Another Libre newbie with queries

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've taken advantage of the free 2 weeks but haven't yet put the sensor on or completed uploading the app. Have been following others posts but there so many can't find the answers I need, so...

1. Are covering patches essential? I do a fair mount of exercise
2. What are the best covering patches, and from where?
3. I understand its best to allow 24-48 hours to settle in. If I don't link it to the app until after that time, do I still get full 2 weeks, or Does this time get taken off?
4. Have I understood how to get it settled OK? Is there any thing different I need to do?
5 what is calibration and do I need to do it?
6 how do I work out which arm to put it on? Am right handed but sleep on my right
7 do I need anything extra...in other words what are all the miau, xdrip and other words/apps I don't understand on here?

Not that I'm overthinking this at all...just wanted one for so long and don't want to wreck it

Reactions: mattrix

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've taken advantage of the free 2 weeks but haven't yet put the sensor on or completed uploading the app. Have been following others posts but there so many can't find the answers I need, so...

3. I understand its best to allow 24-48 hours to settle in. If I don't link it to the app until after that time, do I still get full 2 weeks, or Does this time get taken off?
4. Have I understood how to get it settled OK? Is there any thing different I need to do?
6 how do I work out which arm to put it on? Am right handed but sleep on my right
7 do I need anything extra...in other words what are all the miau, xdrip and other words/apps I don't understand on here?

Not that I'm overthinking this at all...just wanted one for so long and don't want to wreck it

1. Not in my view. I don’t use them - tried a couple of times (Tegaderm and Rock Tape) but was allergic so gave up.
2. Amazon sell tegaderm and rock tape. @shelley262 can advise
3. Yes. The 2 weeks is from when you first activate the sensor. You can have it sitting on your arm doing nothing for a day for it to bed in.
4. Yes. No.
5. Calibration means cross checking with a finger pricker. You’ll only be looking for general trends, but it’s helpful to understand whether it’s running high, low or about right. I check a couple of times at the start and again if there is anything that seems odd. There is apparently about a 10-15 minute ‘lag’ between sensor and finger pricker, but I just go for a rough sense of how the sensor is running.
6. Doesn’t much matter. You do sometimes get ‘compression lows’ if you lie on it, but they’re easy to spot. It’s not uncomfortable to wear and I alternate between arms - I move about all night so end up lying on it whichever arm it’s on.
7. In my view no - especially for a one-off. Believe @nutribolt and @Jaylee both use the high tech stuff. That’s mostly for calibration and if I was needing to dose insulin I’d investigate, but otherwise the sensor and phone or reader is good enough.

Reactions: DJC3

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Blimey questions. :)

1. i don't cover mine. but i do cover the Libre 1 with a Miaomiao2 on an armband. (That's also because of answer to question 6.)
2. i use my MM armband.
3. The life of the sensor starts when you start it with the Librelink app. (You get a count down till it ends.)
4. personally on the settling. i give mine a couple of hours. the Libre 2 i used was reasonably accurate for me from the off. (unlike the the old libre1.)
5. The Libre app does not allow for calibration. I found with the L2 i didn't need to.. ( see my answer to question 4.)
6. i place mine inside the arm, less likely to catch it or lye on it.? (I rotate arms every couple of weeks.)
7.So long as you have a compatible phone with the app? You don't need all the fancy CGM add ons. (Like with the old Libre 1.) the Libre 2 is a self contained sensor & Bluetooth transmitter CGM.

Hope this helps..

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m a few days into my trial now. So don’t have anything to add to what @Goonergal and @Jaylee have already said. However my right arm was still sore from my Covid vaccine when I ‘planted’ (thanks for the verb I needed Jaylee!) it, so I put on my left arm!

Reactions: DJC3 and MrsA2

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
do I need anything extra...in other words what are all the miau, xdrip and other words/apps I don't understand on here?
@Goonergal has answered your questions as I would but I wanted to expand on this one because it is not just about calibration.

Libre uses NFC. You have to hold your phone or reader next to the sensor to transfer the last 8 hours of data from the sensor.
Add one like MiaoMiao or Bubble act as a bridge which converts the NFC signal to Bluetooth so the numbers are constantly transmitted to your phone.
I find this brilliant as I just glance at my phone to see the readings rather than having to do the scanning. It can also be used to alert in near real time when my blood sugars yet high or low. This is very useful for someone, like myself, treating their diabetes with insulin.
The standard LibreLink app has two downsides. It does not receive the Bluetooth signal from the Miaomiao and it does not provide any calibration.
The sensors are factory calibrated. This works fine for most people but some of use are not the same as the “factory man” and find their sensors are constantly out.
The sensors don’t read blood sugars. They read interstitial fluid from which you can apply an algorithm and spit out a blood sugar. Not official apps like xDrip use a different algorithm which adds a calibration factor. This means that those of us unlike “factory man” get more accurate readings.
You can use these apps without the bridge.

