Just been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and Fatty Liver - Feeling a bit overwhelmed

Cookie8

Hi, I’m new to this forum. I have just been diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes.
I thought I had a UTI but my urine sample showed high levels of glucose , had bloods taken, liver function high and Hbc1 level 53, was diagnosed as pre diabetic and told to test again in 8 weeks, tested this week and it’s now 61 and I have been told I’m diabetic and an hour long telephone consultation booked for next week to discuss with the diabetic Nurse.

Also a couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed with Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver, I’m very overweight and have had PCOS for years and also been on medication for high blood pressure for the last 5 years.
I’m cross with myself for putting so much weight on which I assume is the cause of the recent health issues. I have already been trying to loose weight but can’t seem to loose more than a couple of pounds and then I get down (I admit I’m an emotional eater) and put that 2lb back on again. I am now really trying hard with a low carb diet but still getting my head around it all, one thing I didn’t realise is that diabetics shouldn’t eat a lot of fruit, I normally eat a lot of fruit so need to cut down on that.

I know I will get more answers next week but can anyone tell me Will I have to take medication now? I was told of bloods stayed at 53 I would be diagnosed as diabetic but would be controlled by diet so wondered if that is still the case now it is 61?

Any advice on diet would be very much appreciated, I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all at the moment and quite emotional, silly I know because it’s my own fault I’ve got to this stage☹️

I have also had a letter saying the GP has referred me to do Diabetic education training , something called My Desmond, has anyone done this?

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome Cookie
Weight gain is often a symptom of diabetes t2 and PCOS rather than a cause so stop beating yourself up over that.
You might be given the option of meds, but you don't have to take them. You could ask for time to sort it yourself
Hopefully others will be along with the links on meters and diet and so meanwhile have good read this forum. Many of us with type 2 are doing well managingg it with having low carb or even carnivore way of eating.
No need to panic, it a marathon not a sprint and yes I was in pieces for the first couple of weeks too

Reactions: ziggy_w

Hotpepper20000

I have PCOS as well and one of the symptoms is extreme insulin resistance and as a result weight gain especially around the midsection.
Low carb and metformin even with out a diagnosis of diabetes can be treatment option.
I have lost 60 pounds. (Still over weight) have had a normal A1C for 3 years. My symptoms of PCOS have greatly improved.
Hopefully you can find the help you need on this forum. Ask any questions you’d like. There are many helpful people here.

Reactions: LaoDan and ziggy_w

Cookie8

welcome Cookie
Weight gain is often a symptom of diabetes t2 and PCOS rather than a cause so stop beating yourself up over that.
You might be given the option of meds, but you don't have to take them. You could ask for time to sort it yourself
Hopefully others will be along with the links on meters and diet and so meanwhile have good read this forum. Many of us with type 2 are doing well managingg it with having low carb or even carnivore way of eating.
No need to panic, it a marathon not a sprint and yes I was in pieces for the first couple of weeks too

Thankyou, I will have a good read on here for some advice on diet. I guess I need to get that in my head that it is a marathon not a sprint.

Cookie8

I have PCOS as well and one of the symptoms is extreme insulin resistance and as a result weight gain especially around the midsection.
Low carb and metformin even with out a diagnosis of diabetes can be treatment option.
I have lost 60 pounds. (Still over weight) have had a normal A1C for 3 years. My symptoms of PCOS have greatly improved.
Hopefully you can find the help you need on this forum. Ask any questions you’d like. There are many helpful people here.

Thankyou for your help, well done on your weight loss and your normal A1C, that’s fab, did you loose that through diet and exercise or have you been taking metformin as well?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Most of us would recommend having a lower-carb diet to control both weight and blood sugar (BS). All carbs turn to glucose in the stomach and if you have too many for your metabolism the body stores the excess as fat. That fat gets deposited around the body causing insulin resistance and the result is that the body can't use the insulin it produces and, hey presto, you become T2. Reducing the carbs helps the body to recduce fat storage and also may start ketosis (that's good) to burn off fat. You may be started on Metformin which many of us take. It's a very safe drug. It doesn't help a lot but do take it if offered. Yes, too much fruit is not good as it contains fructose (the worst 'sugar'). Some is fine but avoid tropical fruits as they have so much. BTW Fats, proteins and veg are all fine.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Going low carb can be a huge game changer - I struggled trying to lose weight for years (I'm also am emotional eater as well as the impact from previous drugs) but lost so much after going low carb and not counting calories any more. My fatty liver also resolved in spite of having double cream, eggs, butter, etc.

