Chip shop chips

lechiffre1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know, I know...not good, but hear me out.

I was diagnosed in January 2021. Had a very high HbA1c reading of 126. Had my second set of bloods taken today. On the day of my diagnosis, my blood glucose level was 26 mmol. Today, 2.5 months later it's 7.5 mmol. I've lost 1.5 stone in weight and feel fantastic. I'm eating very healthily.

We're due to go away for a short break to the seaside when we get out of lockdown. There's a renowned fish and chip shop on the seafront - we go there every year - there's always huge queues outside the shop - the chips are sensational! If I were to have a small portion of chips (and nothing else) what damage could I do to my progress? I will categorically not deviate from my new diet in any other way - it's just 1 portion of chips and nothing else.

Thoughts and comments greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Go for it. Enjoy. It is an experience you can’t replicate at home, so you are unlikely to fall headfirst off the wagon into drifts of chips every night for the next year.

I hope they live up to your expectations, but I have a teensy little suspicion that they won’t quite be as good as you expect/remember

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I was diagnosed in January 2021. Had a very high HbA1c reading of 126. Had my second set of bloods taken today. On the day of my diagnosis, my blood glucose level was 26 mmol. Today, 2.5 months later it's 7.5 mmol. I've lost 1.5 stone in weight and feel fantastic. I'm eating very healthily.

We're due to go away for a short break to the seaside when we get out of lockdown. There's a renowned fish and chip shop on the seafront - we go there every year - there's always huge queues outside the shop - the chips are sensational! If I were to have a small portion of chips (and nothing else) what damage could I do to my progress? I will categorically not deviate from my new diet in any other way - it's just 1 portion of chips and nothing else.

thanks,
I have fish and chips reasonably regularly. They spike my bloods and they stay elevated into the next day. But treat every now and again hasn’t impacted my weight loss or overall hba1c

I can tolerate more carbs though than some. I also do sone cardio (exercise bike) to help

So... for me a one off treat makes life worthwhile,

Reactions: lechiffre1969

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It does depend on your usual blood sugar level at the moment, how much carbs spike you, and what risk you want to take. And maybe eat some fish with them, without the batter?

Last time someone forgot and bought fish and chips for me I ate 6 chips and pulled most of the batter off the fish. It hurt but I put the rest straight in the bin so I wouldn't be tempted to eat more!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have fish and chips reasonably regularly. They spike my bloods and they stay elevated into the next day. But treat every now and again hasn’t impacted my weight loss or overall hba1c

I can tolerate more carbs though than some. I also do sone cardio (exercise bike) to help

You are lucky in being able to eat more carbs.
But having a reasonable HbA1c (ie the 3 month average) does not mean the OP's long term health would be OK if they routinely were to raise their blood sugar as it is the spikes that lead to nerve damage (including eyes).

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as it is the spikes that lead to nerve damage (including eyes).
Do you have any scientific evidence that it is spikes rather than sustained high levels that do the damage?

lechiffre1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Go for it. Enjoy. It is an experience you can’t replicate at home, so you are unlikely to fall headfirst off the wagon into drifts of chips every night for the next year.

I hope they live up to your expectations, but I have a teensy little suspicion that they won’t quite be as good as you expect/remember
Ah, thanks! It's the experience. You're absolutely right. It's not really about the food. I've proved over the course of nearly 3 months that I can turn my situation around. I've recently celebrated a big birthday - albeit in lockdown, and I had not one item that veered off the programme! Whether the chips will taste different? I'll find out and let you know!!

lechiffre1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I agree - a one off. It's sometimes the small things that make our predicament a little more bearable.

Reactions: jjraak

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Do you have any scientific evidence that it is spikes rather than sustained high levels that do the damage?
I have seen the evidence, but don't have the links - it is the reason the damage level is set at 7.8 mmol/L (this was mainstream, not low carbers).

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The reasons I would not do this are the chip fat will be oxidised and you will not know how many times it has been re-used. Chips are just potatoes sliced up and cooked in veg oil, which were one of the things that got me my Type 2. Before I eat something I metaphorically ask what the affected organs would say if they could speak, chips would serve my brain only.

Now that's me, diabetes did a number on me to the point of obsessive testing and many anxieties. Also I find it easy to switch off from past foods as a personality trait and to meet my goals.

If you will be happy with your choice, then you only have to answer to yourself.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have seen the evidence, but don't have the links - it is the reason the damage level is set at 7.8 mmol/L (this was mainstream, not low carbers).
Found a Doctor referencing damage at 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L):

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2

thanks,
I doubt that a small portion as a one off will have much overall effect. If you could do some walking immediately afterwards, or maybe go up a decent set of stairs, it might help as well. I'd probably just enjoy my chips if I were you, then go back to the regular routine.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was stating this in relation to having a low HbA1c result - that can look fine but if it is the average of spikes and low BS rather than ongoing BS in range then it is not a good result.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was stating this in relation to having a low HbA1c result - that can look fine but if it is the average of spikes and low BS rather than ongoing BS in range then it is not a good result.
I agree. I thought perhaps you had some evidence that a short term spike, caused by say the OP's chips, might cause some damage on its own rather than just contributing to an overall level.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sprinkle liberally with vinegar. Vinegar will help to keep your blood sugar levels low

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

thanks,

I treat every now and then will do no harm

I’ve always talked to my care team and they have always said a little treat at the like of Easter or Christmas is nothing in the long term.. you are on holiday have a little treat enjoy it

I doubt it would even show on a hba1c as this is a 3 month test

I’m sure there are some that will disagree with me…. But I thing you and your partner should be able to share a bag of chips on holiday and be happy

lechiffre1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I doubt that a small portion as a one off will have much overall effect. If you could do some walking immediately afterwards, or maybe go up a decent set of stairs, it might help as well. I'd probably just enjoy my chips if I were you, then go back to the regular routine.
Thank you for this. It's a 2 mile walk afterwards back to the house so I can walk them off! Thanks for your useful and supportive comment.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
As an insulin resistant T1 I find chips are a bit like kryptonite. A "small portion" can be a lot of chips so maybe count out the chips and reduce it to ten?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
As an insulin resistant T1 I find chips are a bit like kryptonite. A "small portion" can be a lot of chips so maybe count out the chips and reduce it to ten?

And for future reference, whatever number of chips you choose to have, do a before and after blood test so you know how well your body tolerates them.