Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I notice however that there is a very limited list of phones it will work with
It works with most phones. Can it be you found some incomplete list?
Does your phone have NFC and have you tried downloading the app?

If it really doesn't work with your phone you could try asking around with your friends if someone has an old smartphone gathering dust. I keep my ancient Samsung S3 mini as a back-up in case I lose my phone.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

If it really doesn't work with your phone you could try asking around with your friends if someone has an old smartphone gathering dust. I keep my ancient Samsung S3 mini as a back-up in case I lose my phone.

Of course - my Xiaomi doesn't have NFC. I do have an old Wileyfox which does though. Thank you @Antje77

Reactions: Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just seen that Abbot are offering a free trial of their Freestyle Libre 2 sensor:
https://sample.freestyle.abbott/gb-en/freestylelibre.html

I notice however that there is a very limited list of phones it will work with - i.e. not my newish Xiaomi Remi Note 9S.

Is there a way round this?

It didn't work with my Galaxy Note4. The updated Abbot app was I compatable, though I could scan the L2.
But wasn't bad when I downloaded Diabox. Scaned the sensor with the app & instant BT connection.
I fancy the L2 is more accurate than the former.

I've gone back to the L1 & Miaomiao set up now.. Works with my watch.

Reactions: Ketocate

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the link @DunePlodder. I was diagnosed type 2 nearly four years ago and have always been tempted to try the Libre, but was always put off by the cost. I have a free one winging it’s way to me soon, looking forward to receiving it :)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the link @DunePlodder. I was diagnosed type 2 nearly four years ago and have always been tempted to try the Libre, but was always put off by the cost. I have a free one winging it’s way to me soon, looking forward to receiving it :)
That's great news! You can learn such a lot from continuous monitoring. I suggest keeping a good record of what you eat.

Reactions: Rachox and Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

You know you want to... I put in for a freebie. I self fund mine anyway, (loacal ASDA pharmacy.) so every little helps.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's great news! You can learn such a lot from continuous monitoring. I suggest keeping a good record of what you eat.
I have kept a food diary since I got my first blood glucose machine shortly after diagnosis!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have one winging its way to me too. :)
The offer is only open to new customers, ie not to anyone who has bought from Abbott before

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for this post, I have wanted to try these for quite some time but have been put off by the price. A trial is the perfect solution!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Abbott web site seems to be having problems this morning
Every time I complete my order it stops with a "Session Time Out" message.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I've just seen that Abbot are offering a free trial of their Freestyle Libre 2 sensor:
https://sample.freestyle.abbott/gb-en/freestylelibre.html

I notice however that there is a very limited list of phones it will work with - i.e. not my newish Xiaomi Remi Note 9S.

Is there a way round this?
Thank you for this tip-off DunePlodder. I have ordered my sensor and downloaded the app to my iPhone 11. I have been meaning to try the Libre for ages.

P62

Reactions: DunePlodder

Ketocate

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you need to be on medication
use this?

Ketocate

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No. It purely monitors your glucose levels. Some diabetics on insulin have them prescribed but anyone can self fund.

Thanks although I’ve just looked at the cost, too prohibitive for me

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can this new version sensor be used with the Libre reader - i don't have or particularly want a fancy phone just so i can use one?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Abbott turned me down... :banghead:

I was "found to be an existing user through the eligibility check."

They know everything. o_O My Libreview account says i've used one before.. Which i had.
But i hadn't obtained it from them.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can this new version sensor be used with the Libre reader - i don't have or particularly want a fancy phone just so i can use one?

You need a Libre 2 reader. If you have the original reader and ordered that from Abbott they will send a Libre 2 reader free of charge. That’s what I did as I prefer the reader to the phone.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You need a Libre 2 reader. If you have the original reader and ordered that from Abbott they will send a Libre 2 reader free of charge.
You can also update the old reader. It won't give you alarms but it will read the sensor the same as the Libre 1.
Abbott turned me down... :banghead:

I was "found to be an existing user through the eligibility check."

They know everything. o_O My Libreview account says i've used one before.. Which i had.
But i hadn't obtained it from them.
Use a different email address? Ask a friend to order one? (Heck, ask all your friends to order one. Or is this a selfish evil thought?)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I have a Samsung just over 2 years old - any idea what version it could be? I can't see it on the phone