So, these things can be ignored if you want trends but are useful if you want more.

EGeraldo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
EDIT: When i started writing there were no replies, so most likely, I'm not adding anything new

Hello,

I've been using Libre with the respective reading device for about three months, so maybe other members can provide you with more accurate information.

So far, I haven't felt the need to use covering patches. The adhesive is quite strong; I only lost one sensor (unknowingly got it stuck in a chair and I pulled the arm really hard- it was stupid). If you feel more comfortable with something covering the sensor then go ahead. It would be a shame for you to lose the sensor to a door or something similar.

As you've stated, it takes 24 to 48 hours for a sensor to settle. I've had a couple of sensors that took an extra day (one of my sensors never quite settled in, luckily was the one that got ripped of). I usually activate my sensors as soon as i put them on and never tried otherwise. However, I've read in some forum about some fellas who put theirs on sometime before and activated it afterwards. From what I've read, the two week period only starts after the sensor activation (but never tried it myself).

Regarding calibration, the sensor only sends information; you calibrate the reader device. For instance, I've read that Abbott's reader calibrates itself using blood measures. My DN told me that the values read by Libre may differ up to 3 mmol/L with stable sugar levels. For instance, my current sensor (6 days left) constantly gives higher BS values (around 1 to 2 mmol/L).

Apps like Glimp also use blood measuring for calibrating themselves (I've only tried Glimp for a very short time, so won't mention others).

As for the arm you put it in, pick the one you think is safer. If you worry about losing during sleep, you could maybe put some old sock over the sensor or something. I've slept with sensors exposed one each arm and never had any issues. Once again, it's about you feeling comfortable with it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Goonergal has answered your questions as I would but I wanted to expand on this one because it is not just about calibration.

Libre uses NFC. You have to hold your phone or reader next to the sensor to transfer the last 8 hours of data from the sensor.
Add one like MiaoMiao or Bubble act as a bridge which converts the NFC signal to Bluetooth so the numbers are constantly transmitted to your phone.
I find this brilliant as I just glance at my phone to see the readings rather than having to do the scanning. It can also be used to alert in near real time when my blood sugars yet high or low. This is very useful for someone, like myself, treating their diabetes with insulin.
The standard LibreLink app has two downsides. It does not receive the Bluetooth signal from the Miaomiao and it does not provide any calibration.
The sensors are factory calibrated. This works fine for most people but some of use are not the same as the “factory man” and find their sensors are constantly out.
The sensors don’t read blood sugars. They read interstitial fluid from which you can apply an algorithm and spit out a blood sugar. Not official apps like xDrip use a different algorithm which adds a calibration factor. This means that those of us unlike “factory man” get more accurate readings.
You can use these apps without the bridge.

So, these things can be ignored if you want trends but are useful if you want more.

The OP is using a Libre 2.
Some of forum members have taken advantage of a free promotional trial of the L2 offered on the Abbott site? :)

I found the L2 accuracy pretty acceptable. More so than the former incarnation.
Though the BT didn't work with my standalone watch. It worked great with the Diabox app on my phone.
I actually found there was no need to calibrate mine.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
in other words what are all the miau, xdrip and other words/apps I don't understand on here?

While rest of the questions are answered already I figured if you are interested in a bit more details on what MiaoMiao Xdrip etc is then the pdf I created might be a handy start...

Like @Jaylee said you do not need MiaoMiao with Libre2 and Diabox seems to work quite well in fetching the data from sensor to your phone once paired ... the guide in pdf should walk you through the steps of how to set it up if you are so inclined...

I would add that in my case while I agree that Libre 2 gives relatively accurate readings without calibration they are still quite far off from the mark. For example right now reading on finger prick and Diabox matches at 5.8 but libreview app shows the reading as 4.9.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While rest of the questions are answered already I figured if you are interested in a bit more details on what MiaoMiao Xdrip etc is tgen the pdf I created might be a handy start...

Like @Jaylee said you do not need MiaoMiao with Libre2 and Diabox seems to work quite well in fetching the data from sensor to your phone once paired ... the guide in pdf should walk you through the steps of how to set it up if you are so inclined...

I would add that in my case while I agree that Libre 2 gives relatively accurate readings without calibration they are still quite far off from the mark. For example right now reading on finger pruck amd Diabox matches at 5.8 but libreview app shows the reading as 4.9.