The way I made it work was to think about my favourite foods and the foods I turn to when stressed and find substitutes.
I swapped to a small amount of 85% chocolate to replace my usual bar or two of milk.
I make cauliflower rice, using the oven method as that tastes better.
Halloumi chips or a little kohlrabi mixed with mashed cauli for potatoes - and occasionally a very small amount of roasted butternut squash.
I buy a very low carb bread or make 90 second bread with ground almonds.
And I can eat cheese in reasonable amounts, and have bacon with fried eggs if I want to! In spite of which my triglycerides are back into the normal range and my LDL/HDL ratio is much better. Eating fat does not cause issues, eating sugary foods especially with processed fat does.
I eat loads of green veg or green salads, but can have oil or butter with them.

Some people find they don't need the extras but I still haven't lost my sweet tooth although I find less sweet foods taste better now. I use erythritol or truvia for sweetening.
Usually I have full fat greek yogurt with a few fresh raspberries. Sometimes a slice of no added sugar cake made with ground almonds/ coconut flour or rhubarb crumble made with ground almonds and a little butter served with real egg custard or cream.
There are loads of low carb/keto recipe sites for more ideas.

Hotpepper20000

Thankyou for your help, well done on your weight loss and your normal A1C, that’s fab, did you loose that through diet and exercise or have you been taking metformin as well?
I was taking metformin for a while before I changed to a low carb way of eating. It was only then I started losing weight.
I have always exercised even when I was at my heaviest. It did little to help me lose weight.

Reactions: Cookie8

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is that Metformin doesn't act directly on blood sugar or weight, but it can guard against cardiac issues.
Blood sugars and weight can be reduced through eating the low carb way

waldiebeast

Hi, I’m new to this forum. I have just been diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes.
I thought I had a UTI but my urine sample showed high levels of glucose , had bloods taken, liver function high and Hbc1 level 53, was diagnosed as pre diabetic and told to test again in 8 weeks, tested this week and it’s now 61 and I have been told I’m diabetic and an hour long telephone consultation booked for next week to discuss with the diabetic Nurse.

Also a couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed with Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver, I’m very overweight and have had PCOS for years and also been on medication for high blood pressure for the last 5 years.
I’m cross with myself for putting so much weight on which I assume is the cause of the recent health issues. I have already been trying to loose weight but can’t seem to loose more than a couple of pounds and then I get down (I admit I’m an emotional eater) and put that 2lb back on again. I am now really trying hard with a low carb diet but still getting my head around it all, one thing I didn’t realise is that diabetics shouldn’t eat a lot of fruit, I normally eat a lot of fruit so need to cut down on that.

I know I will get more answers next week but can anyone tell me Will I have to take medication now? I was told of bloods stayed at 53 I would be diagnosed as diabetic but would be controlled by diet so wondered if that is still the case now it is 61?

Any advice on diet would be very much appreciated, I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all at the moment and quite emotional, silly I know because it’s my own fault I’ve got to this stage☹️

I have also had a letter saying the GP has referred me to do Diabetic education training , something called My Desmond, has anyone done this?

Hi there
Im new to this forum, but since my Covid jab last week I have been getting the symptoms of diabetes. Crazy thirst and constant need to go to the loo. I have spent all week researching the topic and the most interesting you tube videos from Jason Fung.
I would suggest you look at his videos on reversing diabetes and fasting.
I have always struggled with weight but a few years ago when I was told to be on the borderline of pre diabetic I fasted for 3 days with amazing results.
It seems that if you are diabetic you can reverse the diagnosis with fasting for a set period of time or different fasting schedules.
I hope this gives you a positive feeling. The most important thing is not to get too stressed as it has a bad effect on your readings.
Hope this helps

Hotpepper20000

My understanding is that Metformin doesn't act directly on blood sugar or weight, but it can guard against cardiac issues.
Blood sugars and weight can be reduced through eating the low carb way
I agree, but with PCOS it makes it all a little more difficult. It’s not all as straight forward and low carb equals weight loss when it comes to hormones
Metformin one of the few known drugs with low carb, that helps with PCOS. Of course it needs to be discussed with a doctor.

