COVID vaccine and extremely high blood sugars

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had AstraZeneca a month ago. Very high BG since.

At first put this down to broken wrist causing me to be less active & therefore insulin resistant. But dont think this is the case.

Am on MDI. Have adjusted my basal slightly but think i need to increase it further as still getting sky high readings. Advice required on how people have done this safely & seen results

Am now concerned about having second dose. Anyone who has had second dose got any feedback please?

I had my second AstraZeneca jab this morning, ten weeks after the first vaccination. Because I had horrible side-effects after the first one, I am trying to anticipate problems by following sick-day rules even before problems start. I’ve increased basal and am taking paracetamol tablets. Although I was hesitant about agreeing to the second jab, I decided to go ahead because getting Covid would be worse. Tomorrow it be will ten weeks since my first AstraZeneca jab; ever since then I have had to increase basal by 10-20 percent and use higher ratios of bolus, but that could be just me. Currently, I’m somewhat worried because I do not know what to look for in the event of blood clot in the brain. Fingers crossed.

doodles 10

Hi, so glad I am not the omly one!! Not wishing bad towards anyone though!! I had some cortisone injections last Tuesday which always pushes my blood high for a couple of days, but then had my 2nd covid jab on Saturday. I am not eating excessive carbs, but I am taking prob 3 times the amount of fast acting insulin as I normally would, with lots of correctional jabs during the day as well! Hopefully it will calm down soon!!

TimLibre

Thank you all for posting this. I was already a bit suspicious about taking the vaccin, but I will now definately not take the astrazeneca one.

Lanata

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Quinoa, kale, anyone that thinks i have trouble doing my STEM job because i'm female.
Thank you all for posting this. I was already a bit suspicious about taking the vaccin, but I will now definately not take the astrazeneca one.

Honestly, take whichever one you can. The side effects may be bad, but this is a thread full of people having one side effect.

Being male and also diabetic, the consequences of Covid are going to be much worse than the jab.

Reactions: oldgreymare

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It will be your decision. But are you sure? Do you fall in the younger female group mentioned in the radio this morning?

Now that you know to anticipate the high blood sugars and other side effects, you can pre-empt those by extra insulin and paracetamol. You may be offered a choice; I wasn't. Now it is almost 48 hours since the second jab and side-effects this time are not as bad as with the first vaccine and temperature has stayed normal.

Hesitant as I was about agreeing to the second AstraZeneca, my sense still said it better than risk getting Covid. Also, the hospital diabetes nurse said that some people who had had Pfizer also had after effects.

As I said, it'll be your decision, you may be lucky and get to choose. Please let us know.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone got any idea when the elevated Blood Sugar stops? I'm now in my sixth week from having it and my Insulin requirements suddenly spiked through the roof again last night, and have yet to drop back off again.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone got any idea when the elevated Blood Sugar stops? I'm now in my sixth week from having it and my Insulin requirements suddenly spiked through the roof again last night, and have yet to drop back off again.
It sounds like it is different for everyone. Mine only lasted a week, worst time was the first few days. 11 weeks later and they've been normal with no spikes for the final 10 weeks of that period. Will see how I do after the second dose! Some people's dropped, some had no difference. I'd suggest be careful to rule out other causes for spikes just because you've recently had the vaccine. It could for example be that you're fighting another illness eg cold and your bodies doing that successfully so you're not getting any symptoms other than higher bloods?

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you managed to bring them down now? Im still struggling
I’m 12 days post vaccine BG’s are high, I cannot stay below 10. With highest being 25.. I feel lousy all the time. I’m doing double my normal insulin intake too - don’t know what else to do!

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I had my second AstraZeneca jab this morning, ten weeks after the first vaccination. Because I had horrible side-effects after the first one, I am trying to anticipate problems by following sick-day rules even before problems start. I’ve increased basal and am taking paracetamol tablets. Although I was hesitant about agreeing to the second jab, I decided to go ahead because getting Covid would be worse. Tomorrow it be will ten weeks since my first AstraZeneca jab; ever since then I have had to increase basal by 10-20 percent and use higher ratios of bolus, but that could be just me. Currently, I’m somewhat worried because I do not know what to look for in the event of blood clot in the brain. Fingers crossed.
Latest issued advice (UK):
"as a precautionary measure anyone that develops symptoms after vaccination is advised to seek prompt medical advice, such as:

• shortness of breath, chest or persistent abdominal pain, leg swelling
  • blurred vision, confusion or seizures
  • unexplained pin-prick rash or bruising beyond the injection site
Furthermore anybody with new onset of severe or persistent headache that does not respond to simple painkillers starting four days or more after vaccination should speak to their doctor."

Source -
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...-extremely-rare-unlikely-to-occur-blood-clots

See also -
https://coronavirus-yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...irus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...the-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-7-april-2021

Unfortunately, no specific advice has been issued re blood sugar reactions - following sick day rules seems a safe precaution.

Last edited:

TimLibre

At first one assumes that ‘they’ know what they are doing. Authorities assuring us that the vaccin would be 100% safe, no long term side effects etc.

Then we had more and more stories about (very old) people dying after vaccination. But authorities saying that these deaths were due to ‘underlying health issues’. Could be true, but it felt already a bit ‘too easy’.

Subsequently trombose side effects started to appear, even fatal ones were younger people were affected. EMA’s first reaction was that these cases were unlikely to be related to the vaccin, where I had the feeling all the time that they were.

Well now, finally EMA admitting trombose can be caused by Astra Zeneca. And the only clue we get is that women below 60 are affected most.

Why is there no info or research on the compatibility of these vaccins for T1s or people with other auto immune diseases? For how long after the vaccination it remains possible to develop trombose? Could there be more ‘lighter’ cases of trombose side effects which might remain unreported, but could possibly cause problems after years? (If i get a heart attack or something in 5 years, it will be very easy to say it’s caused by my diabetes). An example, the mother of a friend of mine (she’s in her 60s) was admitted to a hospital with fluid behind het lungs, about a week after the (astrazeneca) vaccination. But I don’t think a relation was even considered or investigated. She had no history of lung issues.

Dont want to scare anyone, but to me this all feels a bit too much like a very big field experiment. Indeed, getting Covid may be worse (or not, if you’re lucky you won’t get very sick). But as long as authorities are not sure what they are doing, I think I prefer getting neither, Covid nor the vaccin.

Last edited:

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We have a choice re the vaccine. I had it ,not only for myself, but for other people as well. However, we don't have a choice as to whether we get Covid. You could choose to stay in the house for the next couple of years to avoid it, but have to go into hospital for an unrelated matter, and catch Covid there, as others I know have done, and subsequently died, one was only in his 30's with no known underlying health conditions.

TimLibre

We have a choice re the vaccine. I had it ,not only for myself, but for other people as well. However, we don't have a choice as to whether we get Covid. You could choose to stay in the house for the next couple of years to avoid it, but have to go into hospital for an unrelated matter, and catch Covid there, as others I know have done, and subsequently died, one was only in his 30's with no known underlying health conditions.

I share your thoughts about the risk of catching covid in a hospital. 3 months ago or so, I left the hospital waiting room early as it really got too crowded in a poorly ventilated room and my appointment for an eye-checkup was 30 minutes overdue. I really felt uncomfortable and left.

For now i bought a box of self tests, and all visitig friends have to take one. But a real solution i dont have either..

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

This thread is about high blood sugars following the Covid vaccine. If you want to discuss possible long-term effects, or other wider issues around the vaccine, please do so within a new thread.

Thanks

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
At first one assumes that ‘they’ know what they are doing. Authorities assuring us that the vaccin would be 100% safe, no long term side effects etc.

Then we had more and more stories about (very old) people dying after vaccination. But authorities saying that these deaths were due to ‘underlying health issues’. Could be true, but it felt already a bit ‘too easy’.

Subsequently trombose side effects started to appear, even fatal ones were younger people were affected. EMA’s first reaction was that these cases were unlikely to be related to the vaccin, where I had the feeling all the time that they were.

Well now, finally EMA admitting trombose can be caused by Astra Zeneca. And the only clue we get is that women below 60 are affected most.

Why is there no info or research on the compatibility of these vaccins for T1s or people with other auto immune diseases? For how long after the vaccination it remains possible to develop trombose? Could there be more ‘lighter’ cases of trombose side effects which might remain unreported, but could possibly cause problems after years? (If i get a heart attack or something in 5 years, it will be very easy to say it’s caused by my diabetes). An example, the mother of a friend of mine (she’s in her 60s) was admitted to a hospital with fluid behind het lungs, about a week after the (astrazeneca) vaccination. But I don’t think a relation was even considered or investigated.

Dont want to scare anyone, but to me this all feels a bit too much like a very big field experiment. Indeed, getting Covid may be worse (or not, if you’re lucky you won’t get very sick). But as long as authorities are not sure what they are doing, I think I prefer getting neither, Covid nor the vaccin.

I'm not sure where you were told that any (not just covid ones) vaccines are 100% safe - to my understanding, this is impossible for any clinical trial to prove whether for a vaccine, medication or a medical intervention. However the testing standards by the FDA, EMA, MHRA, etc, do vigorously assess the benefits/risks outcomes of both trials and ongoing data after initial approvals. Please read my response above for very detailed links about the formal information gathered and latest vaccine advice for the UK.

Pragmatically, for the reassurance that you are seeking it is true that it will be a few more years before we have enough properly analysed data re the effects of any covid vaccines on subpopulations such as autoimmune sufferers, not to mention long term side effects of covid itself (long covid sounds horrible to me). So if you wish to wait on more information before accepting a vaccination, this is your personal choice.