Hope this helps. :)

Yep, come to think of it the Libre app was a little off in comparison to Diabox for me.?
I could still scan with Libre link but the update was incompatible with my device.
The Diabox app. Did it all (though, no option to calibrate.) But there were a variety of alarms & parameters to set the trigger BGs. If Bluetooth was lost on the rare occaision, just scan using the Diabox app it it was back on..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah but there is option to calibrate... you just need to activate it. You too should check out the pdf in my signature good sir. :)

Lol, I think I will. I crawled all over that app. Set the "widget" for the "at a glance" home screen & the banner on the lock screen.
Felt no need to calibrate. (I still check regularly when dosing with my meter.)

Visually, it's almost as good as xDrip. (But that's just my personal taste.) Ease of use wise? I can't knock it.
I just missed the bit regarding calibration. :banghead::D

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Visually, it's almost as good as xDrip

I agree... infact visually speaking I like it better than xdrip... I am just not sure why they have not shared the source code but perhaps it could be because of Abbott trying to bring things down all the time.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree... infact visually speaking I like it better than xdrip... I am just not sure why they have not shared the source code but perhaps it could be because of Abbott trying to bring things down all the time.

I'm sort of in two minds. By the way. i've seen yer pdf. Nice work. "GODMODE."
Handy to know the mindset of these app developers. Gotta be "gamers."
They saved me forking out unnecessarily for a new phone. that's good enough for me... :cool:

Why over complicate things.. :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
figured if you are interested in a bit more details on what MiaoMiao Xdrip etc is then the pdf I created might be a handy start...
Very informative pdf, thanks, but a bit advanced for me at this point in time. Perhaps you could add a short bit about what each is actually useful for? More of a 101 level than a Masters, please, for us newbies

Reactions: DJC3 and nutribolt

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hi @MrsA2

Another Libre newbie here. Finally 'planted' my sensor yesterday and it didn't hurt a bit. I am right handed but sleep on my left, so I stuck it on my left arm. So far so good. I have found out all sorts of information about how my body reacts including a HUGE night low (which I had always suspected I was having but had never managed to record it). I am going to try and get my doctor to prescribe the Libre for me because I feel a huge weight of anxiety the morning highs were causing me lifted off my shoulders. If I cannot get it prescribed, I will pay for it....somehow! I am thrilled with it.

I used my mobile to activate the sensor, it was really easy. I can take readings using my phone, no other equipment required. There are some very helpful videos on YouTube on how to plant the device and use your mobile to activate it and take readings . I used one by a German guy whose channel is called Type One Talks. If you want the link, just say.

Best of luck, you will wonder what you were worried about once you are up and running.

P62

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very informative pdf, thanks, but a bit advanced for me at this point in time. Perhaps you could add a short bit about what each is actually useful for? More of a 101 level than a Masters, please, for us newbies

Useful feedback... I will try and put something together. :)

mattrix

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A quick question for you lot using xdrip etc. with Libre1
Do you get readings for when interstitial glucose is below 2.2 mmol/L?
And do you get the 1 minute data?

My sensor/reader combo give me 1-3 mmol/L lower than my finger-prick, so when the sensor says 2.3 mmol/L I am at about 4.3. Anything lower and I just get "Low". So I could be 4.2 or 2.2 mmol/L and only get "Low" .

Not saying my finger-prick meter is perfect, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if it is reading high, but it is what I have used to tune my management to.

Last edited:

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you get readings for when interstitial glucose is below 2.2 mmol/L?
And do you get the 1 minute data?

With libre1, xdrip and miaomiao combination you will get data every 5 minutes. If Libre 1 sensor reads 2.2 on libreview app, it does not necessarily mean sensor is reading it 2.2 as Libre applies a proprietary algorithm but MiaoMiao sends raw readings collected from sensor to Xdrip. Now xdrip in turn applies xdrip standard algorithm so it may show slightly more accurate number but additionally as you can calibrate xdrip, you can actually have it show the number that is very close to finger prick results.

If your deviation on libreview is that high you should actually call Abbott and get the sensor replaced free of charge. They are quite good that way.

Last edited:

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I'm more worried about becoming addicted to something i can't afford !
Looking at your lovely numbers I think you must being doing everything right at the moment. My blood glucose is your actual living nightmare, up and down all over the place, so I need some of the info that the Libre is giving me to find out what on earth is going on. Perhaps you could use a CGM from time to time to check certain foods and how they affect you etc. Let us know how you are getting on.

Have a lovely day.

P62