determining type.

What medication are you currently taking? That’ll inform any initial information we give here while you wait for your appointment on Wednesday.

In the meantime, when you say you’re ‘avoiding all carbs’, what does that look like? If you give an idea of a typical day’s food, we may be able to spot some hidden carbs to help you out.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
although 2 doctors arguing if I am type 1 as its does run in my family ( get all the good stuff from them
emoji1787.png
)

WElcome to the forums.

Ask for a cpeptide test and GAD tests. The cpeptide will tell you how much insulin you are producing (high for T2s, low for T1s) and anpositive GAD test would confirm T1 (though a negative doesn't prove T2).

There are also also obscure diabetic variants such as MODY, which need a genetic test to confirm, and are apparently more common for people with diabetic relatives...

Reactions: Suzieplant84

Suzieplant84

Hi @Suzieplant84 and welcome!

Getting the correct diagnosis will certainly be important. As well as the HbA1c have they run any additional tests such as GAD and c-peptide? Those are the usual starting points for determining type.

What medication are you currently taking? That’ll inform any initial information we give here while you wait for your appointment on Wednesday.

In the meantime, when you say you’re ‘avoiding all carbs’, what does that look like? If you give an idea of a typical day’s food, we may be able to spot some hidden carbs to help you out.
Pretty much not eating any carbs other from salad at the moment..black coffee and plenty of lean meats

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pretty much not eating any carbs other from salad at the moment..black coffee and plenty of lean meats

Hi Suzie, I'm sure they will eventually get round to testing for antibodies and C peptide but in the meantime, I don't think it's wise to have to wait until 'Wednesday' to see what they say if your levels have been up in the 30s! IF you are type 1 (and you could well be) then those high levels are dangerous, did they say anything about checking for ketones? I'm sure you know this but leaving levels that high for days on end (without the means to check for ketones) is a massive risk.

You are eating very few (if any carbs) and your levels are still high and as you say taking days to come down. If I were you I would get back onto the GP asap. How long have your levels been this high and WHEN did you get that initial phone call (without being seen???). x

Reactions: Goonergal

Suzieplant84

Hi Suzie, I'm sure they will eventually get round to testing for antibodies and C peptide but in the meantime, I don't think it's wise to have to wait until 'Wednesday' to see what they say if your levels have been up in the 30s! IF you are type 1 (and you could well be) then those high levels are dangerous, did they say anything about checking for ketones? I'm sure you know this but leaving levels that high for days on end (without the means to check for ketones) is a massive risk.

You are eating very few (if any carbs) and your levels are still high and as you say taking days to come down. If I were you I would get back onto the GP asap. How long have your levels been this high and WHEN did you get that initial phone call (without being seen???). x
I am ringing doctors up on Monday as I was I hospital yesterday and there wasn't much they could do for me.. I have 0.2 ketone which is low but have glucose in my.urine with is High..proud moment though today as my bloods are now 9.3 after fasting and just having boiled eggs and turkey sausage for late brunch.. feeling more energised and determined to do this. Felt unwell for so long its good to see the light at the end of the tunnel

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forums,

I am glad that your fast levels are coming down. Agree with the others though that you really need them to work out what type of diabetes you have so you can work out your way of dealing with it. I suspect your job is also stressful and probably more so over the last year- stress as well as carbs can affect your blood sugar levels so just be aware of that.

Good luck and welcome.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds very likely you are T1. Yes, get the two tests done and hopefully it will confirm the right diagnosis.