1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Celebrating real foods

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Goonergal, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Having used ‘Abstenuary February’ for a bit of a reset, I’m setting up this thread for those who want to chat about low carb real foods.

Quite genuinely, for me, there is no general sense of ‘loss’ or need to replace the ‘beige’ carbs, but addiction issues mean that staying away from processed foods, whether they be the ‘full-sugar’ or ‘low-carb’ versions of things like bread or sweet ‘treats’, or even nut butters, is really important.

So having reset and cut out the stuff I don’t want, the idea of this thread is to be more positive/celebratory in tone and to share ideas about real foods, whether that be what you’ve eaten today, an interesting recipe or just the positive impact eating low carb real foods is having on your diabetes (kind of taking it as read that this doesn’t include banana milkshakes or fruit smoothies :D:D).

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Fab idea!

I am currently very much enjoying a batch of stuffed peppers . Hot or cold, they are equally delicious.

they are baby peppers, sliced lengthways, stuffed with cream cheese, sprinkled with jalapeño dried flakes - but any cheese or sausage or other choice would do. Then wrapped in smoked streaky bacon and into the oven for 20 mins at 180 degrees.

There are all sorts of variations for this recipe online, and the ones that use whole jalapeños rejoice in the delightful name of ‘atomic buffalo turds’. Google it, if you don’t believe me. A highly questionable name, but a delicious food.

The ones I make are just the 4 simple real food ingredients. I resisted the temptation to jazz them up with other stuff out of bottles and jars.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. nutribolt

nutribolt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I like the idea of this thread although lazy as I am, ever since I had my list of food items sorted, I have rarely deviated or tried finding new recipes... :D

All I can say is, I do a reset ever few days by completing an extended fast of 60+ hours. When I do eat, it is Low Carb food and the reduced BG is motivation enough for me to not stray from this diet.

Also, worth mentioning that every time I complete my extended fast, the sense of achievement is very high which coupled with positive health benefits has most definitely helped in keeping my mindset hopeful and positive. :)

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

Does bacon count as real low carb food? It’s really the only thing I eat that comes in a package besides cheese and yogurt
    My go to right now is bacon and avocado for breakfast. I’ve had to start eating breakfast again after years fasting in the morning because of pain meds for a bulging disc.
    last night I made lamb meat balls with cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and chille with a yogurt garlics sauce.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Brunneria

Staff Member

I think so. At least, it does in my world. So does cream cheese (see my post above).
    We have to live in the real world, don't we? And unless we are running our own small holding, with our own pigs and sides of bacon hanging from the rafters, we have to buy the stuff. I did make some of my own bacon a year or two back (used the River Cottage recipe), which was surprisingly easy, and delicious. But I think I over-cured it a bit, since it was rather hard.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Hotpepper20000

I agree, we usually try to make sure the bacon come from a local farmer so even better.
    I think I will be trying the pepper recipe. I have everything in my fridge.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Goonergal

Staff Member

Glad this has sparked some interest.

@nutribolt get where you’re coming from. I’ve always been a fusspot when it comes to food, which is why keto and carnivore appeal to me - never did like too many things on the same plate or cared too much for sauces. However, I am trying to expand my limited horizons a bit by experimenting with meat and fish that either I haven’t had before or haven’t cooked for myself. Courtesy of Waitrose and their 3 for £10 offer, next week I’ll be taking delivery of veal mince, venison mince, venison steaks, fresh tuna and wild Keta salmon, among other things. I’m in awe of your long fasts.

@Hotpepper20000 bacon definitely counts - sounds like you’re ahead of the game on real foods, but sorry about the disc pain.

And without wanting to lower the tone too much, @Brunneria, looking at some of those recipes, the spicier ones would definitely have me producing my own ‘atomic turds’. :D:hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Hotpepper20000

Now I just have to figure out how to post a picture of stuffed peppers.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

Chicken breast, mixed salad and full fat Hellman's mayo is my favourite basic meal

• Like Like x 4
  10. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have always cooked, mostly with real food. I like the idea of seasonal and local, but not of the inflated prices that sometimes accompany such!
    Tonights task was to a make a sweetheart cabbage be the main ingredient to feed 3 adults without the other 2 noticing the meal was mainly cabbage.

