Racism and hypos/diabetes

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Did anybody see th video of the type 1 commentator who thought he went off microphone, was racist towards young girls, and then blamed it on his type 1!!?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I saw it: it's a shame for him to try to throw diabetics under the bus like that, but I doubt anyone is going to believe him. He tried 'diabetes made me do it' then 'I'm a member of a Baptist Church so I can't be racist', and then of course 'I've got kids'. It was all quite undignified to be honest. Etan Thomas had quite a good quotation on it:

"Did it surprise me? Not at all. It was, however, shocking to hear Rowan blame his comments on his “spiking sugar levels” in his official statement. I wasn’t aware that racism was a side effect of diabetes."

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A case of least said, soonest mended. I know that having a low bg makes me irritable and might make me voice things I'd regret later. I also suspect that most people have some kind of intolerance within them (not just racism) so I would tend to judge this person by their actions and not their words spoken when they were hypo/drunk.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's funny how some people like to blame their prejudice on 'illness' or a health condition. I wonder why we don't all come out with this racist behaviour or abuse when we are 'hypo' or (allegedly in his case hyper)? Poor love, he must really go all out to keep his glucose levels below 10 or he must be worried about inadvertently shouting racist abuse all over the place...or is it just not true......

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Racism would not have come out of his mouth, no matter what, if racism wasn't in his brain.

Reactions: Robbity

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
It was probably the Tourette's brought on by his high Blood Sugar Levels. Yep looks like it's #$@&%*£?@*.........Sorry about that, sugars were above 10!

Reactions: KK123

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yep, sigh.. Been checking out the news & heard the broadcast.

At the end of the day. Matt Rowen's comments were inexcusable.

He clearly has an issue that no endo or tightening of BG managment will resolve...

Not in my name.

Racism would not have come out of his mouth, no matter what, if racism wasn't in his brain.

Bang on there. "If" he was having an issue? He'd brought his "demons" to the party & let them trash the place...

Reactions: oldgreymare