Celebrating real foods

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might give the Fage %0% a try, as there is some symmetry between our eating styles. I have try Skyr and Morrisons own brand as standalone eats, but the taste profile did not cut it for me.

I was surprised to like it - even over the 2% and 5% in the same brand. It’s slightly more tart than the Yeo Valley full-fat one I was using, which was almost double the carbs. I haven’t tried either Skyr or Morrison’s.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Does a salad of freshly picked kale, a few orange segments, toasted flaked almonds and thinly sliced shallot count as real food?

Reactions: DJC3 and MrsA2

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday was a real real food day. Meeting of the clan so baked a large side of salmon on greaseproof paper lined foil with a foil hood with a small glass of white wine pored over and seasoning. My oven playing up needs new seal but it took about 50 mins and stayed wonderfully moist. Accompanied by Waldorf salad and Caesar Salad just the Little Gem leaves shavings of Parmesan and Cardini dressing, roasted new potatoes for those who wanted. H/m chocolate cake decorated with mini eggs and fresh raspberries which I had to steer clear of. Prosecco, the Italiand would call “real” fizz.
Later on a chunk of Shropshire Blue cheese and a small spoon of Waldorf salad.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t have much room for gadgets but the air fryer really is worth the space. I’d never been able to eat the skin on chicken until I air fried it - now it’s my favourite part.
I have a Ninja Foodi cooker it pressure cooks, steams, bakes /roasts, sears/sautes and air fries. A whole small chicken I pressure cook for about 20 minutes then air fry for 10/12 minutes to crisp the skin.. awesome

Reactions: KK123 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Visit to a new (to me) butcher and fishmonger, side by side and about a mile from home. Luckily my freezer has no space, which restricted spending. Very much like a kid in a sweet shop!

Resulted in brunch of Manx kippers with unpasteurised butter and dinner of air fried (using the rotisserie spit) pork loin, with a nice bit of crackling on top. Some yoghurt too. Yum.

BECAA73B-A172-4B12-83A9-D3B1C001B5DA.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Ninja Foodi cooker it pressure cooks, steams, bakes /roasts, sears/sautes and air fries. A whole small chicken I pressure cook for about 20 minutes then air fry for 10/12 minutes to crisp the skin.. awesome

I have read about the Nija Foodi it does sound awesome and would actually replace all my other gadgets. Next upgrade maybe....

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Visit to a new (to me) butcher and fishmonger, side by side and about a mile from home. Luckily my freezer has no space, which restricted spending. Very much like a kid in a sweet shop!

Resulted in brunch of Manx kippers with unpasteurised butter and dinner of air fried (using the rotisserie spit) pork loin, with a nice bit of crackling on top. Some yoghurt too. Yum.

View attachment 48598

Wow! Looks like the rotisserie made an excellent job of the crackling. What time/temp and size of joint approx?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! Looks like the rotisserie made an excellent job of the crackling. What time/temp and size of joint approx?

It was about 700g - boneless. Did it for 15 mins at 200, followed by 2 hours at 80 (timer only lasts an hour, so checked with thermometer at 1 hour and again at 1 hr 30), then a final 15 mins at 200 to crisp the crackling properly. Not much of it left :D

Have you christened your new air fryer yet?

Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our Easter weekend treats is a large leg of lamb between 3 of us. Slow cooked yesterday, it was served with celery slow cooked in butter and white wine finished with cream.
Today the cold meat went either in sandwiches or straight into my mouth. Tomorrow it will either be heated in home made thai green curry ot maybe a shepherd's pie

Reactions: Goonergal

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you allowed to say which model you have...

tinmonkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I've recently bought a 7.5L OP500UK.

I already own a 6litre Instant Pot and use it daily, but the air fryer aspect has really become a revelation to me. This morning I cooked bacon, sausages, mushrooms and tomatoes in the Ninja, for my breakfast. Then this evening I cooked celeriac chips and a sirloin steak in it. All were delicious!

I also use the multi cooker for making my own greek yogurt, which is absolutely sublime. Live, organic and about 10% fat! What's not to love?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The model number is Ninja Foodi Mini OP100UK but mine is the smallest 4.7litres model I live on my own but even that one would be plenty big enough for at least two people but there are bigger models for larger families just Google it

I have read about the Nija Foodi it does sound awesome and would actually replace all my other gadgets. Next upgrade maybe....
I am always a bit sceptical when something does sound really good but the Ninja Foodi really does do what it says and it cooks about 20% faster than the normal oven .

I already own a 6litre Instant Pot and use it daily, but the air fryer aspect has really become a revelation to me. This morning I cooked bacon, sausages, mushrooms and tomatoes in the Ninja, for my breakfast. Then this evening I cooked celeriac chips and a sirloin steak in it. All were delicious!

I also use the multi cooker for making my own greek yogurt, which is absolutely sublime. Live, organic and about 10% fat! What's not to love?
To be honest it is better than I expected it to be I really did not think something portable could be as good as the conventional oven and replace that but it does

Last edited by a moderator:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yum! Made this chicken in the Instant Pot. Chicken breast, skin on, with lemon juice and zest, paprika, chilli oil, lemon pepper and salt. Crisped the skins up in the air fryer while the sauce reduced down. One left fir another day. Yogurt followed as I’d overdone the paprika/chilli a bit.

0117E7D9-E066-4F4F-B219-455E2D990B9C.jpeg

Reactions: Daphne917 and DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight we are having roast beef (looks like half a cow!), and I have a special request for my garlic mushrooms. They will be having assorted greenery and dauphinoise potatoes.

Reactions: Jo123 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was about 700g - boneless. Did it for 15 mins at 200, followed by 2 hours at 80 (timer only lasts an hour, so checked with thermometer at 1 hour and again at 1 hr 30), then a final 15 mins at 200 to crisp the crackling properly. Not much of it left :D

Have you christened your new air fryer yet?

Yes I did a chicken in it yesterday, I think it was a bit big for the space though as the roof got a bit messy. I also need to practice trussing so it doesn’t flop about!
Apart from those minor teething problems it was great. I actually video’d it turning and sent it to my daughters!

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks so much will look at that.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The model number is Ninja Foodi Mini OP100UK but mine is the smallest 4.7litres model I live on my own but even that one would be plenty big enough for at least two people but there are bigger models for larger families just Google it

I am always a bit sceptical when something does sound really good but the Ninja Foodi really does do what it says and it cooks about 20% faster than the normal oven .

To be honest it is better than I expected it to be I really did not think something portable could be as good as the conventional oven and replace that but it does
Thanks so much and I will look at that model too, useful advice about portions.

Hotpepper20000

I Spatchcocked a chicken yesterday and BBQ’d it. I stuffed rosemary, tyme, and sage under the skin with butter and sliced lemons.
I also roasted some broccoli and Brussels.
Tonight it’s a mixed salad with some prime rib on the the BBQ even though it’s snowing here.:(

Reactions: DJC3 and MrsA2

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh, that chicken sounds awesome, @Hotpepper20000

I’ve had a ginormous pork chop for lunch. Brined in water, pink salt, garlic, chilli flakes, thyme and a bit of lemon salt. Then seared before air frying. Delicious.

088E093F-5DC9-4FCC-BC48-54741407AD93.jpeg