Low Blood Glucose on Keto

CotswoldsBloke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I’m experiencing dips in BG below 4 during the day and night (I’m T2 and controlling through diet). I’m fairly newly diagnosed so I don’t know if I’m having a hypo or not. Reading about the symptoms of one, the only thing I feel is a little tired. I use a Libre 2 and at first I just thought that it was reading on the low side, but for the last few days I have been using a finger prick test to validate and while the Libre is always slightly lower, the finger prick also shows a low reading).

I started proper keto (<20g of carbs per day) about 3 weeks ago (before that I was just in low carbs <50g per day). I eat two meals a day and have been feeling good on it.

My gut feel is to eat some more carbs to try and get control of the levels, but I wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar. Clearly, I don’t want to come out of ketosis, but more stable BG levels are obviously more important.

Thanks for any help.
Nick

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you’re not on medication and feeling OK then it’s highly unlikely you’re having a hypo. I quite regularly drop into the 3s without issue.

Reactions: CotswoldsBloke

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, if it's any help my Diabetes Nurse said a non diabetic (or a well controlled type 2 not on meds I guess) can go down into the mid 3s and that for them that would be normal. What are your readings? x

CotswoldsBloke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, if it's any help my Diabetes Nurse said a non diabetic (or a well controlled type 2 not on meds I guess) can go down into the mid 3s and that for them that would be normal. What are your readings? x

That’s interesting.

My levels when I do go below 4 are normally 3.6/3.7 and I range between 4 and 5.4 for the main.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I’m experiencing dips in BG below 4 during the day and night (I’m T2 and controlling through diet). I’m fairly newly diagnosed so I don’t know if I’m having a hypo or not. Reading about the symptoms of one, the only thing I feel is a little tired. I use a Libre 2 and at first I just thought that it was reading on the low side, but for the last few days I have been using a finger prick test to validate and while the Libre is always slightly lower, the finger prick also shows a low reading).

I started proper keto (<20g of carbs per day) about 3 weeks ago (before that I was just in low carbs <50g per day). I eat two meals a day and have been feeling good on it.

My gut feel is to eat some more carbs to try and get control of the levels, but I wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar. Clearly, I don’t want to come out of ketosis, but more stable BG levels are obviously more important.

Thanks for any help.
Nick
I’m not on keto and today after work I had levels of 3.7, I’d eaten avacado and some Mexicana cheese for breakfast and soup and a creme egg (I know I shouldn’t but I’m weak for them) for lunch as well as having a large latte

levels mid 3s now after work haven’t been unusual since I stopped meds, I actually asked about it on the forums and was reassured like you are being

so yeah, possible for someone not on meds, I also feel absolutely fine. I actually when I was on drugs pre fitness got hypo symptoms when I was in the 5+ so not feeling strange is different.

I lie, I got weird feeling once and I was 2.7, double tested. So I ate something. Not sure what my body is doing anymore

it’s a bit weird though isn’t it, hypo is something we are warned of but diet controlled can get such low levels

CotswoldsBloke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that reply. What meds were you on? I was prescribed Metformin, which I didn’t want to take (determined to manage it through the thing that got me there in the first place) and have now stopped.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that reply. What meds were you on? I was prescribed Metformin, which I didn’t want to take (determined to manage it through the thing that got me there in the first place) and have now stopped.
I was on metformin 2000mg, weekly bydureon and daplaflaglozin before I got back into non diabetic levels. I lowered carbs and lost a lot of weight, for me I seem to be able to tolerate a lot more carbs than many though so I am very much now a fan of lowering carbs as a way to improve diabetes type 2. I also though do a fair amount of cardio which seems to help me keep the levels at bay and tolerate more carbs. I can see from testing what carbs can do though, some carbs like potatoes I can easily see into the next day

I don’t know If longer term my body will lose the ability to cope though so keep an eye on things

CotswoldsBloke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on metformin 2000mg, weekly bydureon and daplaflaglozin before I got back into non diabetic levels. I lowered carbs and lost a lot of weight, for me I seem to be able to tolerate a lot more carbs than many though so I am very much now a fan of lowering carbs as a way to improve diabetes type 2. I also though do a fair amount of cardio which seems to help me keep the levels at bay and tolerate more carbs. I can see from testing what carbs can do though, some carbs like potatoes I can easily see into the next day

I don’t know If longer term my body will lose the ability to cope though so keep an eye on things

Inspirational stuff.

I’m 4 stone down but have another 7 to go. Walking has helped me enormously and I’ll up the exercise as more weight comes off.

Determined to get this thing understood and controlled.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Inspirational stuff.

I’m 4 stone down but have another 7 to go. Walking has helped me enormously and I’ll up the exercise as more weight comes off.

Determined to get this thing understood and controlled.
I’m one of many on the forum, but thank you
Sounds like you are doing really well too

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I have a Libre 2 and a sinocare AQ smart meter.
Libre 1 isn’t very accurate below 5ish. It told me I was dead a few times. I verified with a prick, and I was indeed alive. Verify with a prick when you get low,

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Libre 1 isn’t very accurate below 5ish. It told me I was dead a few times. I verified with a prick, and I was indeed alive. Verify with a prick when you get low,
Just had to laugh at your description - sorry I do tend to laugh when I shouldn't and it is not personal just my warped sense of humour.... that keeps me going :hilarious:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Ahem.