IF this watch glucose tech is for real what happens to £50 Libre sensors

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both Samsung & Apple seem to be on the verge of introducing glucose tech on their new wearables.
Where does that leave Dexcom & Libre with their highly priced invasive devices & prices ?
Just putting this out there

I've still not tried a CGM, kinda envious when I see graphs & the like from posters

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Both Samsung & Apple seem to be on the verge of introducing glucose tech on their new wearables.
Where does that leave Dexcom & Libre with their highly priced invasive devices & prices ?
Just putting this out there

I've still not tried a CGM, kinda envious when I see graphs & the like from posters

Well, the way things are going with me.
I could justify shelling out a few hundred quid for this tech if it works rather than what I pull out over the long haul on sensors.
So, bring it on..

Lol, I've already worked out if I was to hang my car keys up for the last time, i could buy a pump with the proceeds from the sale & possibly obtain the disposables from the the money saved on insurance, tax, fuel & anything else that comes along needing cash to resolve it..

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am excited for this and if true I will definitely be getting one. I also have been a bit envious of those with CGMs but as a type 2 under control couldn't justify the cost. It may take a Biot longer to get to Australia- we usually get features after USA and UK but I am so excited.

Just think of what it will mean to new people in the future- it will make it so much easier- did I mention that I'm excited

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I self fund a dexcom (had to stop using libre because I became allergic to the sensor) and would certainly trial a smartwatch if it acted as a cgm. For me, using a cgm is as life changing as my first glucometer was. (Yes, I have been diabetic that long. :)).

Will be interesting to see what the limitations are and whether they can get the technology to work. Dexcom are quoted as saying that their G7 will work direct with the newest apple watch instead of having to go via a phone, so it's interesting that apple are collaborating with dexcom if they are also trying to develop their own technology.

I guess I'm a little sceptical at the moment, but if it works it could make a massive difference to diabetics all round the world. (Though I had a quick look at an article about apple's 2018 patent, and I think calibration may be a big issue).

Anyone got a date for when this new tech may (or may not) be coming out?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If is the big question... If it works reliably, but I'd want one for sure if it does.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Pfft ... it's nothing like the plastic **** Tracy watch I got in the 1960s with my box of cereal.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I definitely hope to upgrade to the Dexcom G7 when it becomes available in the UK. If the Applewatch 7 CGM function appears to work well, then I might invest in one to trial in parallel. But suspect this will be 2022 at earliest.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Depends how accurate it is…. Samsung has blood pressure monitoring on their watches and while having fda approval etc…. It offers rough guide at best

So I’m guessing this tech will be the same and should not be used for clinical decisions

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that it will all depend on the accuracy.
I’ve already got an elderly smart watch, so eventually replacing it with one that checks bg would be fab. But it would have to be AT LEAST as reliable as the Libre, and achieving that without an invasive needle-thing seems unlikely as this stage.

I suspect it may be aimed at the health conscious hipster market rather than the medical equipment market.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I agree that it will all depend on the accuracy.
I’ve already got an elderly smart watch, so eventually replacing it with one that checks bg would be fab. But it would have to be AT LEAST as reliable as the Libre, and achieving that without an invasive needle-thing seems unlikely as this stage.

I suspect it may be aimed at the health conscious hipster market rather than the medical equipment market.

I think it will definitely be the fitness market it’s aimed at

I like to update my tech so if it did come out I’d get it.. and even if accuracy is not excellent I’d use at as a rough guid at times I can use any other method

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well... call me cynical, but I have a suspicion that if a reliable, bloodless CGM becomes available then the purveyors of such a device will build in a subscription model somehow, with a monthly payment to view your results, perhaps. Or an ongoing fee to use that particular software app.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
So I’m guessing this tech will be the same and should not be used for clinical decisions

So maybe good for trends but not for insulin calculations....

In which case, could be a useful aid for those using glucometers rather than cgms.

But really, we're all theorising on too little info. It's fun to dream, though. :)

Last edited:

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It will be very interesting to see if the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency will give either watch authorisation as medical devices on which safe treatment decisions can be based.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So maybe good for trends but not for insulin calculations....

In which case, could be a useful aid for those not using glucometers rather than cgms.

But really, we're all theorising on too little info. It's fun to dream, though. :)

From what I’ve read and if it goes in Samsung/apple it will use coloured led’s same as bp/spo2/heart rate. So many variables on this from skin colour and thickness tattoos etc…. So yeah I think usable but not as accurate so it would never get icgm status…. Certainly not early versions

But IF they do achieve it then it makes for a promising future as the tech matures

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Does this mean I'll have to shave my wrists? :eek:

Looking at my current watch I don't wear it tight enough for full and consistent contact between the back and my skin.
One reason is comfort, another is sweat being trapped.

A reliable non-invasive glucose monitor would be wonderful.
I assume that by the time this arrives (assuming that it does) the Libre 3+ will be continuously transmitting to smart devices including watches and pumps and so will have moved a step up the ladder in functionality.

Beating-My-Betes

Probably worth keeping in mind that unless you're already part of the Apple eco-system, or are happy to become a part of it, the Apple watch is not an option. Thus far, Apple have not allowed their watches to be tethered to Android phones. I don't see them suddenly changing their policy.

Reactions: Ledzeptt