COVID vaccine and extremely high blood sugars

Besty W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve dropped in for nose to see if anyone else has been having issues since the vaccine. I had the AZ Oxford on Saturday and had a very sweaty night, high blood sugars when I woke, headache too. It’s really messed with my normal good control since and struggling to keep them down, I seem to get control and check an hour later and it’s gone up over 15 for no real reason, Keytones are 0.00.
Pleased to read some of your posts with the advice, thanks all

Doctorwhobbc

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Can I please encourage you all to report your side effects to the yellow card scheme (link should be on the pamphlet you received at the vaccination centre).

My wife (Type 1) had the AZ vaccine yesterday and has had extreme difficulty with her blood sugar. After about 4 hours she got a fever and ice pick headache. From yesterday afternoon her blood sugars have been 20+ even after doing 5-6X her normal amount of insulin.

Things seem to be getting better now, but she's still running high.

We've reported the side effects via the yellow card scheme. Hopefully that will enable information to be sent to authorities and patients ahead of time to help reduce the severity of these effects in future. E.g it would be good for some information about this to be signposted to diabetics when getting vaccinated.

It goes without saying she would still get the vaccine again and would encourage anyone to get the vaccine when offered.

Reactions: UK T1

bonerp

I'm experiencing the Sam on Pfizer which I had yesterday. Pretty much within 3 hrs my bgs went up and haven't stabilised. I've done a lot more than usual and just whacked up my basel to 150%!

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,

Can I please encourage you all to report your side effects to the yellow card scheme (link should be on the pamphlet you received at the vaccination centre).

My wife (Type 1) had the AZ vaccine yesterday and has had extreme difficulty with her blood sugar. After about 4 hours she got a fever and ice pick headache. From yesterday afternoon her blood sugars have been 20+ even after doing 5-6X her normal amount of insulin.

We've reported the side effects via the yellow card scheme. Hopefully that will enable information to be sent to authorities and patients ahead of time to help reduce the severity of these effects in future. E.g it would be good for some information about this to be signposted to diabetics when getting vaccinated.

It goes without saying she would still get the vaccine again and would encourage anyone to get the vaccine when offered.
Four weeks ago I was given AstraZeneca. I had unpleasant side effects for four days: nausea, headache, whole body ached, temperature, and very high blood sugars, as well as the tiredness I had been told to expect. These lasted for four days. An itchy rash that started at the same time continued, despite taking antihistamine. After a phone call to the GP, and her requesting a photo, she prescribed antibiotics. I finished antibiotics two days ago and the rash has almost gone.

Does anyone know how I could get Pfizer for the second jab?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Four weeks ago I was given AstraZeneca. I had unpleasant side effects for four days: nausea, headache, whole body ached, temperature, and very high blood sugars, as well as the tiredness I had been told to expect. These lasted for four days. An itchy rash that started at the same time continued, despite taking antihistamine. After a phone call to the GP, and her requesting a photo, she prescribed antibiotics. I finished antibiotics two days ago and the rash has almost gone. Does anyone know how I could get Pfizer for the second jab?

I don’t think there’s any choice and I’m also not sure that there is any ‘mixing and matching’ going on as that hasn’t been tested. Have you reported your side effects? You can do it here: https://coronavirus-yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don’t think there’s any choice and I’m also not sure that there is any ‘mixing and matching’ going on as that hasn’t been tested. Have you reported your side effects? You can do it here: https://coronavirus-yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/
Thank you. I have reported side effects.
But on the yellow card website it says :
If you have had multiple COVID-19 vaccines, please add them one at a time and then select 'Add'.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe they mean 2 vaccinations, or the wording is provision for the future.

Currently, official guidance from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) says anyone already given the Pfizer-BioNTech or Oxford-AstraZeneca jab as part of the UK's approved immunisation programme should get the same vaccine for both doses.

There is no suggestion this will change, although in very rare circumstances a different vaccine can be used - if only one vaccine is available, or it's not known which was given for the first dose.

Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi said the government's taskforce had given about £7m to fund the study, but that findings would not be available until the summer and therefore "at the moment, we're not changing anything at all".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55924433

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe they mean 2 vaccinations, or the wording is provision for the future.

Currently, official guidance from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) says anyone already given the Pfizer-BioNTech or Oxford-AstraZeneca jab as part of the UK's approved immunisation programme should get the same vaccine for both doses.

There is no suggestion this will change, although in very rare circumstances a different vaccine can be used - if only one vaccine is available, or it's not known which was given for the first dose.

Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi said the government's taskforce had given about £7m to fund the study, but that findings would not be available until the summer and therefore "at the moment, we're not changing anything at all".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55924433
Thank you for this information. What a pity the study is looking for people who have not yet had their first vaccination.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had Pfizer and no major reactions apart from hypos at times of the day I wouldn't normally be at risk. Sore arm for 24 hours but nurofen helped.

Astra Zeneca does seem to be raising BG more

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst I am type 2 my bloods have been running around 5.5+ today which whilst I totally know is good levels is also about 1 mmol/l higher than I usually get. I had the Pfizer yesterday. So does seem to make a difference but nothing like the impact the type 1s are seeing so have to wonder how the interactions of the vaccine works.

Of course given the speed of the roll out and the number of type 1s being substantially fewer that type 2s, it’s a little bit of a scientific study in real time

Sore arm, but sniffly but had some paracetamol so shall see how it goes

hope y’all feel better soon!

Last edited:

lorraine c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have had high blood sugars since Wednesday I had my covid jab Tuesday .
I don’t feel I’ll but obviously high blood sugars make you feel awful .
I have changed pens needles sites all the usual but no better .
Obviously having to be careful not to over correct , I have reported it on yellow card scheme as suggested as it seems a lot of type 1’s have been affected . Hopefully it will settle down . I will still have the second one though , but know what to expect next time ,

MadeleineM

Hi there, I had my first AstraZeneca jab on Saturday and found starting 12 hours after I had chills, sweats, nausea, headaches and high BS for about 24 hours. It felt exactly the same as when I had covid but only lasted a fraction of the time. All of the side affects have stopped now apart from the high BS. I’m normally a 5.5 over night but each night I’ve been waking to 11-12. how long has this lasted for people??

waldiebeast

I'm experiencing the Sam on Pfizer which I had yesterday. Pretty much within 3 hrs my bgs went up and haven't stabilised. I've done a lot more than usual and just whacked up my basel to 150%!
I had the Pfizer vaccine 12 days ago and two days after got strong type 2 diabetes symptoms. Felt so bad I had an Hba1c check done yesterday at doctors surgery. Last test showed I was borderline pre diabetic but that was 4 years ago. I can't get my constant thirst and peeing to stop. Very stressed about it as don't know where to turn in the short term

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Increased bloods due to immune response is normal but I don’t know how long they stay elevated for. Anyone any idea? Google didn’t help

@bonerp how are yours now?

cineman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes. High BG levels
Has there been anything 'official' said about this? (Haven't had time to read the whole thing yet, but will do later). Both my partner and I have T2, though she is just diet controlled, while I am on just about everything! We have both had the AZ vaccine (first dose only) and have both had strangely higher than normal readings too.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has there been anything 'official' said about this? (Haven't had time to read the whole thing yet, but will do later). Both my partner and I have T2, though she is just diet controlled, while I am on just about everything! We have both had the AZ vaccine (first dose only) and have both had strangely higher than normal readings too.
I am not sure what "official" response you expect.
There are many things that affect our blood sugars including food, exercise, illness, stress and drugs.
The vaccine is a drug which may cause some stress.
Therefore, it should come with no surprise that those with sub-par pancreas (i.e. diabetes) may see a raise in blood sugars for a day or two when we have the vaccine.
But that is far better than having covid.

As this thread is in the Type 1 sub-forum, the answer for us is to keep an eye on blood sugars and increase our insulin to reduce the blood sugar rise ... as we would with any illness, stress, etc.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can report side effects via the yellow card scheme on the gov.uk website. My blood glucose was raised for a bout a week - at least that is how long I needed more insulin for to keep bloods within range. Within the first 24hr I had to experiment with doses, eventually I had 3x my normal total daily insulin doses, bringing this back to normal prevaccine doses within a week.

Type 3 in remission. Hello got the astra zenica 6 days ago had a HbA1c test yesterday, the results as read by the nurse today were "600" ???? Does anyone know what that means? The nurse was having a fit.
Tested myself on finger prick test 18mmol, shocked I have been in remission for 4 months now, random tests in the last 4 months show normal now this. So I must have been in the high range for the last six days!!! I have a lantus pen but don't know if I should give myself a shot or not and by how much?
Will contact the GP tomorrow and have reported on the yellow card scheme.
If It hadn't been for this site I'd be in full panic mode, thank you all for posting

Hello my story is similar just to compare, When did you get the vaccine? How much higher are both your readings? Have you increased insulin doses? And are the readings coming down and at what rate, curious to know

Hi everyone,

Hello, kind of similar story, how long did it take for the levels to return to normal?