Essential info for choosing a pump

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been busy trawling through the mass of NHS sites to find some clear info on what pumps are available. I know this question has been asked, and answered before, but I wanted to see some definitive info.

On my travels I came across the Centre for Evidence-based Purchasing (CEP), which is the department of the NHS which publishes recommendations on the use of medical devices. They have produced 'buyers guides' for a number of devices, including insulin pumps.

The guide covers all the aspects of choosing a pump, and also includes ratings based on the opinions of diabetics using the devices. I have provided a direct link to the guide as I feel it would be invaluable to anyone deciding on what they need from a pump.

This is publicly available information, so I hope that there is no issue with posting it here.

http://www.pasa.nhs.uk/pasa/Doc.aspx?Pa ... P08004.pdf
Really wish I'd seen this before I got my pump back in November. Thanks.

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I received the Verio IQ meter for completing the hypo training on diabetes.co.uk which I am thrilled about as it easily tells you when it finds a high or low BG trend.
Unfortunately having the Accuchek Aviva Combo means I use the handset for BGM which is handy for calculating insulin etc. But now I have two meters with different benefits and they don't talk to each other.
Pity.
Don't really want to do two tests every time and pretty sure NHS won't supply double strips.
Does the Accuchek allow manual entry of BG? I know it allows manual insulin needs directly but can't seem to see any way of manually entering BG

Spoilt I know - I want all the technology. ;)

jgordon5

Just to point out to everyone that currently the market for insulin pumps & CGMs in the UK is changing so rapidly that reports like the one quoted as well as nICE Technology Appraisals get out-of-date very quickly. The Purchasing Guide is already badly out of date: it does not take into account, as stated, that Cozmo has disappeared; that Animas 2020 is now marketed by Animas Corporation, not by Advanced Therapeutics UK; that Accu-Chek Combo (Roche) pump is now here; that Medtronic Paradigm Veo has been launched in the UK (albeit currently awaiting the 2nd version due to discovered software problems); that Cellnovo tubeless minipump has been launched; that Medtronic pumps communicate with CGM and that DexCom Seven Plus, Abbott Navigator 1.5 are already here, and will soon be integrated into a number of the pumps mentioned. The price guide also is going to be invalid soon if not already.
The future is here.... :wink: 8)

I don't know whether anyone will see this as the thread was started so long ago but I'm trying to find out as much as I can about pumps because I'm hoping I'll be able to start using one soon.
So I looked for newer reports on government sites and there don't seem to be any newer than 2008/9. That's a bit alarming in itself! Unless I'm mistaken and you or someone on the forum has found newer ones?

If you have any more up to date information or guidelines, I'd be grateful for any help. Thanks very much.

Reactions: 2 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I would also like more up to date information as I have been put forward for the pump this morning, but won't be starting it until November, so any info would be a blessing

Reactions: 2 people

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I chose a pump from the input nhs list but then it wasn't available in my trust area. Best to ask your team what they have as you can only get what they're trained in.

Reactions: 4 people

johnny37

Im choosing a pump at the moment. Seems to be a lot of support for Accu-Chek Combo. Gives me more confidence as I have been on this for 4 years without using the handset functions.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Im choosing a pump at the moment. Seems to be a lot of support for Accu-Chek Combo. Gives me more confidence as I have been on this for 4 years without using the handset functions.
The combo, vibe and 640G are all, if you ignore the handsets and CGM very similar. They all offer basal rate, TBR, various bolusing options and really this is what you need. Beyond that, it's all bells and whistles, and some of those are really handy. A remote is great for discretion. Smartguard is great for those who have lost hypo awareness. Dexcom is great for cheap CGM. Take your pick!

barme1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for this information. I have been told by my consultant that it would be best for me to go onto a pump. I am trying to research as much information as I can before I commit. I have looked at the information and I have found it to be very helpful and this will help me in making my choice. I am just waiting for an appointment to speak to a pump user then I will make my final decision.

Hba1c 11.5
I have been on a pump for 10 years. After 50 years of injections . I will stay with the pump.

hopeful84

Hi to All!
I come from Poland and at the begining I'd like to sorry for my English as I have started learning so pls forgive me that, I am writing to You about help with choosing the insulin pump between Paradigm 715 and Accu Chek Combo or anything else if You can recommend sth? second question is about NHS, do You know how can I get the insulin pump from the country where You live if I come from the other country? is it possible? One month ago my dad passed away and I am afraid of my mom . I decided to do my best to help her so I am here and looking for any way to get it as I heard it makes life better and easier. I will be grateful for any information.. Best Regards

*edited to remove email address

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gvintagedrken

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At my appointment yesterday the Dr talked about animas stopping. With Medtronic and Roche these were the only pumps available in Northern Ireland. I asked if that meant another of the 6 NHS Approved pumps would come to NI. Was told no, you just have the choice of two now.

Doggie Jane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At my appointment yesterday the Dr talked about animas stopping. With Medtronic and Roche these were the only pumps available in Northern Ireland. I asked if that meant another of the 6 NHS Approved pumps would come to NI. Was told no, you just have the choice of two now.
I have also been told i have to replace my animas pump. My options are Medtronic640 and Roche Insight. What are peoples recommendations?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Doggie Jane I use the 640g and think it's a great pump, but have no experience of other pumps, I think if you have a choice then do some research listing pros and cons of each to try and arrive at your preferred choice, as you already understand pump functionality it should be easier decision than if you were a newbie to pumps.

Reactions: Sweetheart66

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have also been told i have to replace my animas pump. My options are Medtronic640 and Roche Insight. What are peoples recommendations?

I'm in the same boat as yourself. Love my animas, but is out of warranty so Medtronic 640 or Roche Insight are the choices. My main issue is which is easier to see and work with while having poor eyesight.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
is it me but one of the best small pumps is the ACCU - CHEK SPIRIT COMBO which like most things until you loose it will be one best around pumps i have used in all sorts of forms since 2007 indeed the INSIGHT which for i got taken off by choose not very good for me very slow now back on normal small remote handset all sort of options indeed when on KEMO and STERIODS and as one may know sends blood sugars very very high indeed so much for the 4 days i use doubles up insulin both basel and bolus
indeed on this day i had my first of 2 operations on Easter Sunday NOW I HAVE A VERY DIFFICULT JOB A NEW PUMP WHY MY PUMP IS NOW GOING IN TO HISTORY BOOKS not keen on patch pumps as i only have a small area of body to after 64 years of needles arms and legs are out o well onwards and upwards think might have to find a way to get another ACCU CHECK BEFORE THEY GO grand day to all VIC