Reactions: Cookie8 and MrsA2

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Try to look on the positive side.. And not be angry playing the blame game..

The fact that you have a diagnosis might be enough to reinforce the 'will power' to beat the problem

I'm a comfort eater.. When I feel down I could eat and eat until I'm so Ill I can't move..

But I've been told of issues that have been creeping up on me and I've found that this is most of the time enough to stop me bingeing

But you know what the best thing I have found to tackle it... Hobbies/outside interests if I keep my mind busy I don't think about food

Stay positive... Accept the help being given by the care team.. You are doing the right thing asking for help..

Good luck

Cookie8

Hi. Most of us would recommend having a lower-carb diet to control both weight and blood sugar (BS). All carbs turn to glucose in the stomach and if you have too many for your metabolism the body stores the excess as fat. That fat gets deposited around the body causing insulin resistance and the result is that the body can't use the insulin it produces and, hey presto, you become T2. Reducing the carbs helps the body to recduce fat storage and also may start ketosis (that's good) to burn off fat. You may be started on Metformin which many of us take. It's a very safe drug. It doesn't help a lot but do take it if offered. Yes, too much fruit is not good as it contains fructose (the worst 'sugar'). Some is fine but avoid tropical fruits as they have so much. BTW Fats, proteins and veg are all fine.

Thankyou, I’m struggling to get my head around the carbs at the moment but I’m sure I will get there.
I have been put on Dapagliflozin, the nurse said it will help me to loose weight as well, I hope it does!!

Cookie8

Going low carb can be a huge game changer - I struggled trying to lose weight for years (I'm also am emotional eater as well as the impact from previous drugs) but lost so much after going low carb and not counting calories any more. My fatty liver also resolved in spite of having double cream, eggs, butter, etc.

The way I made it work was to think about my favourite foods and the foods I turn to when stressed and find substitutes.
I swapped to a small amount of 85% chocolate to replace my usual bar or two of milk.
I make cauliflower rice, using the oven method as that tastes better.
Halloumi chips or a little kohlrabi mixed with mashed cauli for potatoes - and occasionally a very small amount of roasted butternut squash.
I buy a very low carb bread or make 90 second bread with ground almonds.
And I can eat cheese in reasonable amounts, and have bacon with fried eggs if I want to! In spite of which my triglycerides are back into the normal range and my LDL/HDL ratio is much better. Eating fat does not cause issues, eating sugary foods especially with processed fat does.
I eat loads of green veg or green salads, but can have oil or butter with them.

Some people find they don't need the extras but I still haven't lost my sweet tooth although I find less sweet foods taste better now. I use erythritol or truvia for sweetening.
Usually I have full fat greek yogurt with a few fresh raspberries. Sometimes a slice of no added sugar cake made with ground almonds/ coconut flour or rhubarb crumble made with ground almonds and a little butter served with real egg custard or cream.
There are loads of low carb/keto recipe sites for more ideas.

Fab Thankyou, I will have a look for some recipes. I definitely have a sweet tooth so will try and find some substitutes as well.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou, I’m struggling to get my head around the carbs at the moment but I’m sure I will get there.
I have been put on Dapagliflozin, the nurse said it will help me to loose weight as well, I hope it does!!
Take it steady going low carb while on any of the 'flozins'. Too low or too quick and you might end up in hospital. Lower them gradually
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/empagliflozin/

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree that there is no point in blaming yourself. I too went on many low calorie diets without much success unless I did an insane amount of exercise. I have lost weight going low carb.

There feels like a lot to learn at the beginning. You will get your head around it and there are many people on this site who are helpful.

As a fellow emotional eater I agree with @TriciaWs - lots of great ideas there. I have diet jelly- usually with a bit of double cream which them makes it a bit more filling.

I would ask your doctor for a change to try to manage the diabetes on either just diet or diet and metformin (and while you are at it ask for the slow release version of metformin as more people seem to tolerate that without symptoms.

Good luck and welcome.