1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Racism and hypos/diabetes

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by notafanofsugar, Mar 16, 2021.

1. notafanofsugar

notafanofsugar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Did anybody see th video of the type 1 commentator who thought he went off microphone, was racist towards young girls, and then blamed it on his type 1!!?

2. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I saw it: it's a shame for him to try to throw diabetics under the bus like that, but I doubt anyone is going to believe him. He tried 'diabetes made me do it' then 'I'm a member of a Baptist Church so I can't be racist', and then of course 'I've got kids'. It was all quite undignified to be honest. Etan Thomas had quite a good quotation on it:

"Did it surprise me? Not at all. It was, however, shocking to hear Rowan blame his comments on his “spiking sugar levels” in his official statement. I wasn’t aware that racism was a side effect of diabetes."

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Always a way out for some. :banghead:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A case of least said, soonest mended. I know that having a low bg makes me irritable and might make me voice things I'd regret later. I also suspect that most people have some kind of intolerance within them (not just racism) so I would tend to judge this person by their actions and not their words spoken when they were hypo/drunk.

5. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

He was neither.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's funny how some people like to blame their prejudice on 'illness' or a health condition. I wonder why we don't all come out with this racist behaviour or abuse when we are 'hypo' or (allegedly in his case hyper)? Poor love, he must really go all out to keep his glucose levels below 10 or he must be worried about inadvertently shouting racist abuse all over the place...or is it just not true......

• Like Like x 1
  7. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

Racism would not have come out of his mouth, no matter what, if racism wasn't in his brain.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

And the fact that he made up poor excuses for it makes it even worse in my book.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. kevinfitzgerald

kevinfitzgerald Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It was probably the Tourette's brought on by his high Blood Sugar Levels. Yep looks like it's #$@&%*£?@*.........Sorry about that, sugars were above 10!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Yep, sigh.. Been checking out the news & heard the broadcast.

At the end of the day. Matt Rowen's comments were inexcusable.

He clearly has an issue that no endo or tightening of BG managment will resolve...

Not in my name.

Bang on there. "If" he was having an issue? He'd brought his "demons" to the party & let them trash the place...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook