1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Just been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and Fatty Liver - Feeling a bit overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Cookie8, Mar 6, 2021.

1. RachelW

RachelW · Member

I am a comfort eater with 5 stones to lose. I also have liver issues. Do I need to be in ketosis to lose weight? Or is low carb enough? I want to reduce liver fat as well as losing weight/putting type 2 into remission. Thanks

2. Judit@0514

[email protected] Type 2 · Member

I was recently diagnosed with T2.
    Medication was offered by my GP but I told her I want to try to manage it myself. I had covid last October followed by an accident and I gained weight. I was an emotional eater. My thing was the bread. I’m a nurse, had a very stressful job in the emergency room. I know about medications, poking my fingers is no fun so I’ve decided I will turn my life around and will not take meds but fight myself.
    I gradually cut out everything I loved and by the middle of the second week I started to feel better. I’m on 1200 calorie diet with 50-60 carb, fasting 15 hours a day and exercising daily. I am not a gym torture person so I ride my bike, walk or go to play golf with my hubby (picking up the golf balls mostly;)
    I’m loosing weight, sleep good, never hungry and my fasting sugar went from 11 to 7.
    I changed jobs eliminating the major stress in my life, exercise regularly and my mood is much better.
    I found this forum very helpful with tons of great information and nice supporting people.
    Hope you find support in this journey, it is very possible that you can beat it. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there. You may do better for responses with your own thread. Having said that, manybpeople lose significant weight through low carb without going fully ‘keto’.

Is there any reason you don’t want to be in ketosis and do you have diabetes/ take any medication for diabetes?

4. Roggg

Roggg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My own opinion and experience is keto is actually easier and more sustainable (again, for me) than "low carb" after an initial adaptation period. When you are low enough to be in ketosis consistently, your body uses fat as fuel more easily. A body burning fat will burn stored fat just as easily as dietary fat, so it helps to moderate hunger. When I am merely low carb, but not close to keto (say 50-100g daily carbs), I find I get all the hungers and cravings that result from the blood sugar swings of a carb based diet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Low carb means being in ketosis - it is just that someone labelled their way of eating KETO and probably wrote a book on the subject.

6. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I dont think so. I am under the impression that keto is very low carb and you have to be very low carb (under 30g a day?) to be doing keto.

I cold be wrong : )

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree. < 130g a day is seen as low carb and that's not the same thing as being in ketosis

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/low-carb-vs-keto#keto

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

There is a KETO diet, with rules and it is low carb, but most people burn fat at some point in each 24 hours, so they are in ketosis - even if they are not eating low carb.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook