Metformin in type 1?

Marie4james

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I’m was diagnosed as type 1 recently and I’m on Levmir 5u morning 3u evening. (Switched from Lantus as I was going low at night and high during the day.) I’m also on novirapid 1:10carbs. My control has been really good since the switch to levemir. (I was up in the teens). My consultant recommended I also try and add in Metformin to see if this might help. I haven’t started it yet as I only wanted to change one thing at a time. My question is, have any other type 1s (LADA) used Metformin to help control? If I add it in am I more likely to hypo?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi! I’m was diagnosed as type 1 recently and I’m on Levmir 5u morning 3u evening. (Switched from Lantus as I was going low at night and high during the day.) I’m also on novirapid 1:10carbs. My control has been really good since the switch to levemir. (I was up in the teens). My consultant recommended I also try and add in Metformin to see if this might help. I haven’t started it yet as I only wanted to change one thing at a time. My question is, have any other type 1s (LADA) used Metformin to help control? If I add it in am I more likely to hypo?

Not me.. but my dad has and for him he has been much better since and his insulin requirement had dropped too

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My control has been really good since the switch to levemir. (I was up in the teens). My consultant recommended I also try and add in Metformin to see if this might help.

My (limited) understanding is that metformin reduces glycogen production from the liver so would help with the dawn phenomena. This is good, but then presumably it would lessen the effect of the liver when rescuing you from hypos? (Which is why I am hesitant so will follow this thread with interest).

I actually went on a metformin double blind (so I may or may not have taken it) a few years ago, and thought it might have helped a bit. (Really hard to tell because I also trialled a libre for 8months of that period). I wasn't warned about hypos so maybe it's not an issue?

Anyway, I'm still on the fence so would love to hear opinions from others. (My GP will give me metformin if I ask for it.)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
No hypo issues?

No… but as I say his insulin requirement has gone down… had he not reduced insulin then he would have had issues

So as anything when making a change you need to monitor it

Would I take metformin….. erm no way on this planet would I take it!!!

jahmoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible People
I tried Metformin but had a horrible reaction to it. Knocked me out every day I took, couldn’t be bothered to anything, tired, stayed in bed till midday. I stopped it after 5 days for one day and I was back to normal within 24hrs. Pity as I’m over weight and this would have helped get my doses lower and reduce weight, but I had a horrible reaction.

Check out the side effects before taking so you’re aware of any other issues.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have had type 1 LADA for three years. The first year I also took metformin unfortunately even the slow release gave me upset stomach quite frequently and I had regular hypos, cutting the grass was particularly bad and even during the night. The upset stomachs got progressively worse not better and the hypos increased. My nurse suggested coming off it and seeing what happened as by this time I had a Libre and I was much better without it! More in range whereas before I would frequently hypo and when having upset stomach would be frequently hyper. Didn’t agree with me and I stuck it out for almost a year, may work for you but I suggest wearing a Libre and keep a very close eye.