Spices to the rescue.
    Melt butter (or coconut oil) in sauce pan. Add tablespoon mustard seeds until pop. Add a bit of turmeric, pinch dried chilli and quarter red pepper finely chopped (later looks like the fresh chilli recipe called for but larder was bare)
    Add finely sliced carrot batons (just 2 small carrots) . Cook 5 minutes, turning regularly.
    Add shredded cabbage. Cook 10 - 15 more minutes until cabbage soft and carrots cooked.
    Served with grilled bacon.
    Yum

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Hotpepper20000

One of my favourite things right now is mayonnaise and Greek yogurt mixed with minced or puréed garlic and salt. I dip roasted eggplant peppers, broccoli and cauliflower. As well as various roasted meats.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mayonnaise highlights the problem of deciding what is real food. Hellman's "Real" Mayonnaise is 78% rapeseed oil which many people seem to despise. Cheese and bacon are processed foods that don't occur naturally, where do we draw the line?

13. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I draw the line at an ingredients list I don't recognise, or with a lot of items on it.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Goonergal

Staff Member

Personally I’d view commercially produced mayonnaise as processed food, not real food. Cheese and bacon are processed - but not heavily so. The intent of this thread is to focus on celebrating foods that are fresh, with minimal - ideally 1 - ingredients. However, it’s perfectly acceptable to talk about a bit of mayo here and there.

I’d welcome a discussion on what constitutes real/processed food, but in another thread as such a debate would be derailing this one. Over to you.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hotpepper20000

I make my own mayo with olive oil and farm fresh eggs

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Old rule
    If granny wouldn't recognise it Don't eat it
    If it has more than 5 ingredients Don't eat it
    might be a little difficult !!!!:)
    Carol

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ohh Last night I scored some reduced Iberico pork from Waitrose. It was quite exceptionally delicious. Thin slices, quickly fried. Actually it reminded me that pork is often better beaten thin and flash-fried. Stops it being dry and tough, as it can go sometimes.

Also, almond-flour chaffles with smoked salmon and cream cheese for breakfast this weekend. Does this count? Feels decadent but really simple and not as pricey as you might think.

On bacon, Finnebrogue nitrite-free bacon is good. Tasty and meaty!

I didn’t do so well on Abstenuary February because I was massively snowed under at work so couldn’t get out for walking. Not bad on food, I have cut my nut intake down and I don’t eat rubbish anymore anyway, but I did want to get outside more. It’s much easier now so I think I need to implement ‘Marching into March’ for myself!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Goonergal

Staff Member

That pork sounds delicious @TeddyTottie - lucky you!

I have some ox cheek bubbling away at the moment. Smells delicious.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

@MrsA2 hello. I read your cabbage recipe with great interest. One of my favourites at present is sweetheart cabbage fried in olive oil with, chopped onion and pieces of bacon. Yum

• Like Like x 1
  20. Brunneria

Staff Member

Yesterday I cooked a beef stew (just 2kg beef, a can of Guinness, onion and new potatoes for Mr B)
    Today will be pork in scrumpy (just 2kg pork shoulder steaks, a can of scrumpy, and onion)
    I do tweak the seasonings a bit at the end, and Mr B usually adds cauliflower or broccoli cheese to his bowl.

so now I have to do The Freezer Shuffle to reorganise the blocks of cauli/broc cheese to fit the stews in...

but I have 1.5kg of basa fillets that can come out of freezer, be cooked into a smoked cheese and cream sauce, portioned up, and then back in the freezer.

phew! That’ll set up up for a nice long restful stint of pulling real food ‘ready meals’ meals out of freezer while I avoid much time in kitchen ;) win win win :hilarious:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook