The GP messed up a prescription change

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got a bit of a kerfuffle earlier because my GP messed up a prescription change.
1st I noticed we didn’t get any Tresiba. Fine, we still have two full pens, whatever but we called so I can get them in May.
The NovoRapid and Fiasp were supposed to be in my prescription, but the NovoRapid wasn’t given as it was gonna be wasted. Because they took off the long acting insulin but the pharmacist noticed that!

Also in there I was supposed to find 2 Libre 2s. I was gonna brush this problem off if they got everything else correct but hey ho look what they give me? Two more Libre 1 sensors which I’m now going to be using up! So the Libre 2 switch over isn’t happening until May! We travelled on my birthday to get this script and they messed it up! On my birthday we discovered it!!! Now stuck with only one active Tresiba pen and one in a box and will have no choice but to use this pair of Libre 1s as I am not wasteful! I will just be using them until May because the doctor forgot to add the Libre 2s onto the prescription! We called so we can get them in for May but we will be just fine with the added Libre 2 delay.

EDIT: According to the incorrect new prescription, NovoRapid “should” have been given alongside Fiasp, but really Fiasp should be alongside the Tresiba

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

When was a appointment with your endo?
They normally report to & instruct the GP, these days..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What an utterly annoying birthday 'present'.
Hope the rest of your birthday was better, and make sure you'll have enough insulin, even if you have a pen malfunctioning!

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How frustrating, especially on your birthday. I tend to use my pharmacy to put through a prescription, it’s always more accurate. Does yours provide this service or can you move to one that does?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can't you just ring up the doctors to try and get it sorted out before May for the insulin anyway - I know mine will help if they can - for instance I had to talk to them about something yesterday - the letter from the hospital wasn't entirely clear that they should prescribe but my docs have anyway with the caveat that any more will definitely need a better letter from the hospital - ie I've got a month to get it sorted, noting that this wasn't insulin so not as important but my docs have done what they can, yours might be able to get something sorted at least before May at least for the insulin (the libre 2 is another story totally)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have online access to your surgery system so you can check and order your prescriptions? I am able to spot the rare occasions when my surgery has made the wrong change to my prescriptions and can also ask for extra items

Reactions: JMK1954

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got a bit of a kerfuffle earlier because my GP messed up a prescription change.
1st I noticed we didn’t get any Tresiba. Fine, we still have two full pens, whatever but we called so I can get them in May.
The NovoRapid and Fiasp were supposed to be in my prescription, but the NovoRapid wasn’t given as it was gonna be wasted. Because they took off the long acting insulin but the pharmacist noticed that!

Also in there I was supposed to find 2 Libre 2s. I was gonna brush this problem off if they got everything else correct but hey ho look what they give me? Two more Libre 1 sensors which I’m now going to be using up! So the Libre 2 switch over isn’t happening until May! We travelled on my birthday to get this script and they messed it up! On my birthday we discovered it!!! Now stuck with only one active Tresiba pen and one in a box and will have no choice but to use this pair of Libre 1s as I am not wasteful! I will just be using them until May because the doctor forgot to add the Libre 2s onto the prescription! We called so we can get them in for May but we will be just fine with the added Libre 2 delay.
This is shockingly common. It’s almost as if some doctors can’t or won’t read or hear what patients say. When I requested in writing to be changed over from Libre1 to Libre2 sensors I was prescribed only one sensor and my monthly repeat prescription was left unchanged to two Libre1 sensors. When I called the surgery, after a long struggle to explain to the receptionist the difference between one Libre2 and two Libre1 to be replaced with two Libre2 she finally said she would message the doctor to get it sorted. Nothing happened for a week so I had to book a telephone appointment with the GP who said she had received no message with no explanation why she had not done the correct thing in the first place. We all know they are very busy but a little care would save everyone a lot of time!

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My best was when they removed the lancets from my prescription. GP couldn't seem to sort it so the hospital sent them details to add to the prescription.

4 weeks later after numerous phone calls I was told it was sorted and i should collect from the pharmacy. They had a box of Lantus waiting for me.... took nearly 4 months from removing the lancets to getting them put back on the prescription!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Sad story and not nice but everyone makes mistakes. There's still plenty of time for you to get the right prescription and all will be well.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't you just ring up the doctors to try and get it sorted out before May for the insulin anyway - I know mine will help if they can - for instance I had to talk to them about something yesterday - the letter from the hospital wasn't entirely clear that they should prescribe but my docs have anyway with the caveat that any more will definitely need a better letter from the hospital - ie I've got a month to get it sorted, noting that this wasn't insulin so not as important but my docs have done what they can, yours might be able to get something sorted at least before May at least for the insulin (the libre 2 is another story totally)
We already got it sorted. I have enough Tresiba to last until May. They want me to use this extra Libre 1 (well it’s just more a case that using this Libre 1 was inevitable) and keep the other extra as spare... I wanted to use a NovoRapid cartridge we changed on Wednesday until it ran out but nope. They wouldn’t let me.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sad story and not nice but everyone makes mistakes. There's still plenty of time for you to get the right prescription and all will be well.
He probably had to rush to get a phone call appointment done.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I saw a DSN on March 2, that’s when they changed it but the old prescription was ordered just as that appointment was taking place so it wouldn’t have been until at least this month anyway

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is shockingly common. It’s almost as if some doctors can’t or won’t read or hear what patients say. When I requested in writing to be changed over from Libre1 to Libre2 sensors I was prescribed only one sensor and my monthly repeat prescription was left unchanged to two Libre1 sensors. When I called the surgery, after a long struggle to explain to the receptionist the difference between one Libre2 and two Libre1 to be replaced with two Libre2 she finally said she would message the doctor to get it sorted. Nothing happened for a week so I had to book a telephone appointment with the GP who said she had received no message with no explanation why she had not done the correct thing in the first place. We all know they are very busy but a little care would save everyone a lot of time!
I think he had to read it and change the script like 10 mins before a phone call or something, hence the mistake by removing the Tresiba and not changing my Libre sensors to the 2

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That was already sorted

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How frustrating, especially on your birthday. I tend to use my pharmacy to put through a prescription, it’s always more accurate. Does yours provide this service or can you move to one that does?
The pharmacy does the orders, just they have to do them to the detail, but they were vigilant enough to not give NovoRapid, I’d have had more NovoRapid than needed. They had to give me the Libre 1s as they were on the script. :(

oh well.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m happy to wait until May for Libre 2s but with the suggestion I use just one of the two Libre 1s and use the other one as a spare means I either gotta go back to the pharmacy in 2 weeks or just go with no sensor for 2 weeks, I’d have preferred not to waste that other Libre 1 or any NovoRapid but the hospital said I have to switch to Fiasp tomorrow. Ok, wouldn’t be so annoying if my cartridge had run out the day after we got it but we’d already replaced a cartridge yesterday.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m happy to wait until May for Libre 2s but with the suggestion I use just one of the two Libre 1s and use the other one as a spare means I either gotta go back to the pharmacy in 2 weeks or just go with no sensor for 2 weeks, I’d have preferred not to waste that other Libre 1 or any NovoRapid but the hospital said I have to switch to Fiasp tomorrow. Ok, wouldn’t be so annoying if my cartridge had run out the day after we got it but we’d already replaced a cartridge yesterday.
1. Libre 2 is a sensor, that is largely identical, and being without it for another month is not a big deal.
2. I’d prefer not to waste, considering how many items of medicine does get wasted and just items being wasted in general, but they say health is more important

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My surgery has a pharmacist attached to them now. He sometimes decides to change things with no apparent reason. Have been buying my own BD needles as the prescribed ones cause bruising. DN said she would change prescription to BD ones and she did - but when I collected them from the chemist he had changed them back to the poor ones. .Over Christmas I was left without any meds as needed a review on the phone with him - only no one told me.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

And they did report it to the GP, it’s the GP and not really the Pharmacy

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My surgery has a pharmacist attached to them now. He sometimes decides to change things with no apparent reason. Have been buying my own BD needles as the prescribed ones cause bruising. DN said she would change prescription to BD ones and she did - but when I collected them from the chemist he had changed them back to the poor ones. .Over Christmas I was left without any meds as needed a review on the phone with him - only no one told me.
Bummer! That is so annoying.