8 years off the meds.

Tannith

BANNED
It has been a calorie controlled diet. Carbs are my weakness but I'm working hard on lowering what my intake is. I have not actually been told how many I should be having each day. I am still using the same diet that saw me come off of my medication before in the hope it could get me back on track.
https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bmr This will tell you how many calories you need each day. You can then adjust for whatever activity/exercise you may do.

Justa_swim_coach

First of all congrats on amazing weight loss & the following 8 years of remission.
A few questions if I may be rude enough to poke you.
What was your HbA1c at diagnosis prior to 2013 ?
How well did you maintain a <48 HbA1c in the preceeding years ?
Has it just shot up to 64 all of a sudden or has there being creep over the years ?

I see similarities between our cases so I'm very curious.
I honestly can't remember what my hba1c was back in 2013 sorry. It must have started to creep up over 2020 as my 2019 was OK. I was able to maintain my 1c by continuing on the same diet and swimming and gym. Obviously 2020 messed all that up. I'm hoping once we get back to normal it will head back in the right direction.

Justa_swim_coach

Well done for the large weight loss. What is your BMI currently? I would focus on the Carbs and not Calories as the latter don't track food group content but convenient for diet companies to use for marketing.
My current bmi is 27.9
My fitness pal has been really good for the past 9 years.

Justa_swim_coach

Hi, please be very careful if low carbing with the flozins. Don't miss meals and don't go too low
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/dapagliflozin/
I am going to try and get an appointment with the dietitian to figure out what's needed. On reading through different websites alot say 20g to 40g of carbs per meal. Yet others say no more than 40g in a day? There is no chance on gods earth can I do 40g or less in a day.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to try and get an appointment with the dietitian to figure out what's needed. On reading through different websites alot say 20g to 40g of carbs per meal. Yet others say no more than 40g in a day? There is no chance on gods earth can I do 40g or less in a day.
40g per day is 120 a day. I personally, and many in here, would struggle to maintain a decent hb1ac

there is no one answer. It depends on your body and your level of insulin resistance. Some do ok on 120. Others do terribly.

What is your carb level typically? why can’t you do lower? These answers can help us to help you

Reactions: PiersAaron

Justa_swim_coach

40g per day is 120 a day. I personally, and many in here, would struggle to maintain a decent hb1ac

there is no one answer. It depends on your body and your level of insulin resistance. Some do ok on 120. Others do terribly.

What is your carb level typically? why can’t you do lower? These answers can help us to help you
According to my fitness pal all my logged food averages at around 160g that is all meals and drinks. My breakfast alone is around 40g and that's just 1 packet of porridge with soya milk.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Porridge is a definite no no for most of us. Causes bg spikes.
Have you got a meter? Sounds like you need to test regularly for a few weeks to identify what foods aren't doing you any good bg wise.

Justa_swim_coach

Porridge is a definite no no for most of us. Causes bg spikes.
Have you got a meter? Sounds like you need to test regularly for a few weeks to identify what foods aren't doing you any good bg wise.
I test before each meal as my doctor has asked. After one week on meds
Before breakfast Ave 8.8
Before lunch Ave 10
Before dinner Ave 11.6
So if porridge is bad what cereal is good?

Reactions: Grannypat

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Better to test just before each meal, and then 2 hours after to see what the effect has been.
No carbs needed, no need at all but most of us do well with the few in vegetables that grow above the ground, cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce that sort of thing.
Meat, fish, cheese, eggs, full fat dairy to keep you satiated.
This thread will give you some ideas
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I test before each meal as my doctor has asked. After one week on meds
Before breakfast Ave 8.8
Before lunch Ave 10
Before dinner Ave 11.6
So if porridge is bad what cereal is good?
As you’re already aware these are too high. And you need to know what they are after food to see the effect it has on you. Pretty darn motivational.
All grains are highly suspect to cause large bgl to spike. As are starchy veg.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So no veg? No potatoes I guess. What medicine do you take if any?
@bulkbiker tends towards carnivore. Others manage lower carb or even keto and retain some veg. But non starchy ones mostly which does tend to exclude potatoes on the whole. And we manage our levels mostly without medication (and the associated effects). Take a read of the links in my signature for a fuller explanation

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So it's really just protein protein protein. Where do you get your carbs from?
Carbs are not essential for life. The liver can produce enough glucose via gluconeogenisis for essential requirements without eating any. We may like them but they don’t like us T2 much. They are the very thing we can’t cope with. Like a very slow acting nut allergy.

As I said earlier the degree varies. Some need to go keto - under 50g., maybe lower. Others do fine at 100g. You apparently are not doing so well at 160g.

It sounds daunting but it really is just a different way of looking at food at adjusting to a new normal.
Protein and fats and limited non starchy carbs. So salads, greens, courgette, squash, cauliflower, mushrooms, peppers, small amounts of onion and carrots (maybe). Berries in sensible amounts maybe a few other fruits in small quantities if you are less insulin resistant. Dairy, cheeses, cream. Eggs. Meats and fish. All quite attractive so long as you aren’t vegan.

Reactions: ShelleyMac

Justa_swim_coach

Carbs are not essential for life. The liver can produce enough glucose via gluconeogenisis for essential requirements without eating any. We may like them but they don’t like us T2 much. They are the very thing we can’t cope with. Like a very slow acting nut allergy.

As I said earlier the degree varies. Some need to go keto - under 50g., maybe lower. Others do fine at 100g. You apparently are not doing so well at 160g.

It sounds daunting but it really is just a different way of looking at food at adjusting to a new normal.
Protein and fats and limited non starchy carbs. So salads, greens, courgette, squash, cauliflower, mushrooms, peppers, small amounts of onion and carrots (maybe). Berries in sensible amounts maybe a few other fruits in small quantities if you are less insulin resistant. Dairy, cheeses, cream. Eggs. Meats and fish. All quite attractive so long as you aren’t vegan.
Wow! I'm not trying to be difficult with any of my comments so please don't see it that way. In the last 2 weeks it's gone from nothing to 500mph with 0% info from my doctor or so called diabetic nurse. It was your hba1c is 64, your cholesterol is a little up, here take this tablet drink plenty and have a nice day. It's like ***! For me it's like walking through a minefield with a blindfold on and people shouting go left, go right.