However in the meantime, as a person with diabetes, regardless of how young/healthy you may otherwise be, covid is potentially life threatening. The only way (aside from vaccination) to most protect yourself from the risk of severe adverse outcome is to isolate yourself from the possibility of infection - i.e., very strict shielding. But is this something psychologically, economically you can or want to do for the foreseeable future?

Your friend's mother should report her symptoms that resulted in hospitalisation post her AZ vaccination (or ask that her GP and/or the hospital do so) via the formal yellow card reporting service.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like it is different for everyone. Mine only lasted a week, worst time was the first few days. 11 weeks later and they've been normal with no spikes for the final 10 weeks of that period. Will see how I do after the second dose! Some people's dropped, some had no difference. I'd suggest be careful to rule out other causes for spikes just because you've recently had the vaccine. It could for example be that you're fighting another illness eg cold and your bodies doing that successfully so you're not getting any symptoms other than higher bloods?
Same for me the first week was the worst. However, rather than getting better after that first week. I've been on a repeated cycle. Of sensitivity to Insulin slowly increases until about a step away from normal. Then suddenly Insulin resistance spikes again. Each time the spike's been less powerful than the last, but the constant yo-yo-ing is pretty draining.

Not getting any other symptoms which couldn't be explained by Blood Sugar's being elevated for much longer than normal for me.

*I should clarify this is primarily affecting my Basal rather than my Bolus.

Lesley's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In terms of vaccine immune responses 3 days is very short - your system will continue to adapt over 14-21 days - compare what you may feel versus actual BG levels in this first 3 week timeframe. So pragmatically deep breath and keep monitoring & control BGs as necessary.
What isa Dexcom pls

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi all

This thread is about high blood sugars following the Covid vaccine. If you want to discuss possible long-term effects, or other wider issues around the vaccine, please do so within a new thread.

Thanks
Oops, sorry - only saw this post after I posted the replies above.

So in mitigation I went through the latest UK yellow card data covering vaccine side effects from 9 Dec 20 to 28 Mar 21 to see what has been reported regarding BG levels post vaccination:

As of 28 March 14.6 million doses of Pfizer vaccine including about 3.7 million second doses had been administered.
As of 28 March 19.5 million doses of AZ vaccine primarily first dose had been administered.
Average report rate of ANY side effect for the covid vaccines is 3-6 reports per 1,000 vaccinations.

For the Pfizer vaccine approximately 80 reports have been lodged to date of BG disturbances (mostly BG rises). This is equivalent to a reported incidence of 0.000548% per overall doses administered.

For the AZ vaccine approximately 200 reports have been lodged to date of BG disturbances (mostly BG rises). This is equivalent to a reported incidence of 0.000103% per overall doses administered.

That this result is astonishingly small is not surprising given a tiny number of the population monitor their BG levels, and so far the yellow card analytics are not mapped to underlying health states (such as diabetes). But if anyone is feeling pro active please do log any BG effects post vaccination via the yellow card site. This may help future understanding of how to control BGs when having vaccinations.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimLibre

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Lesley's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is a continuous glucose monitor (CGM). Extremely rare to be prescribed by the NHS even for T1s, but available privately without prescription in UK cost £159 per month.
https://www.dexcom.com/en-GB/uk-dex...7ReisaUJGDEgcLmyAxyWH5bPHqf7VBQhoCMq8QAvD_BwE

Another alternative is the Freestyle Libre - cheaper but less accurate and possibly more tricky to use - there are very many posts on these forums on this.
Thank you yes I have read the libra can be inaccurate

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oops, sorry - only saw this post after I posted the replies above.

So in mitigation I went through the latest UK yellow card data covering vaccine side effects from 9 Dec 20 to 28 Mar 21 to see what has been reported regarding BG levels post vaccination:

As of 28 March 14.6 million doses of Pfizer vaccine including about 3.7 million second doses had been administered.
As of 28 March 19.5 million doses of AZ vaccine primarily first dose had been administered.
Average report rate of ANY side effect for the covid vaccines is 3-6 reports per 1,000 vaccinations.

For the Pfizer vaccine approximately 80 reports have been lodged to date of BG disturbances (mostly BG rises). This is equivalent to a reported incidence of 0.000548% per overall doses administered.

For the AZ vaccine approximately 200 reports have been lodged to date of BG disturbances (mostly BG rises). This is equivalent to a reported incidence of 0.000103% per overall doses administered.

That this result is astonishingly small is not surprising given a tiny number of the population monitor their BG levels, and so far the yellow card analytics are not mapped to underlying health states (such as diabetes). But if anyone is feeling pro active please do log any BG effects post vaccination via the yellow card site. This may help future understanding of how to control BGs when having vaccinations.

I am so impressed you posting this informative information! Thank you. After I wrote about my vaccine after effects, I felt less worried once I read how other people had had similar problems but had survived to tell the tale. I had been genuinely scared because I felt so ill. It is good to have this community.

Reactions: TimLibre